Gransnet forums

AIBU

To treat my son's home as a holiday venue, while he's there?

(62 Posts)
Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 23:06:04

I used to wash up and tidy the kitchen when I went to look after the DGC until I read on a thread that DILs may not like that, so perhaps check which chores your DIL would like you to do. If she says 'none' then just clear up your own mess.
Although I must say that my DIL always seemed grateful if I did do it.

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 23:01:56

Can I come too?
Can we all come please - I'll wash up.
I want to see those 'fantastic metal trees'.

Farmor15 Mon 29-Jan-18 22:59:30

Sounds OK to me. I visit son and family in another country a few times a year, and like Tennisnan, do shopping and cooking and as they have 2 small children,babysitting. I just check in advance whether planned dates suit.

I think as long as you can be independent about travel etc, don’t expect to be entertained and help with housework and costs, that you shouldn’t worry and enjoy visits.

M0nica Mon 29-Jan-18 17:31:33

Have you tried asking him?

123flump Mon 29-Jan-18 17:06:10

Ask them if it's OK. Some people would love it and some wouldn't.

NotTooOld Mon 29-Jan-18 16:26:09

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me but couldn't you just ask them how they feel about your visits? If it's starting to bother you could you stay in a hotel or self-catering instead? That way you'd still get to see your son but without the angst.

Eglantine21 Mon 29-Jan-18 16:23:34

Just go and enjoy yourself. Is it Singapore? Can I come too? grin

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 16:22:34

I never thought of that Bathsheba!

Bathsheba Mon 29-Jan-18 16:18:22

Perhaps the son lives somewhere where polygamy is permitted, so he has a wife and a fiancée Jalima grin

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Jan-18 15:46:12

Perhaps they thought you should have stayed longer?
I am a bit confused - who is the fiancee?

BlueBelle Mon 29-Jan-18 15:43:54

I don’t understand what you asking only you can possibly know the answers is it worth worrying about Don’t look for problems where there doesn’t sound as if there are any

Tennisnan Mon 29-Jan-18 15:37:27

My son and his wife live in the Far East for his banking job. I love the city he lives in. Is it wrong to visit twice a year for 2 weeks? While I'm there I - buy their food and mine, and cook it, do chores and errands for them, ask them not to change their schedule or use up holiday allowance to occupy me, contribute to aircon bill, tidy up after myself, go to bed early several nights to give them alone time, get myself to and from the airport. When he visits me over in UK he goes straight back to treating our home as his home which I love. They both say we love you visiting but fiancées mum said recently when we met "didn't you have a really long stay last time? Did you enjoy yourself?". It got me thinking they've commented unfavourably to her about my visits. She only stays about 4 days at a time but she's always on a journey to/from New Zealand visiting relations so has had her holiday somewhere else - and stays with relatives.