Gransnet forums

AIBU

To not tell them yet?

(94 Posts)
SunshineMakesMeHappy Sun 18-Mar-18 16:48:06

This is going to sound garbled so I'll apologise now but I promise I'll try to make it make sense by the end!

I was quite ill about 15 yes ago and I didn't tell anyone (my children) until I knew for definite what was wrong as I just don't like to worry them unnecessarily.

I have been worried recently, for the past few months, as I've had some of the symptoms of breast cancer- nipples going inverted, like they're being pulled inward and some pain in that area on my left breast.

Anyway, I eventually went to doctors last Friday and am due at the hospital on Wednesday for the tests and stuff (they told me to allow 4 hours for appointment)

This has obviously been on my mind and as far as I can tell I've been a bit quiet and not talked as much, or been as bubbly as usual.

I have not wanted to tell my kids anything until I know for sure, although I'm doubting the wisdom of that!

I had a big argument, starting over nothing really, with my DD, and I told her
'You wonder why I can't tell you anything when you're like this with me!'
Anyway, she told my other DD, although I'd asked her not to as I knew how she'd probably react!

So my other dd was mad at me too and said I cannot see the DGC until I tell them what's up, what I'm not telling them.

For me this is the really weird part. I feel kinda numb. I was very upset when she told me but now I just kinda tell myself no and I refuse to dwell on it but I know my heart would be breaking if I allows myself to think about it.

This kinda thing happened last time in a way (ex buggered off as he couldn't cope with my news)
And I didn't deal with any of that till months later.

So it feels like that's happening now, like I'm in shock.

I just cannot tell them until I know for sure.

I have been seeing my dgc every day, and now, nothing.

Don't know what I'm asking for, just wanted to get this out of my head!

Millie8 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:10:51

In my opinion, you did exactly the right thing by telling them. Even if they are upset and worried, they want to be there for you because they love you.
Wishing you all the best for the appointment.

Yogagirl Tue 20-Mar-18 09:44:34

Joelsnan flowers

OMG Blueskies hope you told the doctors what happened with the bad news. xx

blueskies Tue 20-Mar-18 10:46:22

I did change my GP. I discussed what had happened with a friend who is a retired hospital consultant. As he said " we all can make a mistake". In my case it was the system as my notes were muddled. When I went through them with the practice manager I noticed I had a husband ( wasn't aware of that as I am a widow! ) and I could see the other patient's test results etc. I requested my full medical notes plus hospital and they arrived addressed to the other patient. (similar name). I always check at every contact with the NHS that I am who I am! Maybe I should check out that "husband's" pension and assets .......

Angelwhisper Tue 20-Mar-18 12:38:02

Just want to wish you all the best and send a big hug. I am similar to you and feel I can hold it altogether if I handle it alone and don't put an added burden of worry on my children however the strain does show and maybe the time has come to say that at the moment you are feeling very stressed over something and that you love them all very much and were trying to protect them from worry. All this at the moment is causing you much more worry than you need and I am sure if they know your concern they will rally round you. Will be thinking of you having went through a similar health concern I realise the pressure you are under.

Mythbirtthedragon Tue 20-Mar-18 18:14:22

This has brought back so many memories of how I behaved after my BC diagnosis in January 2013. Who, when, what to tell. My partner nearly collapsed when I told him and I wanted to know more about what the diagnosis meant before I told other people. My son was also approaching his GCSEs so no stress there. While I was pondering, my daughter (who'd been a bit flakey for a couple of years), announced she was pregnant. At least it gave me the chance to say to people I had some good news to counter some bad news. I paced myself telling family (my 5 siblings all live 300 miles away so that was a string of phone calls), friends and colleagues although waited til I'd shaved my head during chemo to let external colleagues know. If anyone asked how I was/what was going on, I talked to them about it. I also spoke to Macmillan who are an incredible source of information and advice. I felt incredibly supported by all of them and I'm sure this is what helped to get me through, enabled me to keep working and playing tennis and be at the birth of my GD two days before my last chemo.

Yogagirl Wed 21-Mar-18 07:42:07

Myth flowers

Daisyboots Wed 21-Mar-18 08:52:01

Good luck for today Sunshine always me happier

BlueBelle Wed 21-Mar-18 08:57:15

Good good good luck for today fingers firmly crossed

Alexa Wed 21-Mar-18 09:03:15

Your daughters have a right to be worried unnecessarily about their own mother.

seacliff Wed 21-Mar-18 09:13:33

Thinking of you today Sunshine flowers

luzdoh Wed 21-Mar-18 14:07:16

SunshineMakesMeHappy I've been thinking of you. I hope today went well.

I hope your daughters will see the disagreement as a storm in a teacup.

Our relationships with our daughters are very emotional - I know this only too well. They really prefer us to be emotionally fine all the time. But now you've had your appointment you will tell them you have been to the hospital and all about it. They need to know. I am sure all will be well with you all. flowers

SunshineMakesMeHappy Wed 21-Mar-18 16:31:59

Its fine, woohoo!!

The mammogram hardly hurt at all, more like a bit uncomfortable.

They had to an ultrasound because of a thickened area behind my nipples.
That just showed some enlarged ducts which the consultant said just come with age for some people.
He also said I was right to get it all checked out as the symptoms can be BC

I feel really weird now, must've been so wound up!

Both my DDS came with me, and the baby!
They had bought enough snacks to feed a small army!

It made it all so much easier having them there, and we all nearly cried at the result!

Regarding my parents, my DD and SIL took their DC over to see them when they were about 18 months. I kinda encouraged this because I thought they may be nicer to them than me. But no, they threatens to hit the girls for being noisy, and swore at my DD when she said she never has or will hit them. They were vile and my DD cut the trip short. They were also very kind and nice to my sisters c.
So it seems that their hatred of me has transferred to my DC.
I can never remember a time growing up when I wasn't being told I was stupid fat and ugly, they also hit me a lot too.
When I was abused at 8 yes old they said it was my fault for letting him.

So despite all that, I didn't stop my DC from seeing them if they wanted. But whilst there my DC were ignored if sisters kids there, which they told me years later!
They were/are very cruel to me and when I have tried on the many occasions to reconcile they revert to type within hours. I finally went nc when they also hit and kicked me

MissAdventure Wed 21-Mar-18 16:34:58

So glad you hear its all ok. (Not glad to hear of your young life though)
You must be exhausted!
Woo hoo!! smile

SunshineMakesMeHappy Wed 21-Mar-18 16:36:02

Oh, my DD said she'd said it to shock me into telling them and is sorry. We had a bit of a chat and I told her I would have to watch what I say now incase she threatens that again.
Don't think that's the end of that conversation but will probably talk more in next few days

Yogagirl Thu 22-Mar-18 09:37:03

So very happy for you Sunshine so nice to hear your two DDs & your GC came to support you, as you say it made all the difference to the visit, if you'd been sitting on your own it would have been awful, and a little bit of extra bonding with your DDs. Wonderful to hear your result is clear, you can now go forth and enjoy flowers, maybe your DDs will appreciate you more now too.

Oh dear Sunshine so very sorry to hear how unkind your parents were to you, I suppose not all parents are good ones sad

seacliff Thu 22-Mar-18 09:53:32

Very glad for you, and wonderful you shared this scary day with your daughters, it must have made you all closer.

Whatever has happened in the past is gone, sounds like you had a tough early life. Now hopefully you can forge a strong supportive loving family with your own children and the next generation.

Alexa Thu 22-Mar-18 10:16:46

Poor Sunshine the little girl. How cruel1

I am so glad to hear the happy ending , all the support also the good news from the doctor. Happy Sunshine flowers

AmMaz Fri 23-Mar-18 07:38:52

SunshineMakes... I find it really weird how you are doing a big secretive number on your family over this, creating more of a drama and bad feeling then your post suggests you'd really want.
This is about you and your not coping, projected onto your daughters who now have to be the ones seen to be not coping. It's your mystery performance they're not coping with!
My every good wish goes out to you in this health ordeal but give your daughters a bit more credit in all this and get real. Good luck flowers