Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not to want to wear matching outfits?

(171 Posts)
grannywonder Thu 29-Mar-18 14:22:35

My youngest son is getting married later this year. I've really been looking forward to a lovely family 'do' as there's been some ill health in the family the past couple of years. I'd sorted out a lovely frock and was just looking for shoes when I got an email from the bride to be. She's sent me a link to a dress she'd like me (AND HER MOTHER) to wear? This is odd, yes? It's a hideous colour (on me anyway) and looks quite snug and I really don't have the figure to pull that off.
I really don't want to be all matchy matchy with the mother of the bride. How do I tell her - nicely of course - that this isn't for me? She's cced in her mum and they've been emailing back and forth raving over the 'wonderful' dress and how lovely we'll all going to look. It's her wedding, I know, but on top of it all my ex-husband will be there and I really don't want to look like a very dowdy sack of pastel. help!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:16:22

Chance would be a fine thing! You aren't likely to be going to
a wedding any time soon, are you?

If you really want to start off on the wrong foot with your daughter-in-law, just turn up in whatever you like, and say the matching outfit got lost with the rest of your luggage on the way.

annodomini Thu 28-Jan-21 13:53:35

This thread is almost 3 years old.

Callistemon Thu 28-Jan-21 14:05:31

The clothes have gone out of fashion grin

Lucca Thu 28-Jan-21 15:04:47

Maybe they wore matching outfits for the christening of the first child....and possibly second...

Callistemon Thu 28-Jan-21 15:20:46

All my clothes are out of fashion

Witzend Thu 28-Jan-21 19:26:47

I’d just say nicely that you’re very sorry but you’ve sorted a very nice outfit out already, and sadly that one wouldn’t suit you at all.

Blossoming Thu 28-Jan-21 20:15:59

As this thread is 3 years old they’re probably divorced by now!

TrendyNannie6 Fri 29-Jan-21 10:40:05

At first I thought your post was a joke, but continued reading and realised it isn’t, well I would let the bride to be know that I wasn’t going to be wearing the same dress as her mother, and that I had chosen mine and that is the one I will be wearing, ( I’d quite frankly be wondering if she’s starting dictating now how will she be after the rings on) I’ve never heard of this before it’s very bizarre

Primrose73 Sun 31-Jan-21 19:04:44

Sa the brides mother should look and feel special on her own, surely it is part of the fun for Mum andDaughter to choose Mum's outfit.

Nanban Sun 21-Feb-21 21:22:13

Maybe she is just being nice and thinks this will ‘include’. Just be honest and say you want to buy something special just for you, for your size and shape. Maybe don’t mention taste.

elleks Fri 05-Mar-21 12:55:54

Primrose73

Sa the brides mother should look and feel special on her own, surely it is part of the fun for Mum andDaughter to choose Mum's outfit.

I know this is a zombie thread, but while I agree it would be fun for the bride to help choose her mother's outfit she has no say in her MIL's.

nemzoff Thu 11-Mar-21 18:27:10

Use this as an opportunity to begin a discussion. Find out why it’s so important to her that you wear the same dress . She might be flattering you , “ I now have two inportant women in my livesc” You can explain you’d like to share your complicated feelings. You understand it’s her wedding but it’s also a moment of awkwardness for you with your ex-husband and also the beginning of a lifelong relationship. You know you’ll have many disagreements in the future and this might be an interesting way to to find a way to come to compromise. Remember the wedding is one day but the relationship could last a lifetime and she might be picking a nursing home one day . It’s easy to feel self-righteous and nervous our anger but if we keep the long run in mind we can begin to make in-laws into family.

Lucca Thu 11-Mar-21 18:32:55

nemzoff

Use this as an opportunity to begin a discussion. Find out why it’s so important to her that you wear the same dress . She might be flattering you , “ I now have two inportant women in my livesc” You can explain you’d like to share your complicated feelings. You understand it’s her wedding but it’s also a moment of awkwardness for you with your ex-husband and also the beginning of a lifelong relationship. You know you’ll have many disagreements in the future and this might be an interesting way to to find a way to come to compromise. Remember the wedding is one day but the relationship could last a lifetime and she might be picking a nursing home one day . It’s easy to feel self-righteous and nervous our anger but if we keep the long run in mind we can begin to make in-laws into family.

This thread is almost 3 years old !!!

Spidergran3 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:50:47

Absolutely not! Liaising over colours with the brides mother and bridesmaids is one thing, but this is outrageous. Can you imagine the awful silence as friends look at the photographs, not to mention what people will think on the day. This is so odd - what is she thinking of. Really hope you can get past this one without too much grief. Best wishes ?

Spidergran3 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:52:23

? just realised how old this thread is! I wonder how it all turned out...

EMMF1948 Sun 21-Mar-21 13:36:06

Tell her you've bought some new jeans especially for this occasion. Make sure that whatever colour you choose will clash horrendously with her 'chosen colours'.

Callistemon Sun 21-Mar-21 14:17:44

Yes, I've had one bride dictate to me what my then 4 year old son should wear (he wasn't a pageboy, just a guest) and went to another extremely co-ordinated wedding - at least co-ordinated on the bride's side, so twee.

DD just suggested that her MIL and I chose colours which didn't clash with the general colour theme of the wedding, fair enough.
DIL was just very easy-going.

Choose a style which suits you, perhaps in a colour which doesn't clash. I doubt her mother will want to be wearing the same dress as you, what an odd idea.

Callistemon Sun 21-Mar-21 14:19:42

Spidergran3

? just realised how old this thread is! I wonder how it all turned out...

Oh bugg*r, we've been had!!!

I wonder if the couple are still together?
Neither of the first two couples in my post above are together any more!

alchemilla Sat 27-Mar-21 15:36:02

Zombie thread. Though it would be good to know how it all worked out.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Mar-21 15:44:25

This thread is 3 years old they re probably divorced by now why are people resurrecting it ???