Gransnet forums

AIBU

Funeral worries.

(33 Posts)
WildRoses Thu 10-May-18 20:24:51

I'm going to a funeral tomorrow and I am absolutely dreading it. I know there is no such thing as an easy funeral but this one is going to be so tough. It's for the mother of my boss. My boss and his family are really close friends of my husband and I. His mother was an absolutely lovely, genuine lady who always made such a fuss of me when she saw me and needless to say the family is devasted, but my friend/boss has just absolutely gone to pieces as he was incredibly close to his mum. I just have no idea what to say to my friend or his family. I feel so awkward at funerals anyway and feel no matter what I say it's just going to sound forced or stupid. I know nothing I say is going to ease the pain of the family. Please give me some advice.

Myym Fri 11-May-18 16:07:19

First funeral I ever went to I was aged 11 and it was for my niece who was just 1 week old. The sight of such an small white coffin was horrible and has remained with me for many years.
I have attended many funerals since then including both my parent's, however, the last funeral I attended was particularly harrowing as it was for a nephew and 2 of his friends...age 19, 18, 18 all sadly killed in a tragic accident that was not their fault.

annep Sat 09-Jun-18 05:40:14

mabon1 how sad and shame on your friends.

MawBroon Sat 09-Jun-18 06:36:17

I wonder how it all went WildRoses , I am sure your presence was appreciated.

Billybob4491 Sat 09-Jun-18 07:03:11

Unfortunately, like most people I have been to many funerals. If you are at a loss to say what is in your heart, perhaps by writing it all down in a sympathy card and handing it to bereaved may be of comfort to both you and them, particularly if a child has passed over.

gillybob Sat 09-Jun-18 08:03:35

I was at a close friend of my dads funeral last Thursday. Who was, like my dad, a life long Newcastle United supporter. The humanist service was both amusing and touching. In fact really lovely and a brilliant tribute to a lovely man.

I am at my DDiL’s grandfathers next Thursday .
2 thursdays in a row. Hopefully no more for a very long time !

Panache Sat 09-Jun-18 10:29:55

The warmth and comfort from a real hug or a gentle arm around the shoulder speaks a thousand words.
At such occasions, as all our dear Grans have mentioned repeatedly, with so much happening, the grief overwhelming ....... it is your presence and sincere hug that will more than suffice and probably stand out.

sodapop Sat 09-Jun-18 16:44:06

Not everyone likes close contact though Panache
When my daughter's husband died I remember her saying
' If anyone else hugs me I will scream' We are not a demonstrative family.