Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hurt and feeling unappreciated

(109 Posts)
Emm14 Sun 13-May-18 13:06:25

Hello wise ladies
It’s mother’s day today in my part if the world. My adult daughter bought me a beautiful gift and card but as usual, my adult son did nothing special - I got a text to wish me happy mother’s day.
My son hasn’t bought me gifts or cards for a few years now, he is thoughtless and I have accepted it - or so I thought - but it really hurts this year. He and his wife have recently had a baby and I have given them so much support over the past 6 months. Not only emotional and practical support but also financial. I am always here for them and they rely on me - and my husband - a lot. I am sad that my DIL hasn’t found it in her heart to even wish me a Happy Mother’s Day. I am so over giving and getting nothing in return. It isn’t the monetary value, I don’t want expensive gifts; I just want a token of appreciation. AIBU? What can I do to just accept my son and his wife are selfish and thoughtless? How do I stop giving? Thank you all

Nannyshell59 Tue 15-May-18 21:06:33

I too didn't receive anything from one of my sons and his wife. It hurt really badly. I have given them so much support, both financially and with childcare, so it was a real kick in the teeth. It's not about material things. Flowers cost a fortune at that time of year, so I wouldn't want them spending money and being ripped off. But a text/phone call - is that really too much to ask for?

alchemilla Wed 16-May-18 12:01:10

AmMaz

You said "we don't know how much subtle pressure he got from his wife (and her mum) that you had to be displaced as THE mother of the moment" - which certainly conjures up a picture of two conniving women getting OP's darling son to dial down his appreciation of his DM. I've never known any intelligent human beings who see life like this so I have no dog in this fight - apart from thinking it's a load of over sensitivity to expect bells and whistles from a new family just because Clinton Cards et al are invested in Mother's Day. I think the DS did well to text.

LuckyFour Wed 23-May-18 11:09:33

Could your husband have a quiet word with your son perhaps. Something like - "you know Mother's Day can be quite important to women, could you perhaps buy a card or small gift, you know how much she does for all of us".

FarNorth Thu 24-May-18 11:37:28

I do a lot for my adult DCs. They thank me at the time and very occasionally give me a little gift or card, usually not on a 'special' day of any kind.
I'm happy with that and wouldn't dream of sulking because they don't get in touch on any particular day.

oldbatty Thu 24-May-18 20:35:11

blimey get a grip. 100 years ago it meant something, not now.

Elrel Thu 24-May-18 20:45:36

GabriellaG - why would OP buy herself a flashy item and lie that it was from her DD? Read the OP - her DD bought her a 'beautiful' gift.
Good to read that so many posters don't give to receive and don't expect more than thanks for what they do for their families.

annep Fri 15-Jun-18 23:03:04

Some people have been a bit rude here in how they voiced their views. There are nice ways to say things.

DIL17 Tue 25-Sep-18 17:00:44

I know this is an old thread but found it looking for something else.

My husband never gets his mum anything for mother's day. hasn't since he was about 16. He loves her, but he says they don't really have anything to celebrate. Their relationship is quite formal.

My sisters and I love making a fuss of our mum though as she does a lot for us, we regular chat, go shopping etc.

As for me and MIL, I've never bought her a gift. She isn't my mum. On Mother's day I spoil my mum. We could be the world's best friends and I still wouldn't, that's my mums day for my attention.