Gransnet forums

AIBU

Trump Strong, May Weak?

(105 Posts)
Bridgeit Sat 26-May-18 09:50:15

Given that Theresa May is considered by many to be weak, & Donald Trump is considered to be strong, who would you trust to conduct negotiations in difficult & potentially dangerous circumstances.?

Deedaa Sat 26-May-18 23:23:39

Trump may think he is strong but he is incredibly thin skinned and tries to make up for it by being a loud mouthed bully. The jury is out on whether he has the beginnings of dementia or whether he has ADHD and isn't taking his medication. Either way he could be very dangerous and is doing America no good at all.

Day6 Sat 26-May-18 23:54:29

Trump is a loud-mouthed, egotistical, rich boy with the intelligence of a bus stop. He shoots from the hip and doesn't know the meaning of diplomacy.

May, whether you are a Conservative or not, whether you like her political stand or not, is a diligent, hard working, no frills politician. She has no side and plays with a straight bat. She doesn't need feminine whiles, praise, or glory. She just gets on with the job. In her short time in office she has been dealing with EU politicians, lawyers and advocates, ( delivering the mandate of the people, lest we forget) she has garnered world wide support for the UK regarding the use of deadly nerve agents on British soil and she has with the backing of NATO and our allies, fired warning shots against Putin and Syria with regard to their making and using chemical weapons against the people of Syria.

Let's just say, I for one am very glad she is at the helm. She's only been there for a comparitively short time, and there is no doubting she is a patriotic, calm and hard working PM. I can think of no other British politician who would have coped with the workload and necessary diplomacy she has had foisted on her by Cameron's hasty departure.

She gets my vote of approval. Trump is a one-off idiot narcissist. His style of leadership is jaw-droppingly bizarre and unique. And frightening.

Jane10 Sun 27-May-18 08:01:01

Well said Day6!

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 08:32:22

Well said Day6, well said. May is all you say, Trump is all you say.

henetha Sun 27-May-18 11:00:35

Brilliantly put, Day6

Davidhs Sun 27-May-18 11:33:18

Theresa is very strong, she is the one who wants a settlement between 2 warring factions she is tough and will stick it out. Unusually for a politician she is honest and has no agenda except a settlement.
Trump is a self serving idiot, who will fail in most of his policies because he is a dictator not a leader.

Davidhs Sun 27-May-18 11:36:42

Day 6 Good post

paddyann Sun 27-May-18 11:39:03

"a decent respectable woman" who hasn't a clue about the job she's supposed to be doing....only problem is theres no one in the tory party who is any better so for the time being folks ..we're in deep do do !

Iam64 Sun 27-May-18 11:50:19

I’m not a Tory, can’t imagine a time when I would be. Theresa May hasn’t had a lot of luck during her time as PM. As well as terrorism, natural disasters and The Donald to contend with, she’s surrounded by slimey, conniving, back stabbing colleagues.
The very idea that Gove would replace her as a caretaker leader for three years , when he’d step aside for Ruth Davidson sounds straight out of Yes Minister.

Jane10 Sun 27-May-18 11:55:37

paddyann Theresa May most certainly does have a clue of the job she's doing but it's a hellish job in which she cannot reconcile the various warring agendas around her. Anyone without her resolute nature would have run away long ago. She's not a populist she's just doing her best to carry out what the country voted for (rightly or wrongly)

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 11:58:13

Ruth Davison as PM ? No thank you

dogsmother Sun 27-May-18 12:09:58

Day6 well said.
But...Trump is going down in history and changing many things. Certainly not for the faint hearted.

lemongrove Sun 27-May-18 15:56:30

Yes, great post Day6 smile

I agree Jane she must have a terrific sense of duty, look at what has happened in the last couple of years, a lesser person would have run for the hills ( like Cameron).

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 16:04:59

She doesn’t do ‘where’s the camera ‘ and race around hugging people , doesn’t tell people ‘I feel your pain’ hug huskies, take centre stage at a pop concert. She just get on with being PM.

M0nica Sun 27-May-18 16:15:58

Trump, strong? You are joking. Stupid, pig-headed, balls bigger than his brain. Jumping up and down and shouting very loud is not strength. Look how he bottled out of meeting with of Kim Jong what his name/.

A clever man would wait to be stood up and then covered himself with glory by saying that he was prepared to go to all lengths, but Kim bottled it. Instead he made himself look a capricious weak man, dropping out like that. Mrs May would have been well up to this tactic and would have let Kim have all the rope he wanted and then said, how she was prepared to go to great lengths for this opportunity but Kim had just shown how capricious and weak he was.

Day6 Sun 27-May-18 21:29:03

If, as you incorrectly state Paddyann that TH " doesn't have a clue" ( and you say that because your biased against Tories) then no one does. TH has handled everything she's had thrown at her in her comparitively short time in office. Whist dealing with Brexit and opposing factions from all sides, she is also representing the UK very calmly and sensibly as we, and our al!ies, become involved in world crises of epic proportions.

I know several staunch Labourites who will never again vote for Labour whist Corbyn and hard left Momentum run the party. They have the grace to say Theresa May is an unflappable, capable and intelligent woman whose responses are measured and at every turn, for the good of the UK. She has an unshakeable sense of duty and a good brain. She outshines many male politicians and as a woman I feel she shows the world she is strong and the equal of her male counterparts, and better, in many cases. Trump cannot hold a candle to her.

He wants to 'make America great' at the expense of world peace and international diplomacy.

TM outshines him and many other world leaders at every level.

Do not pretend Cirbyn and do would even know where to start. Right now, we have Hobson's Choice as far as leadership of the UK is concerned. TH stands head and shoulders above her political peers. Criticise her so you want. She remains steadfast and unshakeable.

I have always been a floating voter. May would get my vote. I admire her as both a politician and a strong woman.

Day6 Sun 27-May-18 21:32:01

And I loathe my tablet for changing my words and letters! grin Apologies for typos in above post.

OldMeg Mon 28-May-18 06:56:34

There’s a preview button Day6.

Nelliemoser Mon 28-May-18 07:46:08

Trump is a total liability. He's not 'strong".
He is dangerous.
I don't trust Teresa may either but she is better than Trump.

In The UK no politician would have let an idiot like Trump have all that power .

British politicians do have to refer to their colleagues on important matters. UK prime minister's are subject to being brought down by votes of No Confidence.
They even got rid of Maggie Thatcher when her colleagues had felt she was over stepping her political power. We need such safeguards

Anniebach Mon 28-May-18 08:31:29

Labour MP’s declared no confidence in Corbyn, made no difference because Momentum members and the Unions voted him back in.

Fennel Mon 28-May-18 10:01:55

I wonder what are the chances of him chickening out from his visit to the UK? If he does, he'll be blaming our abysmal lack of security etc.
I agree about May, she's a Stoic. Husband disagrees.

MaizieD Mon 28-May-18 11:37:52

In The UK no politician would have let an idiot like Trump have all that power

Oh, I don't know. There's a sizeable portion of the population who thinks that Jacob Rees-Mogg would be a good PM.

Trump and May are both appalling in their own particular ways.

Jane10 Mon 28-May-18 12:03:38

May is not 'appalling'! Rees Mogg us a gift to the tabloid press rather than a serious contender.

OldMeg Mon 28-May-18 12:13:43

May made a huge error of judgements by 1) going for PM when she did (ought to have waited) 2) in calling a snap GE and losing her majority 3) during that campaign suggesting what came to be known as the ‘dementia’ tax.

Now she is being held to ransom by a bloody-minded ultra right handful of MPs.

She doesn’t impress me as a ‘leader’ as she has shown little understanding of the political mood in this country and is only holding onto power by the skin of her teeth.

Jalima1108 Mon 28-May-18 12:17:43

There's a sizeable portion of the population who thinks that Jacob Rees-Mogg would be a good PM

That would depend on the definition of sizeable

And no, I don't think Theresa May is appalling - and I think we need to keep away from extremism of either persuasion.