Gransnet forums

AIBU

I'm drowning in all his stuff

(80 Posts)
Acciaccatura Sun 03-Jun-18 09:35:16

I have been married to my husband for 45 years. We live in a reasonable sized house (4/5 bedrooms, 3 receptions, cellar, double garage) in the country. He is a kind and thoughtful man but one thing is driving me crazy. He will not let go of any of his stuff. How can two people not fit into a house that size. His stuff will no longer fit onto shelves and into drawers. He has so many clothes he never wears, inherited furniture, books galore, video tapes, old photograph albums, LPs not to mention DIY stuff. I could go on. I feel as though I'm drowning in all his stuff and I'm beginning to despair. Maybe it would stress him to let go of his stuff but surely not any more than it stresses me having to live with it day in day out. I have tried talking it through reasonably with him and he agrees with me. But nothing changes. I don't think anyone will be able to suggest anything I haven't already tried but here's hoping!

DollyPond Fri 08-Jun-18 13:18:36

I've had a similar problem as I've been in the process of clearing and sorting clutter for years since moving in to look after my elderly mother and some of the things have been hard for me to get rid of.

What has helped make it easier is taking photos of items of clothing so there is still a record of it but the item can then be released to charity.

I look online to see if a favourite vhs video is available on a cd which would take up less space and allow me to get rid of lots of those videos.

I put things into cardboard boxes over several weeks and make it a rule never to delve back in or I might have second thoughts. Then I phone a charity who come and collect the boxes. They will come in and carry heavy items downstairs so I don't have to do a lot of hauling about.

I also get onto Freecycle to advertise larger items as then the recipient will arrange the right size transport to take the item away for free.

A lot of it is psychological and the thought of just putting something special into a dustbin feels wrong so my way round that is to put the item into a bag and tie that and then put that into the bin.

Another thing which might help is to think about how much someone else, a collector maybe, would love those items.

At the start I would walk into a room, see all the stuff and walk out in despair, not knowing where to start but doing a bit at a time really ends up making a difference.

What else has motivated me is watching those tv programmes about hoarders as I didn't want to be thought of like that also when I checked online for a clutter clearing service and saw the price they charge I just had to get stuck into it myself.

Anything that I think might be worth money I put in an old suitcase on top of a wardrobe but those aren't large items.

I always wanted to clear the clutter but found emotional hurdles with some of the things I came across so I understand both perspectives on your problem.

annep Fri 15-Jun-18 22:45:34

newnanny you made me laugh too. Perhaps thats the best approach.

alchemilla Tue 03-Jul-18 19:35:45

I do recommend checking out your local council recycling yard. We have one that allows you to chuck the really chuckable, but has a place for unredeemable clothes (goes to rag recyclers) - plant pots, deck chairs, old LPs and tapes etc are put into a shop where people can buy them. Unfortunately hoarding is unfathomable to non-hoarders - had a friend whose DD cleared out a whole garage of unreachable stuff (including dead rats/mice) and all friend could say was "but there were wedding presents in there - what if the people who gave them came round?" The wedding was nearly 50 years ago, and the people would never have found them under the sacks of rotting clothes and photos. Friend's pain was heartfelt.

Fennel Tue 03-Jul-18 19:49:41

I've just seen this thread - same problem with my husband.
We've just moved into a much smaller house and he has realised it himself. Where to put everything?
But believe it or not he's still acquiring more stuff.
It must be a psychiatric syndrome with a name?