Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel just a little bit miffed.....

(142 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 07-Jul-18 14:33:17

Another friend and I drive a third friend around since her OH had to give up driving and she has never learned.
To be fair, the other friend probably does even more than me, but I take her to a Literature class we go to 10miles away every week, often drive her to the Dr (three times in the last two week) often take her and her OH to the supermarket on a Friday, even if I do not need to go, as I prefer to go midweek or to do an internet shop. I regularly drive the 3 of us to our local garden centre for a coffee or to Book Club in a neighbouring village.
What am I moaning about?
Well yesterday the non driving friend was waxing lyrical about how kind the other one is, how she is always available to help, how she puts herself out for anybody, blah, blah, blah.
I smiled and tried to rise above the childish “resentment” I felt! After all, who was driving her at the time? Who had driven her to three things this week already (twice on Friday) and who was feeling peeved?
Perhaps because I am on my own she feels I need to fill my time, but they are well off with two good pensions, no longer have the expense of running a car but if nobody is available to drive she struggles with a shopping trolley and a very inadequate bus service so why not occasionally book a mini cab? I have just filled up with petrol for the second time in under three weeks at £60 and am becoming increasingly conscious of the expense.
I am ashamed of my selfishness but have always tried to maintain my independence getting taxis if unable to drive anywhere. Perhaps I just felt miffed at the laurels being heaped on our third friend envy
Rant over.

GabriellaG Mon 09-Jul-18 19:07:13

gmelon
Coffee or tea and the pastries change, sometimes almond, sometimes a warm buttery croissant or other offering.
It's a chance to relax and I fully appreciate it after shopping. grin

SparklyGrandma Mon 09-Jul-18 19:16:43

I would my bit of shopping quick, then tell them you will be in the Waitrose cafe when they have finished their shopping.

jenpax Mon 09-Jul-18 19:44:34

gmelon You can get tea too but not cake I am afraid ?

jenpax Mon 09-Jul-18 19:51:34

stella1949 My maternal grandmother learned to drive at 60 so there’s no excuse for the never learned brigade! She had lived abroad with GF in a country where women were not allowed to drive, and they had a chauffeur. When circumstances obliged them to return to the U.K. my grandmother decided to take secret driving lessons (using my parents car to practise in as DM was in on the secret) and presented GF with her pass certificate whereupon he promptly went out and bought her a car?

Luckylegs9 Tue 10-Jul-18 06:52:15

She not much of a friend! Friendship is a two way thing. I would start by saying, Sorry, not around for the next week. Definately not be so available, it is so selfish and I would be doing something else when she asks next time, she can afford a taxi, do could you if you didn't run a car.. Have a bad tummy or something, anything to make her think how much you and the other friend do. As for expecting the kind tutor to do a 50 mile round trip well that is awful.

Fidget20 Tue 10-Jul-18 08:46:42

Mawbroon, try to find the courage to be honest with your "friend".
If she doesn't like it, it's her issue.
The reaction may go right the other way, you just can't tell.
This is your time now, to fill just how you want. You have no responsibility as such - unlike in youth, so it's time to think of No.1.
If you remove your availability then you won't have to listen to the "praise" of the other lady either, so it's a win-win situation. smile
Life is for living to the full, how you want

Eloethan Tue 10-Jul-18 08:54:32

I can't see why non-drivers are in for such criticism from some people here. I can't drive. I tried many times but was very nervous. Provided non-drivers don't behave like this lady has done, it's nobody's business.

I

Grandma70s Tue 10-Jul-18 09:27:59

I can’t drive either. I try not to rely on friends much, never ask to be driven anywhere, but am grateful if they offer. One friend regularly takes me to the supermarket. She is going anyway but goes out of her way to pick me up. She offered to make this permanent some yeas ago. It is very useful. At the moment she is recovering from an operation, and I really miss those trips. It was our chance to catch up, too.

I have tried offering to pay my share, but both she and the other friend who sometimes drives me just laugh and tell me not to be ridiculous.

I can’t use public transport, so I use a great many taxis. It may seem expensive, but it’s much cheaper than running a car. Drivers often seem to think using taxis is madly extravagant.

luluaugust Tue 10-Jul-18 09:39:23

Just thinking if this is an old friend you will know how much of the way she is carrying on is down to her OH illness, just let things drop back a bit gently, the Supermarket being the first to go that really is not necessary in this day and age and certainly not when it puts you out.

GabriellaG Tue 10-Jul-18 10:37:23

Jenpax

A pastry...not cake. smile

MawBroon Tue 10-Jul-18 11:18:57

Spot on, luluaugust (and others)
I fear she is ageing faster and becoming much more inward looking because of her OH’s condition.
So I don’t intend to begrudge her my time but will in fact be away and /or so busy (by my standards) over the next few weeks that the “cycle” will be broken.
What goes around comes around after all.

janeainsworth Tue 10-Jul-18 11:35:00

eloethan I don’t think non-drivers in general are being criticised, only those who expect to have the use of other people’s cars and time and take this for granted.
A lot depends on where you live. If you live within walking distance of reasonable shops or where there are plentiful buses or a metro, the not-driving is not so much of an issue than if you’re in a rural area with a bus once a week.

Jaycee5 Tue 10-Jul-18 11:40:43

I don't expect drivers to take me anywhere but have you ever tried suggesting going by public transport to people who drive. They look at you like you are demented.

MawBroon Tue 10-Jul-18 12:26:50

It an argument you could use here!
Only one bus an hour and you would need to change buses to get to the nearest supermarket! As for the Railway station, reconcile yourself to a £10+ minicar fare!

MawBroon Tue 10-Jul-18 12:27:29

It is NOT an argument ...I meant blush

janeainsworth Tue 10-Jul-18 13:00:06

jaycee I drive. I also go on the bus and metro and sometimes brave the London North Eastern Railway.
What’s your problem?

Jaycee5 Tue 10-Jul-18 13:21:41

janeainsworth Aside from the nastiness of your comment I don't have a problem. I was just giving a (slightly tongue in cheek) other view.
Of course people who drive use public transport but some rarely use it and it is their choice to drive rather than go a different way.

MawBroon Tue 10-Jul-18 13:25:57

I don’t think janeainsworth made any nasty comment at all.
As for saying people look at you as if you were demented, not my experience so I don’t know where that came from.

Jaycee5 Tue 10-Jul-18 13:50:24

MawBroon No. 'what's your problem' is a friendly comment!
Note to self, don't make tongue in cheek comment on Gransnet, and don't think you are necessarily entitled to join in with what you think is a friendly chat.

Alexa Tue 10-Jul-18 13:59:44

MawBroon you are right to be miffed. To praise a mutual friend to the exclusion of the present friend is discourteous. I doubt if your non-driving friend is being aggressive . It's more likely that she has not learned that lesson.

I wonder if there is a passage from Jane Austen that illustrates this: something for your Book Club?

janeainsworth Tue 10-Jul-18 15:02:31

jaycee My comment wasn’t intended to be nasty.
I just wondered why you seem to think that anyone who has a car would bridle at the suggestion that they use public transport. Most people I know do both. Describing them as looking at you as if you were demented seemed slightly over the top.

Note to self, don't make tongue in cheek comment on Gransnet, and don't think you are necessarily entitled to join in with what you think is a friendly chat.
No-one has suggested that you aren’t entitled to join an any thread you like, have they?

Jaycee5 Tue 10-Jul-18 16:05:31

janeinasworth I hate to think what phrases you use to people you are intending to be nasty to. If it wasn't intended you would have apologised.
It is called hyperbole. It was a joke. Of course I wasn't seriously suggesting that no one who drives a car ever uses public transport. There is no point explaining a joke to someone who has decided to take it seriously and use it against you.

Jalima1108 Tue 10-Jul-18 16:16:01

I don't expect drivers to take me anywhere but have you ever tried suggesting going by public transport to people who drive. They look at you like you are demented.

I just thought that janeainsworth was answering that statement which is not necessarily true of all drivers, Jaycee - in fact probably not true of most drivers who live near public transport.

Perhaps they looked like that because they thought it was a surprising question - especially if, like most older people, they have a bus pass which they use.

gmelon Tue 10-Jul-18 16:16:06

Oh dear I went away for just a short while. Lovely friendly thread.
What's gone wrong?

Jalima1108 Tue 10-Jul-18 16:17:26

perhaps we need you gmelon
smile