Gransnet forums

AIBU

Theresa May & Trump, why the negative slant ?

(162 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 13-Jul-18 18:22:48

Am I alone in thinking that Reporters & Journalists seemed hell bent on reporting the meeting of DT & TM in a particularly negative way,despite the fact that both of them were obviously making positive efforts & remarks in a civilised & mature manner?

Bridgeit Sat 14-Jul-18 11:30:05

It’s just the common courtesies of yesteryear, I’m not talking about the over the top bow & scrapings etc. But many of us remember & behave politely as parr for the course.
Giving up a seat for an older person was normal, these days you are more likely to fall over bags & legs the owners of which have earphones on & are oblivious to anyone outside their own world.

trisher Sat 14-Jul-18 11:50:59

gillybob because of all the protesters, half of whom probably don't know what is they are protesting about .
Oh I think they do. They are worried that someone, who isn't actually all that popular in his own country, because of his attitude, is over here to take advantage of a weak and unstable government, and do deals that will enable him to regain some standing in his own country, and that said weak government will be only too happy to hand things over to him. They abhor racism, sexism and beliefs that in earlier times would have been labelled as what they really are -fascist.

Anniebach Sat 14-Jul-18 12:08:41

The protesters were not at Windsor gilly, there was no reason for him to be late, being a few minutes late meeting a friend for coffee is not the same as being fifteen minutes late meeting a head of state . You choose to defend him , I choose to criticise a man who lacks manners and has no respect for anyone

gillybob Sat 14-Jul-18 12:38:43

I choose to give anyone the benefit of the doubt and I would go further and say it might have been slightly humbling for her maj (although I doubt it) to be kept waiting a few minutes . Just to build the excitement a bit grin I bet she’s not used to it. We have no way of knowing what made him late anyway could have been a perfectly genuine reason although I know many would choose to think it was deliberate .

Anniebach Sat 14-Jul-18 12:51:21

Should a 92 year old woman need humbling, you certaintly are a strong defendant of Trump gilly, or are you just happy that he didn’t show respect for the head of state because of your very strong dislike of her.

OldMeg Sat 14-Jul-18 12:59:20

Really Gillybob you would actually defend an ignorant, narcissistic, racist, mysogenist bully so you can take another of your swipes at the Royal Family.

Words fail me.....but doubtless you’ll hit back with one of your erudite comments!

Greyduster Sat 14-Jul-18 13:07:11

To be honest, I don’t suppose Her Majesty gave a toss about his lack of etiquette. She was probably just thanking the Lord that she only had to entertain him for an hour and not for the whole bloody weekend. She probably did a hop and a skip up the Long Gallery as soon as him and his entourage left the grounds!

Greyduster Sat 14-Jul-18 13:08:19

He and his entourage!!

OldMeg Sat 14-Jul-18 13:13:03

I bet ???

Elegran Sat 14-Jul-18 14:17:09

So that is why he marched briskly up the review line - not to shake up HM but to make up for lost time so that no-one was delayed further later on. How considerate of him!

Anniebach Sat 14-Jul-18 14:29:18

Queenie came out of his visit with dignity, he as usual was an offensive, ill mannered, prat. I was proud of queenie

gillybob Sat 14-Jul-18 15:02:01

I wasn’t party to his meeting with her maj (were any gransnetters ?) so have no idea how anyone can say he did not show respect .

Not a swipe at the royals at all OldMeg and nor am I defending DT . But just from the small amount of footage I have seen it seems they got a bit wrong footed, nothing more . Why make a mountain from a molehill ?

OldMeg Sat 14-Jul-18 15:08:52

It’s not just the Trump then who says one thing one minute then denies it the next!

oldbatty Sat 14-Jul-18 15:33:18

I know I have been dismissed from this thread as a saddo but here is my take on it.

These things are planned with precision. The security, who does what, where and when, will all have been gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Also we have at our disposal modern technology. If somebody is " running late", I assume there are ways this can be conveyed. Therefore nobody is left waiting around.

lemongrove Sat 14-Jul-18 15:46:47

I heard that Trump was invited by the Queen to review the troops, which is why he went on ahead to do it.
Much as I dislike the man and think him unfit for high office, he can’t be held responsible for everything.

MawBroon Sat 14-Jul-18 15:48:43

goodfortunecoffee.co.nz/2016/06/23/punctuality-is-the-politeness-of-kings-and-the-duty-of-gentle-people-everywhere/

The politeness of kings should extend to the “politeness of presidents , especially when they are guests”
Barging in front of HM, so that she had walk round him was unacceptable behaviour to his hostess, to a 92 year old woman and to the Queen whose hospitality he was enjoying. Oh if only the Guardsman's sword could have been put to a better use than merely ceremonial!
“Manners maketh the the man” - or the absence thereof says it all about the oaf.

merlotgran Sat 14-Jul-18 15:52:08

The whole thing reminded me of when I used to take my mother shopping. She'd point to something then walk off in the opposite direction and often as not walk in front of me then stop dead in her tracks causing me to do a sideways shuffle.

Trump probably thought, Where the hell is she?

gillybob Sat 14-Jul-18 16:54:23

grin merlot my dad does it too .

trisher Sat 14-Jul-18 17:08:05

Regarding the comments about it being rude if TM removed her hand from Trump's. Sometimes men do unacceptable things and need to have it pointed out to them that their behaviour is unacceptable, it isn't 'rude' to do so. Would Trump do this to a male PM? of course not. Did he do it to Angela Merkle? of course not.It's the second time he's done it to TM she should have worked out a dodging strategy. Of course she may like it.

merlotgran Sat 14-Jul-18 17:12:36

I doubt she likes it, trisher. 'Put yourself in a good light' must surely be her mantra in situations like this and removing her hand would have appeared churlish.

Anniebach Sat 14-Jul-18 17:28:54

How does one work out a dodging strategy in public

Riverwalk Sat 14-Jul-18 17:37:36

The queen is an expert at all this inspection of the troops and etiquette business, so to be generous you could say that Trump just turned the wrong way, was unsure or whatever.

However he has form, on his inauguration day I remember his leaping out of the car and up the steps, totally forgetting about Melania who was tottering on high heels holding on to a gift for Michelle Obama! President Obama was never anything but solicitous towards his wife.

Trump seems to be totally oblivious to anyone but himself.

He's a bully who likes to be in control, all that picking off fluff from Macron's jacket, bone-crunching handshakes, condescending hand-holding to put May in her place. He's truly unbelievable!

trisher Sat 14-Jul-18 17:38:04

You can do all sorts of things Annie. Hands behind your back, Fist clenched. Raise hand to brush back hair as he reaches out. Lift dress with the hand nearest him, not the other one. It just takes ingenuity and will (Oh but it's TM can't expect them!)

Iam64 Sat 14-Jul-18 19:04:47

I don't see how anyone can defend this boor being late for his meeting with the Queen, keeping a 92 year old head of state waiting in 80 degrees, then get in her way, causing her to step round him, then stride off so she can't keep up. It doesn't matter what your politics are - this man owes an apology to his host

Jalima1108 Sat 14-Jul-18 19:31:01

His mother failed miserably to bring him up properly.

Surprising, really, with her Scottish heritage.