Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why am I embarrassed?

(89 Posts)
Marieeliz Sat 01-Sep-18 10:11:17

Fairly new neighbour late 50's has, over the past couple of months, had a man staying over the weekend. The noise of their sexual activity during the night is making me feel uncomfortable.

Here we are and it is the weekend again, they go to the pub and return late, just as I am trying to go to sleep. I have lived in this house for many years, many tenants some having children whilst living there, but I never heard the noise I have heard with the last two tenants. Are people less inhibited these days.

It is a terraced house and all the bedrooms back onto one another so it is not is if I can move rooms. Cannot say anything jokingly as did not get on with her from her moving in a year ago.

Met up with an ex colleague last week and she is having a similar problem next door to her.

Nanny41 Sun 02-Sep-18 22:28:45

Loved the suggestions, especially the 1812, that was the best. As others have said, you could always when talking casually to your neighbour, ask her if their walls are as thin as yours, as she is quite new to the neighbourhood it is a logical question, asked in the right place.
I dont think you should be embarrassed, the neighbour certainly will be!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 02-Sep-18 22:40:43

If they continue just set speakers to the wall and play je taime, let's get it on and sexual healing at the wall. This worked on couple having tantric timed sex in next room on holiday. They looked somewhat sheepish the next day when at breakfast grin

Marieeliz Sun 02-Sep-18 23:09:00

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and you have at least made me laugh. Last night it was the Grandson and girlfriend around 2.30 am.

If only I had the nerve to carry some of your suggestions out. Rizlett she has the barking dog as well never taken out and left in the back garden all day.

When I told my ex colleagues, when I met them for lunch last week, I found out I wasn't the only unlucky one. One had the noise plus smells of drug smoking coming into her bathroom when opening the window to let the steam out.

When I get my Google mini I play all your music suggestions.

Shizam Sun 02-Sep-18 23:56:32

I had a mortifying conversation with someone in a similar tiny house. Had no idea how much noise we made. Just tell her. She’ll keep it down once she knows. Honesty is best.

Tea and cake Mon 03-Sep-18 07:21:57

A good rousing rhythm like 'staying alive' might get them to the end quicker! Brilliant suggestions here. Otherwise something like children's nursery rhymes, a complete turn off!

Marieeliz Mon 03-Sep-18 09:15:37

Shizam some months ago I, politely, requested she keep party noise down. She said "she would think about it". So I don't thing I would have much luck with that.

muffinthemoo Mon 03-Sep-18 12:30:21

Marie I am sure we can help you with a suitably romantic playlist for the Google mini.

I’m Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
Sexy And I Know It - LMFAO
Horny - Mousse T
Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
Vindaloo - Fat Les
Gangnam Style - PSY
Duelling Banjos - Eric Weissberg

You want something with a powerful but difficult to match beat

rozina Mon 03-Sep-18 17:03:39

What I do Marieeliz as I have neighbour noise (about the same as you), I take my TV headphones, turn them on and lay them on the pillow which produces the white noise. You can then easily turn the white noise up and down as you please. I DO have to admit creating white noise is the best thing.

moggie57 Mon 03-Sep-18 20:11:24

i cant get no satisfaction at full blast.

MamaCaz Mon 03-Sep-18 20:14:20

Or Ian Dury's 'Hit me with your rhythm stick'? grin

Chewbacca Mon 03-Sep-18 20:15:19

Perhaps best not to play Do That To Me One More Time by Captain & Tennille?

JackyB Tue 04-Sep-18 06:26:16

A strategically staged cat fight would be suitably anonymous, but cats are unfortunately difficult to stage manage.

SparklyGrandma Tue 04-Sep-18 17:39:04

Bang on the wall hard with something, rolling pin. If it doesn’t stop, bang again 5 minutes later.

Best to brutally direct, they are being so.