Gransnet forums

AIBU

Friend not invited to her daughters wedding

(80 Posts)
FlorenceFlower Thu 06-Sep-18 11:49:01

Not sure if this is AIBU or not but a friend is extremely upset that her daughter got married at the weekend and just sent her mother, my friend, a text to let her know.

The daughter has a long term live in boyfriend and three children under 7. For whatever reason, my friend hasn’t told me exactly why, but she doesn’t like her SiL and has never allowed him into her house, although she does love and look after all three grandchildren, including overnight stays.

Her daughter apparently had a church wedding and a lovely reception, but none of her relations were invited. As far as I know, her relations have not invited the young man into their weddings or events either.

To say that this has caused upset in my friends family is an understatement!

Pollaidh Sun 09-Sep-18 13:14:02

I've been watching this thread (we had a difficult time when DS got wed - but have put it behind us!) and just want to say that you must be a very special person FlorenceFlower, for your book group friend to have confided in you in the first place, and for the delicate and considerate way you have responded to her. flowers

FlorenceFlower Mon 10-Sep-18 07:20:07

Dear Pollaidh, thank you, that’s very kind of you. It’s been extremely helpful getting so many objective views from so many people. ?

Bighorse Fri 28-Sep-18 15:17:50

Why on earth would your friend expect to have been invited to the wedding?
I cannot believe she banned her son in law from the house

Bighorse Fri 28-Sep-18 15:20:26

But I hope everyone can move on from this and I do understand your friend’s hurt