Gransnet forums

AIBU

He chucked my stuff out!!

(59 Posts)
spabbygirl Sat 08-Sep-18 10:18:20

I had a lovely dog bed, green with flowers on from Jules & like a Sanderson fabric. I loved it but it did get tatty, the stuffing was bursting out of the seams, but I knew I could fix it when I had my sewing machine out. That is a palaver when you live in such a small house as this, and my mother has just died so I'm busy doing probate etc. I knew the dog bed was bugging my hubby, so I said I wanted to keep it & would repair it sometime. A few weeks later I said if it was bugging him would he put it in the garage if it was still annoying him. I came back a few days ago to find it not there, and hubby explained he'd put it in the bin a few weeks ago so it had gone to the tip. I'm furious and I've told him I don't want to live with him if he's going to keep chucking my stuff out. I am so cross with him I don't want to talk to him about anything other than essential stuff. We buried my mum yesterday, and I just feel so numb everywhere. AIBU?

GabriellaG Sun 09-Sep-18 15:19:25

Firstly, I'm sorry that you've had a lot on your plate recently and I hope you have people you can talk you through it and give ongoing support flowers
Secondly, I think that your anger re the dog-bed is partly fuelled by your angst at losing your mother, which is natural.
Have you got a dog and does it have a new bed? If so, I can see that having 2 in a small space might be unworkable.
I think the crux of the matter is your recent bereavement and you can see that as a double loss because of a well loved mother...and the loss of an item which became a familiar part of your home.
Men often don't get attached to items in the home, not like we women. Forgive him and explain the loss to you, was more than just a tatty dog bed.
Be kind to yourself and good wishes going forward. smile

Camelotclub Sun 09-Sep-18 17:11:33

You could be projecting your feelings about your Mum onto the dog bed - the feelings of loss, and naturally blaming DH.

If he's apologised try and put it behind you. And buy a new dog bed!

Madgran77 Sun 09-Sep-18 19:55:11

Not sure this is about the be but maybe about the lack of respect/care for your wishes that ou had expressed. I do think your sadness over your Mum might be making this seem so important at the moment though. I would leave for a little while and then discuss with him why he thought it was ok to ignore your express wishes and how to avoid such a situation arising again. flowers

Shizam Sun 09-Sep-18 22:45:38

So sorry about your loss.
If the dog bed was truly shredded, better to get a new one anyway. I’m also guilty of quietly chucking out stuff from the house when no one is looking.

spabbygirl Sun 09-Sep-18 23:06:10

thanks for that all, it has been such a help. the dogs rarely occupy all the beds, they're either on the sofa with us or or on our bed, they are much loved and have plenty of places for sleep & cuddles. It was very rude and insensitive of hubby, especially since I had suggested putting it in the garage. It was a fabric like a glorious old Sanderson style, and for the fabric addicts like myself, you can make something out of the tiniest scraps! Hubby will find himself presented with a large bill when I find a replacement, & if he does it again I will be moving out, I don't want to live with someone who cannot respect my space. He's just as bad with clutter and we have had a half finished kitchen floor tiling job, living with each others half finished jobs is just one of those things in a busy household I reckon. Thanks so much all!! smile

Rufus2 Mon 10-Sep-18 03:31:15

One clue F (have)

Jane10, POGS; Good Afternoon; batteries re-charged and raring to go! wink Reply from Bletchley Park to point out you made a critical error in attempting to assist, in that F should be pronounced "Eff, not "have". which combined with 9 (nein) conveys the pidgin German meaning better. Prove it by saying it out loud, with meaning! grin
That's what threw me.
I wasn't a Dill after all! wink

Rufus2 Mon 10-Sep-18 03:52:49

Oh Dear: Sorry about this. sad Really got my wires crossed. I've managed to copy it to its intended thread, but I may need assistance from HQ to remove this incriminating evidence, unless you're prepared to ignore it. I don't suppose you can throw it out with the rubbish? grin

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Sep-18 19:48:58

I don't suppose you can throw it out with the rubbish?
Ooh, red rags etc Rufus !!

spabbygirl I would wait and see how it all settles down and how you feel later when you are not so emotional. If it's any consolation, DH moans about my 'rubbish' but his 'treasures' are all useful
hmm