Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are they being deliberately unfriendly?

(35 Posts)
starbox Wed 14-Nov-18 17:52:43

My brother & his wife are dog mad and host a monthly meet of their favourite breed in a local field. I only have cats, but they've always been eager to discuss their club and even joined me to its Facebook page. So last month, hubby, (well-behaved, dog-adoring) 4 yr old granddaughter & I went over there. Had a very pleasant time, spoke to the members, granddaughter behaved impeccably. So when they posted another meeting, I suggested we go again. Got speedy message back saying they dont want friends & family going. So just messaged back 'no probs, have fun' but feel so upset at rudeness. I couldnt IMAGINE telling close relatives they werent allowed to a club I'd purposely advertised to them! AIBU ??

notanan2 Sat 17-Nov-18 13:41:56

I dont get why you want to go? I wouldnt wanna go to a book club if I hadnt read the book. I like dogs but wouldnt wanna go to an x breed dog meet up without a dog.

notanan2 Sat 17-Nov-18 13:42:42

(Or even with a dog if it was a different breed)

Bathsheba Sat 17-Nov-18 13:50:04

notanan I was just about to pose the same question. I don't really understand why the OP went along to the event in the first place.

Bathsheba Sat 17-Nov-18 13:50:17

notanan I was just about to pose the same question. I don't really understand why the OP went along to the event in the first place.

Bathsheba Sat 17-Nov-18 13:51:46

Sorry for the double post - don't know how that happened!!

starbox Sat 17-Nov-18 17:27:55

We really went because of granddaughter! She had time of her life- they've been running this for ages but I never felt particularly motivated to go before (although once they invited my elderly- non-dog owning mother.) And chance to catch up with them as we don't often meet up.

Cold Sat 17-Nov-18 17:43:25

We really went because of granddaughter! She had time of her life- they've been running this for ages but I never felt particularly motivated to go before (although once they invited my elderly- non-dog owning mother.) And chance to catch up with them as we don't often meet up.

I think that this may be the reason - that you are using their dog owners group as an opportunity for a family get together. I can imagine that some of the other group members were a bit taken aback by non-doggy people gatecrashing a dog club to catch up with their family members. It must really change the dynamic from being a dog owners event.

Why not suggest another opportunity for family time - perhaps suggest a dog walk.

Desdemona Sat 17-Nov-18 17:51:42

I think there is a dogging group at a park near me. Oddly it's at night. Luckily my dog prefers to go out in the daylight.

jenpax Sat 17-Nov-18 20:44:23

Why don’t you just ask them?