Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thank God Xmas is over!

(102 Posts)
Alexa Wed 26-Dec-18 19:41:29

Just New Year to get past and that is only a few hours long.

lemongrove Wed 26-Dec-18 19:45:11

Then normal service will be resumed?
wine meanwhile enjoy a few drinks and chocs?

annsixty Wed 26-Dec-18 19:45:57

Oh how I agree.
I would like to go to bed and wakeup on January the 2nd
It can't come soon enough for me.

Marydoll Wed 26-Dec-18 19:50:05

I just find it more exhausting each year.
However, it's one of the rare occasions, all of my childrena and partners are together in the same room, they are all so busy!

I'm off for a bubble bath, (courtesy of DD) and a glass of Prosecco. Cheers! I will raise a glass to all Gransnetters, but I'm not sharing it! I have earned it. tchgrin

merlotgran Wed 26-Dec-18 19:53:24

I feel a bit that way as well this year. DD's new boyfriend (although he's certainly too old to be a boy) and I refuse to refer to him as her 'partner' was such hard work we gave up in the end and left him to his own device phone. He hardly uttered a word all day and went to bed at 9pm. DD says he's shy. We think he's bloody rude.

She worked really hard cooking a lovely Christmas dinner. At least he ate it and finished off with three desserts - all on one plate!

The day was saved by the two DGSs who rose to the occasion with games and their usual hilarious jokes.

Of course we had to bite our tongues and that must be why I've felt exhausted today. grin

morethan2 Wed 26-Dec-18 19:56:54

Ohhh it’s hard work, I love Christmas but 18 yesterday, 14 today I think I’m getting too old for all this work in the kitchen.

Luckygirl Wed 26-Dec-18 20:07:58

Christmas has always been great - but yesterday and today have felt different. Instinct tells me that something is up with DSIL - he seems tired and worried. Can't put my finger on it.

M0nica Wed 26-Dec-18 20:08:00

For me Christmas is only about one third over. Yesterday and today have been quite quiet, just us and DD, Tomorrow the rest of the family arrive; DS, DDil and DGC. There will be a further exchange of presents, a pantomime, some walks and we will all be together to see the New Year in.

Yes, it is tiring, but worth every minute of it. We all get on well and I will find time to sit quietly with each grandchild and talk with them and I love it.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Dec-18 20:27:38

Our Christmas festivities finish on the 1st of January, yes it's hard work, yes we all eat and drink far too much, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love my AC, In-laws, GC, siblings and of,course Mr Gravy, we do not always agree, but that's life. We miss my parents, youngest AC cannot remember Mr Gravy's parents.

It's the only time that our business is closed, we can meet up as and when and just be a family without "work talk". We are not the Waltons, but we have fun!!!

Greyduster Wed 26-Dec-18 20:29:08

I don’t know which I find the more exhausting; not being allowed to do anything yesterday, or even poke my nose around the kitchen door, and being waited on hand foot and finger; or cooking a Boxing Day buffet for both my children and their families and playing mad games after it! I think, to be honest, it has to be the first! You have absolutely no control. You are a force fed captive! In half an hour I am going to hit the hay and tomorrow we travel to DS’s to start all over again! I have to finish my G&T first...... I may take another one to bed with me! We don’t keep New Year so after tomorrow I begin the great wind-down!

NanaandGrampy Wed 26-Dec-18 20:33:08

Not over here :-) and still loving it !!

Got a 2 day respite before prepping for all 10+ of us being together to ring in the New Year.

I like everyone to count as I’m on the downward slope lol

Anniebach Wed 26-Dec-18 20:35:29

Long three days , don’t have to wind down, didn’t wind up

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Dec-18 20:36:00

No, of course you’re not being unreasonable, but I don’t feel the same. I absolutely love it and feel really flat when it’s over and all the lights and pretty things come down (not a day before 6th January in this house). Even though I already feel totally discombobulated by lack of fresh air and exercise and ever so slightly sick from all that prosecco and trifle and all those marzipan fruits.....

EllanVannin Wed 26-Dec-18 20:36:46

Good job it's only once a year.

PECS Wed 26-Dec-18 20:36:52

We have had two lovely days with AC & DGCs . DD1 ex-partner was here to be with the kids..can manage a day..it is,Chrostmas,after all. Rest tomorrow and my younger brother and wife here, so DDs & kids will be back too! At least we will get through the cold turkey & ham!tchgrin

merlotgran Wed 26-Dec-18 20:53:54

I felt like you when our DGCs were small, N&G. Goodness knows where I found the energy from but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

It gets harder when they are adults. They all have their own lives, jobs, partners etc., and watching your DD trying to keep family traditions going because she loves them felt like a losing battle.

Yesterday I didn't mind admitting I'd lost! grin

Bridgeit Wed 26-Dec-18 20:53:55

Would ‘nt it be a bit ironic to thank God that Christ- mas is nearly over.

BlueBelle Wed 26-Dec-18 21:49:03

Thank goodness from me too, work tomorrow whoopee

Teetime Wed 26-Dec-18 22:14:02

This year was hard as we had only just had the funeral and we were all trying to just enjoy each others company which on the whole we did

H1954 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:26:31

Have to admit that the big day was not completely to my liking; men down the pub, women and kids at home, dinner served so late in the day; that scenario will certainly NOT occur in my home! The cheek of it, two women doing all the work, one of the four men so intoxicated he could barely stand, his GF acting like a spoiled princess sitting on her fat backside expecting to be waited on hand and foot! Flaming cheek!

Anja Wed 26-Dec-18 22:39:27

Christmas is over. For us it was December 23rd until tonight. Had a great time with loved ones.

Cherrytree59 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:39:32

Sounds a bit like 1954shock

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:51:39

It was lovely (mostly) and it's not over yet!

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:53:10

Ps the title of the OP is very strange, considering whose birthday we are supposed to be celebrating.

Bopeep14 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:54:51

I am glad its over too. Its been a very strange one this year.Christmas day Spent a couple of hours with my mum. Spent the evening with my daughter and her family but havent seen sight nor sound of my sons or their families they have spent both days with their in laws. Hubby and i spent today on our own. A very unusual christmas.