Gransnet forums

AIBU

Skirts or trousers?

(117 Posts)
SuzyP2 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:04:43

Is it me?
Most of my friends of my age (66) all say nobody of our age wear skirts any more, and most don't own one.
I wear trousers but prefer a nice knee length skirt, tights and ankle boots. Feels much more feminine than trousers or jeans.

pen50 Wed 06-Mar-19 13:21:19

I mostly wear dresses for work; I tend towards quite flamboyant, vintage-inspired frocks, especially in summer. I team them with slightly over-the-top, mid-heeled shoes (whilst I can still manage to wear them). Complete strangers have complimented me on my shoes and dresses! I buy cheaply; sales or secondhand (eBay is good). I would find it difficult to spend more than £50 on anything.

I'm an accountant and enjoy the inconsistency between my occupation and my appearance wink. It's part of my reinvention since widowhood and the big six oh in 2016; I wear what I like and feel good in, and don't give a damn about what other people think about how grannies should be attired.

Knee problems mean that tights are very difficult to put on, so if I need leg coverings I usually use hold up stockings.

Off duty I'm more likely to wear trousers - jeans, or brightly coloured cords in winter. In fact most of my clothing is pretty colourful.

Hymnbook Wed 06-Mar-19 13:23:51

I found l looked quitegood in palazzotrousers last year when it was hot. I can't wear heels any more because of a broken ankle last year.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 06-Mar-19 13:31:35

Most of the time I live in jeggings and t-shirts. I find them more comfy, warmer and practical. During long hot summers (if we get them) I wear my home-sewn sleeveless dresses. I used the pattern of what I consider to be a reasonably flattering shape so many times that it is practically falling apart.

Sheilasue Wed 06-Mar-19 13:58:27

Both although I have more jeans,leggings and two skirts.

sue01 Wed 06-Mar-19 14:27:12

Always skirts. Even for gardening. The one exception is the gym.

littleowl Wed 06-Mar-19 14:57:51

I had some lovely skirts when I was at work. Always worn with boots or ‘shoots'- which I still love btw.
These days it’s jeggings and I have found some great stretch jodhpurs which I wear for walking or gardening. Thicker than leggings but just the job.
Have you thought of culottes? They are great as a half way house and I love them - especially when its windy as I hate a skirt blowing up. Some of the cut off wider trousers look lovely too.

MTDancer Wed 06-Mar-19 15:11:44

I have lichen sclerosis and as such cannot wear trousers. I wear below knee skirts and stockings in this weather. Bit of a pain but does make me feel very feminine. It helps that I have very comfortable, pretty, suspender belts

Teetime Wed 06-Mar-19 15:12:29

I wear skirts and dresses a lot. I have to wear trousers for golf, croquet and netball so I want something nice and feminine and dressy on my day off. This afternoon I am at home doing admin so its a knew length swing dress for Jo Brown with leggings so its nice and comfie but girly too.

Rosiebee Wed 06-Mar-19 15:21:59

When I was teaching, I always wore skirts and med height heels. I liked the sound of going tapping down the corridor blush Since retiring nearly 9 years ago, I now live in jeans and black trousers in Winter and crops and linen trousers in Summer. I find it hard to wear my skirts now as I am more "rounded" and can't find tops that will go with them. Long tops make me feel squat and short ones show up my tummy. Also I can't wear heels any longer and feel they look frumpy with flats as I am not very tall. I do have some lovely skirts and have recently started to wear them to church as I can wear them with jackets and long boots. Will have to find a way of making use of long floaty skirts. I have a long blue and white finely striped one with a fringed hem, that trails when I come downstairs. When my DGD was three, she was following me down the stairs and said "Oh Nainy
[Welsh - pronounced 9E] you're just like a mermaid" Nobody will ever again think of me as a mermaid, I shall never get rid of that skirt.grin

Saggi Wed 06-Mar-19 15:33:59

Trousers..... although I’m leaning toward more skirts in summer as my 7 year old granddaughter refuses to wear skirts or dresses since she was three. She absolutely hates showing her legs...even when playing football she has her shorts down to her knees and her socks pulled up to meet the shorts. Her mum wears skirts and dresses to encourage her ‘ femjnine’ side ...but it’s not working yet.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 06-Mar-19 17:39:55

Jeans here, never trousers, if by that you mean what we used to call slacks. I much prefer skirts and where them all the time in summer and indoors in the winter.

Whitford8 Wed 06-Mar-19 18:08:41

Well if you had legs like mine you would never wear dresses or skirts. After years in retail standing for hours on end my legs have taken their toll. Lots of nasty thread veins and sadly lots of varicose veins. Only get my legs out on holiday and am not happy to do that really! If you have good legs cherish them , get them out but sadly not me

JackyB Wed 06-Mar-19 18:33:07

I've just realised why I wear trousers and jackets rather than skirts and coats: I go everywhere by bike, so it's not really an option!

Fennel Wed 06-Mar-19 19:04:45

Last summer during the warm weather I noticed that many well-built ladies chose to wear long cool skirts, rather than trousers or jeans.

Happychops Wed 06-Mar-19 19:09:27

I wear dresses and thermal tights with boots. I find the tights lovely and warm . Sadly no more heels.
In summer I wear knee length shorts and t shirts with walking sandals. I always feel comfortable in what I wear and never think about what people may think,as I wear what I fancy on the day.

trendygran Wed 06-Mar-19 19:24:24

I live in trousers and even jeans. They are so comfortable.I have a couple of skirts and one dress ,which I’m trying to convince myself to wear tomorrow for a change. Just meeting a friend 82, who I’m sure will be wearing trousers.My DD laughed at me because I only started wearing jeans when I turned 60-a good while ago now.Thinking of my Mum I could never imagine her wearing jeans, although she did wear trousers sometimes.
Thank goodness we older people are no longer expected to wear crimplene dresses !

Grandmama Wed 06-Mar-19 19:30:20

Mostly it's skirts for me with 40 denier tights in winter. I'm short, at the top of my weight range for my height (hope this will be a better ratio after Lent!) but carry a lot of weight on my thighs and tummy and find trousers show up my fat thighs. I have lots of thread veins and now some varicose veins so I like thicker tights. In summer I wear longish skirts or longish dresses with knee-highs or wide trousers long enough to hide my legs.

grannyrebel99 Wed 06-Mar-19 19:33:19

Jeans - love jeans! Don't own a skirt any more. Often wear dresses and black leggings for work though.

CanadianGran Wed 06-Mar-19 19:39:28

I wish I could wear skirts more often - I love them! But I work in a very casual/industrial environment. People through the office in steel toed boots and high-vis vests. They would tease me for being posh if is wore a skirt.

I wear skirts and casual dresses on vacation.

BlueSapphire Wed 06-Mar-19 20:00:48

Skinny jeggings or jeans most of the time, but love to wear skirts or dresses in summer. Also love a smart dress (long or short) on cruises.

Leavesden Wed 06-Mar-19 20:04:44

I rarely wear a skirt or dress, I can’t bear tights don’t like the feel of them and they roll down your stomach. Think if your older trousers can look more trendy always feel a bit frumpy in a skirt especially with my more rounded figure these days.

Chewbacca Wed 06-Mar-19 20:15:30

If you wear a skirt in winter, you have to wear tights and that just needs to all kinds of problems. No matter whether I wear large/small/perfectly sized/branded/super market own brand/cheap or top of the range, the wretched things always start to slide down when I'm walking. By the time the gusset has reached between my knees, I have to walk with enormous great strides, like in the Ministry of Silly Walks, just to keep them up. Either that, or I have to shove my hand down the waistband of the skirt and grab the top of the tights; a bit like an industrial sized set of braces. Neither option aids the air of elegance does it?

Either way, trousers are just less fuss.

Annaram1 Wed 06-Mar-19 21:14:18

Chew, how about getting some of those things that men wear to keep their trousers up? Suspender things?

Annaram1 Wed 06-Mar-19 21:16:59

Your hubby may have some you could try.

Tangerine Wed 06-Mar-19 21:20:17

I usually wear trousers or jeans. In the summer, I like to wear a dress because it's cooler.