Gransnet forums

AIBU

Skirts or trousers?

(117 Posts)
SuzyP2 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:04:43

Is it me?
Most of my friends of my age (66) all say nobody of our age wear skirts any more, and most don't own one.
I wear trousers but prefer a nice knee length skirt, tights and ankle boots. Feels much more feminine than trousers or jeans.

GabriellaG54 Wed 06-Mar-19 10:39:30

Aepgirl
I don't know where you shop or where you live but I do know that there are plenty of skirts of every colour, pattern length and material in both online and bricks and mortar shops in the UK.

Bazza Wed 06-Mar-19 10:40:00

Since I badly broke my ankle 18 months ago I only wear trousers as it’s not healed well after surgery and looks misshapen. Not really bothered though as I hate tights with a passion. I do wear a maxi dress in the very hot weather though as long as it’s cotton. And I ditch the knickers! Hope I never have an accident.

CassieJ Wed 06-Mar-19 10:43:55

I don't own any skirts or dresses. I have only worn trousers for many, many years.

When, in the past, I have worn a dress I feel like I am playing dress up and just don't feel comfortable, Trousers all the time for me.

Nanny27 Wed 06-Mar-19 10:44:47

I spend a lot of time in skinny jeans or jeggings with top and boots. I do love dresses though and will wear one with opaque tights or leggings in the winter, bare legs and sandals in the summer. I hate skirts on me. Make me look like a pudding. ?

Annaram1 Wed 06-Mar-19 10:58:46

I wear trousers mainly in cold weather. I have some light weight trousers for hot weather, but I always prefer skirts.
I would never ever wear jeggings or leggings without a top long enough to cover the bottom or camel toe. Its so vulgar and I see loads of fat girls in jeggings or leggings and they might as well be naked.

maryneale Wed 06-Mar-19 10:59:41

I am 75 and have recently started wearing culottes which have come back into fashion again .I find them comfortable and flattering and look good with knee high boots . MandS thermal tights keep my legs warm

GrammaH Wed 06-Mar-19 11:02:01

I'm with Granny27 - I'm not a fan of skirts but I do love dresses with thick tights & boots in winter & sandals or Flitflops in summer. I never used to wear jeans at all until I lost a couple of stone & slimmed to a size 12 so now I like skinny jeans & boots or loafers .

ReadyMeals Wed 06-Mar-19 11:13:09

Fortunately I am past the age where I think I could look attractive no matter what I tried to do to myself (unless I was Joan Collins - that woman is so beautiful!) So I just wear what's comfortable - baggy trousers and jumper - in spite of the fact I am twice the weight I should be and look horrible.

sluttygran Wed 06-Mar-19 11:15:12

I love pyjama style trousers and floaty tops, a bit like Indian ladies wear - I think it’s called shalwar kameez?
So comfy, flatters any figure, and can be as plain or fancy as you like, in warm or cool fabric.
I’m really not sure why I would wear anything else, although I do have some smart jeans for ‘occasions’.

dirgni Wed 06-Mar-19 11:15:28

I think that a knee length skirt, thick tights and long boots are so much warmer in the winter than trousers. When it’s hot a skirt or dress and sandals, no tights are nice and cool! In between times I do wear trousers or jeans.
“Variety is the spice of life “

babcha Wed 06-Mar-19 11:17:15

Love trousers but have huge thighs (bottom half of legs OK). Is the only solution wide legged trousers? Not very flattering...

Riggie Wed 06-Mar-19 11:32:20

I'm 60 something and mostly wear skirts or dresses. This time of year they're worn with thick leggings underneath so I'm as warm as if I have trousers on.

Unfortunately I'm finding it harder and harder to get suitable skirts in the shops.

inishowen Wed 06-Mar-19 11:40:08

If skirts are worn with tights and ankle boots they look fashionable. However in Ireland the woman who tend to wear skirts are the devout Christians. They wear awful pleated things with court shoes and flesh coloured tights.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 06-Mar-19 11:47:51

SuzyP2 Who has the right to say what we should or should not wear ? Wear what you want. I wear trousers as that is my choice not because someone tells me I should.

humptydumpty Wed 06-Mar-19 11:49:29

I wear trousers all the time - I would have to buy a whole new set of shoes and tights if I were called upon to wear a skirt/dress!

EthelJ Wed 06-Mar-19 11:50:10

I never wear skirts because I can't find any that suit me I always look frumpy. Also I don't like heels and find if I wear a skirt with flat shoes I look even more frumpy and hippy shock

Kim19 Wed 06-Mar-19 12:06:39

Funny this..... I wear trousers most of the time but cannot do so to a wedding. Cannot even wear a skirt. It has to be a dress. Even though I have items which would be totally suitable (dressy-wise) I just cannot do it. Don't feel right. I had a serious word with myself about this but lost. I was full of the feel good sensation at a wedding ten days ago and the dress definitely contributed hugely to that. Nuts, that's me!

Chino Wed 06-Mar-19 12:09:14

I love skirts and have lots of them. I occasionally wear trousers but never feel too comfortable in them - it's a matter of choice

Fennel Wed 06-Mar-19 12:26:46

Same here Chino. Mine are all mid-calf, and black knee socks on my skinny 'sparrer's ankles'.

Fennel Wed 06-Mar-19 12:27:47

ps ankle length in summer.

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Mar-19 12:36:05

Those lovely loose trousers and long tops look so colourful, cool and elegant.
Could you buy some Anja? Loose cotton trousers are quite widely available, whilst I feel a bit daft wearing brightly patterned ones in the UK, I do wear them on holiday (and in the heatwave last year too).

Comfort before everything grin

GreenGran78 Wed 06-Mar-19 12:57:16

Greyduster, I am 5ft tall, and size 16/18. I have long given up on trying to find dresses and skirts that fit well, and look nice. Life's too short to keep turning up hems, and many garments don't look right if they are shortened. "Petite" seems to mean "Skinny" in many clothes ranges, and others are so expensive.

I live mainly in casual clothes, and always in trousers. I am dreading having to look for something smart and summery for my daughter's Aussie wedding in November. It will be hot, and I will have to find something to wear before the Summer outfits are withdrawn over here.

farmgran Wed 06-Mar-19 13:03:58

Bradfordlass try madcat design, she makes lovely a line skirts all screen printed . On line it's madcatnz.com. If you live near Nelson she's at the Saturday market.
I wear mine in the winter with black tights but I haven't got good legs so cover them up in summer with loose cotton pants.
How I long for winter and a good rain!

Grandma70s Wed 06-Mar-19 13:13:09

I gave up skirts and dresses when my mobility dictated that I have to wear sensible shoes. Now, only trousers. To my son’s wedding I wore navy linen trousers, a white jacket with a formal blue flower pattern, and a big white hat. I think I looked all right. I am tall and slim.

I do miss skirts and dresses, though, especially floaty ones in hot weather. I feel envious of my friends who can still wear them. Trousers are always a bit warm, and I have yet to find summer ones of a really light material. I am tempted to wear pyjamas!

Hymnbook Wed 06-Mar-19 13:21:15

I have lots of skirts and dresses but my wardrobe is in such a mess it is just quicker and easier to reach for jeans jeggings trousers top and boots. I wish my legs were slim you should show them off not cover them up.