Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fallen out with a friend

(242 Posts)
Eglantine21 Wed 24-Apr-19 17:55:25

I have fallen out with a friend. I will try to explain what happened and be truthful, not just my side of things. Obviously there will be a range of opinions but if the consensus is that it was me who was unreasonable I will eat an enormous slice of humble pie and apologise.

A friend is going on a business trip to Rome. Her work starts on Monday and finishes on the Friday but she has rented an apartment from Friday to Friday and invited me to go for three nights, from Friday till Monday when she starts work.

She told me to book the same early morning flight as her, I would stay at her house and her husband would drive us both to the airport. Too early for trains. Then I would return on the Monday alone and make my own way home by train.
She said it would be “a cheap, chill out break and a chance to have a great time”.
I booked my flights.

A couple of days ago we met up and she said that Friday is her husband’s birthday and she now wants to spend the evening with him before going away, so I should make my own way to the airport and she would meet me through security. She then said that we should each do or own thing in Rome but meet up for the evening meals and that as she was providing the accommodation my contribution would be to pay for the meals for three nights as her expenses account won’t kick in till Monday.

I was taken aback but came home and looked at the logistics.

Drive through night to airport wasn’t an option. My night vision has failed me.

So drive down day before, park, spend night in hotel or train day before, hotel.

Along with paying for the meals it came to nearly £500. I rang her to say I couldn’t afford to do it now and she is very, very angry and says that I have compromised our friendship.

I appreciate I have let her down but I would never have said yes in the first place if I’d known what the arrangements were going to be. I haven’t taken the decision lightly as I’ve lost my airfare (and a friend) but I feel manipulated somehow.

Ok. I’m open to all thoughts on this.

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:57:50

I suppose I was thinking we’d each pay our own way.

Yet you hadnt budgeted on paying for 50% of the cost of the weekend

gillybob Wed 24-Apr-19 19:00:56

But surely there is no other “cost of the weekend” notanan unless I am missing something. Elgantine was buying her own flights, happy to pay halves for food etc. The so called “friend” was getting the accommodation via her work so wouldn’t cost her anything (again unless I am missing something) ?

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:05:33

The friends work isnt paying for the acvomodation until the Monday. Op and friend were tagging a holiday on before the work week started. Op expects friend to pay for her accomodation Sat-mon morning, then split food bills 50/50.

However even if the accomodation was free through someones work, I would want to "thank" them and by footing the food bill anyway. Like if staying at a friends house & you go out for a meal, or offering to bring the groceries if joining a friend at their own holiday home

Lily65 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:07:44

She dumped you because its her husbands birthday? Does she only see him once a year on his birthday.........She is no friend.

gillybob Wed 24-Apr-19 19:08:35

Yes buy a gift and pay halves, maybe buy an extra round of drinks, some extra wine, whatever ? But you wouldn’t pay for all the food (and presumably the drinks to go with it) for the entire 3 days would you ? Or would you ? In Rome of all places which I don’t think will be cheap?

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:10:21

Well gilly if you dont want to compensate that way, offer to pay your share of the accomodation, THEN split food 50:50

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:12:22

She dumped you because its her husbands birthday? Does she only see him once a year on his birthday.........She is no friend.

Or.
She was happy to share a family birthday with OP until she found out what OP really thinks of her, i.e. percieved as the better off friend who should foot the bill

Eglantine21 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:17:33

Eeek, I think it might be a bit of a cultural mismatch. My somewhat mixed upbringing means I still get it wrong on some of the cultural norms.

I can see it could be an reciprocal expectation for some people. It would have been the opposite in my adoptive parents culture, an invitation given was an invitation to everything, nothing expected and I suppose I’ve sort of settled halfway in pay your own way.

She did say about the stay over before she said about the food but perhaps I’d miffed her by not offering.

I wouldn’t have gone though if I’d known because it would have put it out of budget.

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 19:19:31

The apartment was presumably paid for by her company or she could put it on her own expenses and offset it against tax. I don't think she will be funding the extra three 'holiday nights' herself!

She has used you because she wanted company over the weekend and now has changed the arrangements.

a cheap, chill out break and a chance to have a great time”
It doesn't sound cheap nor very chilled out.
It's a pity you have lost your air fare over this but I think you are right, she has changed the arrangements, and I don't think you shouldn't worry about losing a friendship with someone like that.

It is very upsetting, though.

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 19:21:14

Her meals from the Friday to Monday would be on expenses too - so she wanted you to fund her meal bill for the weekend!

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:22:12

Think so, and thats on both of you, money issues should be discussed upfront and not assumed.

You both messed up and ended up upset

People do notice if offers arent forthcoming. Had you offered to pay the parking or petrol costs for being dropped at the airport etc the meal thing might not have been an issue

Bathsheba Wed 24-Apr-19 19:22:32

notanan the OP hasn't actually said the apartment is being funded by her friend's employer only from the Monday, just that her expense account doesn't kick in until then.

It's entirely possible that the apartment was only available to book on a weekly basis, i.e. Friday to Friday, so the employer is paying for the full cost, but expecting that the friend would be there only from Monday to Friday. So she's perhaps taking advantage of the extra days free of charge and invited Eglantine to join her.

I do feel that as she is the one to have changed the arrangements, then it is she who has compromised the friendship. Eglantine YANBU at all in my opinion.

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:24:34

Where do you guys all work?

I get expenses for trips but it is literally for the duration of the conference. I can extend my trips but at my own expence.

No way would a weekend added on be on expenses it just wouldnt fly

Lily65 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:25:57

I'm sorry but this lady outlines a scenario of traveling together and enjoying a flat for a few days. She then changes arrangements and wants you to pay for meals?

It's therefore ruined and her loss.

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:27:22

It's entirely possible that the apartment was only available to book on a weekly basis, i.e. Friday to Friday

I would in that case get 5/7th of the cost of it back if that is the accomodation I chose to book.

I guess you lot all have more generous employers than me.

Expenses doesnt = go all out at my work. It covers the minimum.

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:28:35

Seriously where do you all work where you get free tagged on holidays before/after work trips? Maybe I need a new job!

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 19:29:18

It could, of course, be this woman's own business and she could offset the lot against tax notanan

Septimia Wed 24-Apr-19 19:30:47

I think I would have been taken aback at the change in arrangements, especially at the additional cost of getting to the airport. Sharing at least some of the expenses when you got there is another matter.
If a so-called friend did that to me I'd be quite upset. I think this friend should have made all the arrangements clear at the beginning and if they needed to be changed should have talked it over with you.

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:32:06

It could, of course, be this woman's own business and she could offset the lot against tax notanan

We also have a family business and there are limits to what you can claim back without putting yourself on shakey ground.

Sara65 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:33:03

I think you have been completely used! Tell her where to stick her holiday! You don’t need friends like that!

Chewbacca Wed 24-Apr-19 19:38:58

It probably would have been better if the cost of meals, drinks and airport transfers had been discussed right from the outset Eglantine but the fact that itwasnt, is as much as fault as yours. If it mattered that much to her, she should have laid her cards on the table right from the start. As it is, it appears that your "friend" was hoping to have her flights, airport transfer and accommodation all paid for by work and you pay for all the meals. I don't believe for one minute that the 3 holiday nights won't be chalked up to expenses; she won't be out of pocket at all for that. The only reason that I can see for her being upset is because she'll have to put her own hand in her pocket and pay for her meals for 3 days and she won't be able to claim those back on expenses. Tough.

notanan I don't agree with you view at all.

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:40:28

The alternative OP is to find budget/hostel accomodation and do a solo "on a boot strap" trip with the flights you booked?

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:44:52

Chewbacca what field do you work in? Intrigued @ all these posters who donf have to itemise/account for all the expenses they claim.

I think the friend doesnt want you to go any mors anyway and rather than say so outright has just made it logistically difficult, which is wrong. But sounds like communication was always a bit lacking in the friendship anyway.

OP look into bootstap trip ways to use your flights. Convents can provide very cheap lodgings for people who dont like hostel environments. Also university halls outside of term time.

Look into it. There may be very cheap ways to usd your flights anyway and do your own thing

notanan2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:48:20

Also look into private car/driver to take you to the airport.

Sounds extravagant but can actually sometimes work out cheaper than public transport or parking or airport hotels so get some door to door quotes before you give up on the flights/trip.

Places like Rome are ideal for solo trips as you wont be bored or feel alone

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 19:50:40

Why? Eglantine has explained that she doesn't drive at night, would have to stay overnight near the airport etc etc.

How odd to encourage her to go and perhaps bump into the friend at a café or tourist spot.