Gransnet forums

AIBU

Going away without DH

(35 Posts)
RamblingRosie Fri 03-May-19 13:04:27

My sister has asked me if I would accompany her on a walking holiday in UK for a week. However I am not sure how to broach the subject with my DH as he doesn’t like me going away on my own. Should I just bite the bullet, book the holiday anyway and then tell him a few weeks before I go or tell him now and risk him being awkward for the next 2 months?
I would really like to go on this holiday and we can afford it.
Do any of you go away without your DH or am I being unreasonable? Incidentally my DH doesn’t like going on walking holidays.

NanKate Sat 04-May-19 15:11:04

Well done RR if he sulks just let him get on with it. and ignore his childish behaviour. You have made a stand. Have a great holiday.

sodapop Sat 04-May-19 15:16:56

Well done on booking the holiday RamblingRosie I was concerned about how suspicious your husband was, that can become very wearing, I sympathise.

Coolgran65 Sat 04-May-19 15:47:18

Glad to hear that you have booked your holiday.
It struck me odd that he asked to see the email, but perhaps that's just me.
Have a great time.

whywhywhy Sat 04-May-19 15:48:47

I think you need to mention it sooner rather than later. Tell him you have been asked and you want to go. If he sulks then tough! We only live once and dont let him spoil it for you. Go!

whywhywhy Sat 04-May-19 15:52:10

Whoops! I didnt read the bit about you booking. Good for you and I am sure you will have a great time. Stand up to him and dont let him dictate anything to you in future. x

Dinahmo Sun 05-May-19 11:53:56

RR - congrats for booking the holiday. I hope that you have a great holiday with your sister.

jeanie99 Fri 17-May-19 02:13:47

All relationships are different but some can be controlling but I don't think it is healthy to live in each others pockets.
Even in a relationship we are individuals with out own needs and wants and it's good to share our lives with others outside of that relationship.
Just tell your husband straight away you are going on holiday with your sister, next time you go away he'll get used to it.
My husband goes away once a year to do competitive bowling, I am invited if I want but choose not to go.
I will be going away with a friend later on this year for a few days and there is no issue at all with my husband.
We have been married almost 50 years and are not jealous of any friendships we have outside of our marriage.

craftyone Fri 17-May-19 07:57:35

If my husband and I wanted to do things in our own groups then we did it, with each others blessing. He went cycling or fishing with friends and I might go pony trecking in Iceland or crafting in wales. For goodness sake, we are all individuals and there should be enough comfort and trust in a marriage. It is not about `allowing` how dare anyone even think that they would be `allowed` to take time out. Our marriage lasted 45 happy years until I became a widow. We have never had jealousy problems, trust was implicit from the day we met

leyla Fri 17-May-19 08:02:29

I'm glad you told him. Hopefully when he sees how much pleasure you get from going he will thaw.