Gransnet forums

AIBU

Next door neighbour pushing my fence panel over

(109 Posts)
blondenana Sat 04-May-19 12:38:46

My neighbour who i have lived next door to for 34 years is suddenly being very nasty, i have 2 large fence panels propped up at the top of my garden, cant fasten them to anything so propped up with wooden poles
The reason i did this was to stop my cats getting into their garden, as my now deceased Siamese once went over and got shouted at,so bought some panels off someone to try to stop this
All this nastiness started in October when i had a large fur tree cut down, [not all the way] as they said it was cutting their sunlight off,
However, when the man had finished my neighbour had a go at him for not cutting all their side off, although the highest branches were cut off,he would have probably had to go into their garden to do it,
As far as i knew he would cut all the way round, but apparently they only cut the top and the side of the persons who wanted it cut,so then she rang me and asked why i hadnt had their side cut too, i explained i i didnt know it wouldnt be, she said "its your bloody tree tell him to do it" of course it would have cost me an extra possibly £50 or more, so i told her if she wanted her side chopping she was welcome to do it, but i wasnt paying extra, so now this
I cant believe they are being so petty, i still have 3 cats who don;t venture out of my garden as they were house cats for a long time so don;t want to go away,they are all 10 years old
I have looked after their house when they have gone on holiday and done errands etc,they are both in their 80s now
I dont think i am being unreasonable in putting this fence panel back up every time it gets pushed down, it is not touching anything of theirs,as the fence originally between the houses is just wire and the posts are concrete, which is why i cant nail it up
All this was for their benefit originally
The houses are not private by the way but Housing association [sorry its so long]

blondenana Tue 14-May-19 23:08:13

Thank you,I flowers didnt mind at all that they mentioned the tree cutting the sun out of their garden,it wouldnt affect the light in their house,they didnt ask me to cut it down, but obviously when they mentioned it i hadnt realised ,so when the birds had stopped nesting i made enquiries about have the height reduced, but i didnt realise that the man wouldnt cut it all round,if you see what i mean, as far as my light out it was just the tree was growing outwards, across my window, so yes i had some of that cut off,it was the only part that bothered me,the height didnt because of the position the sun was in that didnt affect me
Anyway i hadnt seen them for a few days,but my daughter called to give me lift into town this morning, and they were both in their fron garden, which i couldnt see as my living room is at the back of the house where the tree is,when they saw my daughter they went in she said, and were not outside when i went out
I rarely see them really because of the way the living rooms are, not looking out on to the road,it is very enclosed and lots of trees and high hedges, so you cant really see your neighbours unless you are both out at the same time in the front garden, cant see anyone when in the back garden,so unlikely to be out at the same time
They ould normally say hello to my daughter ,but ignored her, so i am not going to bother about it now

Summerlove Mon 13-May-19 15:56:53

blondenana you’re welcome.

I just cannot understand even asking my neighbor to chop down their tree because it is affecting the light in my yard. That’s part of having neighbours. Now, If the tree were perilously close to their roof or otherwise impeding a structure, that of course is different. What’s next, complaining they don’t like your flowers?

I think at this point you are right to just step back and let them shout at the wind.

blondenana Mon 13-May-19 11:41:01

Summerlove sorry just seen your post,thank you, i think i have got some not very nice replies when i have exlained the situation several times, and things were fine before i had the b----y tree chopped, lol
I think they both might not be very well, , but i cant do anything else
I am willing to let them come and see the tree on my side if they wish

Summerlove Sun 12-May-19 15:06:15

Personally, I think you were very kind to chop your tree because they wanted more light. They should be grateful, not complaining that you didn’t do it to their standards.

blondenana Thu 09-May-19 18:26:31

Also speaking to a policeman friend of my son, he said this town is riddled with paedophiles and drugs
I know there are a lot of drugs about everywhere these days, and i know of at 3 least paedos in the next 2 streets to me and one in my street, but all in prison of course now,where they should be

blondenana Thu 09-May-19 16:56:29

MOnica it sounds very much like where i live, all the towns on this coast are very much the same,
It doesnt really bother me, but i am not like that,and its strange but when people do talk to me i get theitr life stories,usually when i am on a bus, but usually they are not from here either
I can make friends with anyone,my 2 youngest sons were born here, but obviously went to school here too, so have lots of friends
I dont let it get me down, as i have my family ,but i do understand why your friend felt isolated, cant understand it
I was speaking to someone from the london area recently and he said he was in a queue in Morrisons with his wife and on hearing his accent someone said, we dont like southerners here,how rude was that
Also a young girl was looking for a flat,only 2 weeks ago, she came from Sheffield i think for work,and the owner of a flat she looked at said i dont let to foreigners, she was very upset, i got a similiar response when i first moved to this town looking for somewhere,i was told not to bother as i wouldnt get anywhere private,

M0nica Thu 09-May-19 14:01:36

Blondenana I shall not ask where you live, but a dear friend moved to a town like that. In ten years she did not make one friend despite being the kind of person who dropped into a desert would have 10 friends and a good party going in 24 hours. She joined and volunteered for a range of groups but was always marginalised.

She was talking to a local man, who was doing some decorating for her about this and he agreed. He said his wife came from a town 20 miles away and even though they had been married 10 years all her friends were in her home town, she had made no friends in the town she now lived. They were now moving elsewhere

My friend could not afford to move as she had sold up in the south to move to this town as it was the only place she could afford a house after being made redundant into early retirement.

She died of cancer in her mid 60s, brought on I am convinced by loneliness and unhappiness. The funeral was held in the local church. Everyone there was from the area she previously lived in, although almost all had travelled 200 miles to be there.

blondenana Wed 08-May-19 14:19:24

Alexa smile flowers

Alexa Wed 08-May-19 12:02:36

Blondenana, I like you for a neighbour!

blondenana Wed 08-May-19 11:58:44

Thank you Alexa, yes it is lovely here,i also have a little dog that i take for walks,or rather i did, she is getting quite stubborn and wont go far, but she now has cataracts and the vet thinks signs early dementia
She was adopted by me, from a couple who were going to put her to sleep, they said, but maybe they just hoped she would find another home,
They told me she was 3, but turns out she is more like 9 or 10, she didnt have these problems when i got her though

Alexa Wed 08-May-19 11:45:58

CrazyH I am so glad you won that case!

Alexa Wed 08-May-19 11:44:17

Blondenana the area you live in sounds gorgeous. Your cats seem to be ideal companions. I do like cats as well as dogs.My deceased sister in law kept house cats and loved them very much but hers never got to go outdoors and yours are fortunate in their old age.

blondenana Wed 08-May-19 11:36:20

crazyH i am pleased for you that you have found somewhere nicer and with nicer neighbours,
I love where i live, and although i could really do with moving to somewhere smaller,its the garden and the privacy that holds me back
My back garden is not accesible to anyone unless i let them in, as i have a door at the side of the house,which locks, then a passageway with 2 outhouses,and a lockable door at the other end, totally surrounded by trees and high hedges,
Believe it or not, although i have lived in this house for 34 years, my neighbour has only been in once when i had a clothes party,[remember them? ] i never hear of them now
I have only ever been in their house to draw curtains and put lights on when they went on holiday, never even sat down in there
The town i live in is a very strange place if you are not born and bred here, you are very much classed as an outsider,and i know very few people well, but it doesnt really bother me, which is the reason i am not going to go out of my way to talk to the neighbours, i doubt it would change anything,i will have a word about this if i see them at all though
I hope your health problem is better now, i doubt what you lovely new neighbours are doing for you would happen here
I have most of my family here, [children ] so thats good,other relatives live all over in various places

crazyH Wed 08-May-19 00:00:35

Yes blondenana, he was awful....thankfully, I have moved from there and all my present neighbours here are great.
When I had my breast problem 2 years ago, they were marvellous, especially one particular lady, who volunteered to pull my medical stocking on and off for me (the one that prevents blood clots) every morning and night.

blondenana Tue 07-May-19 18:28:47

* crazyH* what a terrible thing to do, by your neighbour, while you were away too, i am glad you did something about it and also won your case,i think sometimes people dont realize what consequenses their actions will or can cause

blondenana Tue 07-May-19 18:22:47

Thank you Alexa the cats do like to go in it sometimes, but they were housecats until a couple of years ago, and as they are now all 10 years old, i decided to let them into the garden, they really dont go anywhere else, they would be too nervous , they do also only tend to go out when i am outside too.
I have very rarely had a bird brought in, but one of my cats, [not the ones i have now] once brought a frog in, alive. and i just put it back outside, also a couple of mice, but again unharmed and i put them outside, mice dont bother me
The trees are lovely, all this area is covered with trees, and the beach is only about a mile away,
I get lots of birds, even seagulls, which again don;t bother me,they were here before us, and squirrels,
The old cat carrier and old tea chest boxes in my pics are used by the cats to shelter in if its too hot or even raining,

crazyH Tue 07-May-19 17:59:15

Nothing worse than a nasty neighbour. Years ago I lived next door to one, who, when I was on holiday in Canada, decided to take down the hedge and put a cheap and nasty panel fence on my side of the hedge. It was a wide hedge....he gained at least 6ftx70ft ( long garden). I had to take legal action.....I won....cost my neighbour about £6000

Alexa Tue 07-May-19 14:37:34

Blondenana, I do like the sound of your neighbourhood. All these trees will be keeping your air clean, and providing habitats for insects and birds. Your catio means that your cats are not dangerous for birds. You sound an ideal neighbour.

Alexa Tue 07-May-19 14:32:04

Caramac, the law in the UK regarding trees at boundaries is hedges must be kept to a certain height. 'Hedges' are defined by the distance apart of the same- species trees. If the trees are further apart than the stated distance to be deemed a hedge they can in law be allowed to grow unless hazardous.

A tall lone eucalyptus is not a shady tree and its upright habit of growth makes it unlikely to over hang neighbouring garden. If it does so, due to a more horizontal branch , that branch is dead easy to cut off as it's soft wood to cut.

blondenana Mon 06-May-19 19:27:44

Gonegirl we can plant anything we like,i also have a catio, where my cats can go if they want fresh air without going outside
All these houses have trees surrounding them, there are some which are much higher than mine, i also have 2 lovely mountain ash at the bottom of my garden, not planted by me, beautiful in summer, the birds love the berries
The road in front of my house is an avenue of trees.
My house is back to front the pics are of the back garden,which my living room faces
Our HA is brilliant, and very easy going

blondenana Mon 06-May-19 19:16:13

* Caramac* no i shouldnt and if they want the branches off they are low enough for them to do it,or get their sons to,
I have to cut branches off any of theirs that overhang, [and some do] i dont make a big fuss about it

MaizieD I wont risk my cats being harmed, if you saw one of my earlier posts ,my Siamese,[years ago] came in with blisters on mouth and tongue, vet said he hd been licking something caustic, he died not long after of kidney failure, nothing wrong with him before he went into their garden, they hate cats,and i know they could do it, as they suggested long before that,that i put poison down for a cat they saw chasing mine
Long before these houses were modernised and cats could get into garden,s easily
]

MaizieD Mon 06-May-19 17:18:59

I'd just get rid of the fence panels and let your cat wander where it likes.

Caramac Mon 06-May-19 17:16:04

Whilst nastiness is uncalled for my neighbours insist on a huge eucalyptus tree and several fur trees up to the boundary. We trim back as high as we can teach, time consuming and dirty job plus they don’t want their flipping branches so we have to dispose of them. However, I don’t see why we should pay to have their overhanging branches cut by a professional because our ladders and equipment don’t reach. You should have paid for branches overhanging their garden.

blondenana Mon 06-May-19 14:04:58

Having said that, my neighbour at the other side had 2 panels blown down in galeforce winds a few years ago, which would have left my garden without ant fencing , his mothers ex partner put it up all around their garden, he wanted to replace all the panels,and asked me and his neighbour at the other side if we would pay towards it, we both refused, as it was 6ft high fencing round a garden of27ft, long and about 20 ft wide, but we both paid for the panels that would have left ours exposed,which i think was fair

blondenana Mon 06-May-19 13:57:14

Nanny41 yes they can if neighbours are willing to talk to you and a compromise made, but not to aggressively verbally attack you
I am very pleased you and your neighbour have been able to come to some amicable agreement
All it takes is some friendly discussion