Gransnet forums

AIBU

feeling as if I have lost the man I married

(77 Posts)
Canarygirl1 Mon 01-Jul-19 22:32:21

this feels very selfish but wondered if anyone else had felt the same. DH had stroke last year,it has not left him physically disabled but he is completely different now,, with almost complete indifference to me and most other things around him. His temper is frightening at times and there seems to be no reason for it. Just wondering how to come to terms with the situation and turn round the feelings of loss and sadness after nearly 50 years of what as a very happy and loving marriage

Soozikinzi Wed 07-Aug-19 12:13:45

My husband has had two minor strokes so I understand completely what you’re going through. The personality changes are like an exaggeration of any slight traits they had before. I can say on a positive note that improvements can continue up to 5 years after the stroke. Also it’s common for depression to follow a Ste so my husband is on sertraline anti depressants which does seem to help. One of the main problems I find is lethargy not really doing much all day so it’s important to keep up your own interests and friendships . I hope this helps xx