Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am turning into an evil old lady

(84 Posts)
luckyrose62 Fri 12-Jul-19 12:16:05

When I heard the news regarding the poor guy that got shot mistakenly by police 7 years ago. All I could think was well that’s one less crook off the streets.
Not a nice thought but cannot help myself I just feel sorry for the policeman that mistakenly shot him.
I really don’t want to be a bitter old lady but I cannot help myself

Hetty58 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:35:37

Joce345, it's just not that simple. Have you been reading the Daily Fail?

1) There is no deterrent for psychopaths

2) A civilised society doesn't shoot the mentally ill

3) The lack of funds is political - we live in one of the world's richest countries

4) Who decides what the 'better more needed problems' are?

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 09:09:08

Not all psychopaths kill and not all killers are psychopaths.

Our present society is an angry one which has worsened over the years where violence has bred violence and we've ended with a stalemate.

Joce345 Mon 15-Jul-19 09:38:47

Not all psychopaths kill and not all killers are psychopaths this is true..
I stand by what I say shoot them.
Hetty our country would be a lot richer in every way, if we didn’t have to house theses horrible men and woman..
the money would still be better spent in our NHS. For illness of every kind.
Mentally ill or not they are still killers . ITS WRONG
maybe I cannot be as forgiving as other people that have not had dealings with these people.

Grannyjay Mon 15-Jul-19 09:50:54

As we are now bombarded with dreadful news on a daily basis it is not surprising, especially as some of us have been on the receiving end, to be angry. I’ve experienced physical attacks in the workplace by men and sexual abuse and they got away with it. Someone’s child doesn’t cut it with me. I don’t need validation to be allowed to feel anger or anything as we are all entitled to an opinion.

Anniebach Mon 15-Jul-19 10:01:32

No one chooses mental illness, do we draw a line ? Those who self harm on one side those who cause harm on the other , support those who self harm shoot those who harm
others ?

OurKid1 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:06:31

I don't think you're evil, just honest to admit to your gut reaction. I'd probably have instantly thought the same, then realised that gut reactions are not always the best reaction to have, just like you have.

That's how I'd react if anyone hurt any of my family though - which is why I don't support capital punishment. Justice should be meted rationally not based on gut reaction.

Hetty58 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:19:32

EllanVannin, you said:

'Our present society is an angry one which has worsened over the years where violence has bred violence and we've ended with a stalemate.'

Where's your evidence? What about our violent history? Crime statistics (overall) have fallen. Agreed that some types of crime, like knife crime, are on the rise and of great concern but your statement is wrong. I blame the media for perpetuating these myths.

Hetty58 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:29:39

www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/publicperceptionsofcrimeinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2016