Gransnet forums

AIBU

'Lodgers' moving back home

(52 Posts)
Marmight Mon 15-Jul-19 09:37:28

DD, SiL & 2 dgs moved in with me lock stock & barrel 12 weeks ago while having work carried out on their house which is a 10 minute walk away. All a bit of a tight squeeze, noisy & messy but we all got on fine and I was available most of the time for childcare etc. SiL worked from my dining table 2/3x a week which wasn't part of the agreement, but hey ho, I put up with it even though I didn't feel I had my space during that time. I knew that all this would soon end and was dreading being alone again even though I was looking forward to regaining my house. I went away on Saturday for the night and when I returned last night, they had gone, just like that... Their 'stuff' is still here and the place is a tip. DD will be here this afternoon to start taking it away.
After all this time with constant company, I am feeling bereft..they are so excited to be going home, rightly so, and I am so unhappy to be alone again. Apart from the sheep baaing in the field next door, the place is like a morgue. Since DH died I have hated being on my own. I just feel like howling. AIBU

Tedber Wed 17-Jul-19 16:42:04

Marmite it sounds like you live in a very isolated house "sheep baahing in field" and not much more?

Have you considered moving? Don't know where you live but around me there are lots of sheltered houses. By sheltered I mean...own living accommodation but with communal areas where residents meet as and when they choose?

I am not in that position yet so not looked into it but I know I do love my own company very much. Sometimes I don't feel I get enough of it sad Then I wonder what I would feel like if I were completely alone? Who knows?

I hate the thought of people feeling lonely though so am sympathetic to you. Hope you adjust again soon xxx