Gransnet forums

AIBU

What Would You Do

(130 Posts)
lucyinthesky Mon 09-Sep-19 10:24:29

Sorry in advance for longish post but don't want to dripfeed. This is really a WWYD as I would welcome advice. This is rather a first world problem I know but it is affecting my relationship with my DD and OH.

For the at 10 years since my divorce I have been in a relationship with a French guy whose home is in Paris. I spend most of my time there and DD2 (34 years old) whose job is in London lives in the 2 bed flat I own there. She pays rent, buys all her own food, does her laundry etc. So far so good.

My OH comes over to London a few times a year usually for a week but longer in the summer hols and Xmas. He and DD rub along well enough but DD is so used to living alone that she finds it difficult when he stays.

We have a separate bathroom but the only shower is in the ensuite in my bedroom. DD insists on a shower every morning before work (around 7.30 - 8.00) when we are still asleep. She doesn't disturb us but she is now asking me to 'make sure OH is up/dressed in the mornings' so she can have her shower!

WWYD/answer?

Tedber Fri 20-Sep-19 16:46:07

Not sure what you are saying Yvol2? Doesn’t matter how long OP lives away. It is HER flat.

Alexa Sat 21-Sep-19 18:34:01

Could you put a nice curtain around the bed you and your partner share?

ForeverAutumn Fri 04-Oct-19 12:56:06

I really sympathise with you lucyinthesky, I think some of the comments here are very unkind with no understanding of your situation, fortunately a lot of PPs do 'get it'.

I wouldn't consider the payment your daughter makes to you as being 'rent' it is more her contribution towards the running of your flat, in fact it doesn't sound as if her contribution fully covers her use of utilities etc.

If I were you I would put a stop to your ensuite being used by her at such inconvenient times, she can put up without it for the little time that you are there. If you do decide to spend more time in your own home and she continues to live there, she will have to find a way to either arrange for a shower to be fitted in the bathroom or move out as most 34 year olds would.

Starlady Sun 06-Oct-19 20:54:01

Lucy, I'm sorry that you and yours have been facing these issues, but I'm glad you and DD have resolved them for now.

I understand that it's your home. However, you chose to rent it out to DD, and Ive never known a renter who didn't feel as if the flat was "their home' or a landlord who expected to be able to come and live there. So I can see why DD felt she should be able to keep using the shower she has been using for the many months you are not there.

Then again, I think it was rude for her to ask you to have OH be up and dressed when she comes in to shower. That sounds, as one poster suggested, as if she just doesn't like to see you in bed w/ a man. Very immature and unrealistic of her, IMO.

I hope the new showerhead idea works out. If not, I agree w/ the poster who suggested a curtain around your bed.

But I also agree w/ the posters who say that the real problem is the living arrangement. I understand why you let DD live there for a low rent, and I think it is very kind, generous, and loving of you. But the idea may have outlived its usefulness, especially, as you point out, if Brexit goes through. So I'm glad you're ready to talk to DD about other arrangements if it comes to that.

Also, I think it's very kind and wise of you to consider DD's new relationship. And I join you in hoping that things work out w/ her new BF and they move in somewhere together (not your home, LOL). Good luck to all of you!