Gransnet forums

AIBU

Parking

(82 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 09-Sep-19 13:52:43

We have on occasions let our neighbours park on our drive (our car is in the garage) when they have had family staying for on or two nights. Now they are having a loft conversion done which will take 6 to 8 weeks and have asked to park on the drive whilst the work is being done. We have said on this occasion the answer is no and their response was that we are being unreasonable. We replied although we don't use the drive on a daily basis we cannot tie it up for this length of time as we have visitors as well as workmen expected ourselves. Unfortunately said neighbours have taken umbrage and said we are unhelpful. We said we were happy to be of help to them in the past but this time we cannot accommodate their needs. Any advice please?

Calendargirl Mon 09-Sep-19 13:59:14

Oh dear. Would they want to park on your drive in the day or just overnight say? I quite agree , the odd occasion, but 6-8 weeks, ‘ give ‘em an inch and they take a yard’ scenario. It’s your drive, and your decision, but it must be so awkward if things have been amicable before. I sympathise with you, but no real answer I’m afraid.

Calendargirl Mon 09-Sep-19 14:01:15

Re-looking at your post, I can see they obviously want to use it in the daytime when workmen are there.

petra Mon 09-Sep-19 14:05:15

I certainly wouldn't fall out with neighbours over something like this that can be easily sorted by talking to each other.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 14:09:57

Frankly. I think they are taking the p*ss. Letting someone occasionally use your drive for an overnight visitor, is a neighbourly gesture that should give you maximum brownie points without too much effort.

Asking if builders can leave their vans on your drive all day for 8 weeks (and you can bet your bottom dollar it will end up being more than 8 weeks) is another thing entirely and you were quite right to refuse. What would follow? An assumption that as far as they are concerned your drive is a mere extension of their's avaulable for use at any time???

I would just continue to be pleasant to them. smile through gritted teeth, but be adamant that it is no-go.

Hetty58 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:11:22

They are taking the mickey. Next, they'll want to put their scaffolding poles on your drive (and maybe roof too)! I returned home to that once. I had to write them a firm letter giving a deadline for their removal!

If they are attached to you then I hope you have a party wall agreement. My neighbours went ahead without one and I was unaware that I could have stopped their build (until there was a PWA) with a simple injunction order from the local magistrates court.

SirChenjin Mon 09-Sep-19 14:12:02

My advice is to smile and wave next time you see them, and don't give in to them - the cheeky mares.

nanou Mon 09-Sep-19 14:16:41

Very cheeky demand. Tell them the computer said NO.

Judy54 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:27:30

Just to be clear it is their cars they want to park on our drive so that the builders can use their drive. You are right Petra we don't intend falling out with them, not sure how this can be easily sorted by speaking to each other. They want something that we are not willing to provide don't see where there is room for compromise. As nanou says the computer says No.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 14:30:25

Whether the vehicles are yours or the builders is irrelevant they are presuming too much.

Nico97 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:31:14

Good neighbours wouldn't put you in the position whereby you have to refuse. Agree with Monica - they are taking the p**s !

humptydumpty Mon 09-Sep-19 15:02:09

Would it not be possible for them to park on the roadside?

Judy54 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:04:38

No humptydumtpy it would block the road and stop delivery vans, emergency vehicle etc getting down.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 15:27:04

Well, they will have to do what we have had to do for the past month while the gasmen were renewing a gas main. Park some distance away and walk between home and car.

The purpose of those right angled things on the end of their legs is to enable them to walk!

Nico97 Mon 09-Sep-19 16:24:46

It isn't the OP's place to sort/suggest alternative arrangements. Let them get on with it and just smile when required.

Eloethan Mon 09-Sep-19 16:25:42

I'm a bit confused. If your car is in the garage, will you have to keep asking them to move each time you want to go out. What happens if they've gone for lunch or whatever?

Are they able to park on your road somewhere or do they have to go a long way away? If they can park somewhere nearby, even if it's not very convenient, I think it is unfair to put you in this awkward position.

Daisymae Mon 09-Sep-19 16:38:59

They asked, you declined so I guess you have to move on. it seems like they had assumed that you would be ok with this imposition, so they need time to adjust. Act like nothing had happened, they will soon get over it.

midgey Mon 09-Sep-19 16:55:58

Sounds as though they are being pretty rude saying you are being unreasonable. Boot is on the other foot me thinks!

Gaunt47 Mon 09-Sep-19 17:25:28

Start getting your car out of the garage and leave it on your drive so that your neighbours will see your drive is used?

Chewbacca Mon 09-Sep-19 17:43:10

If letting them park their car on your drive, for an extended period of time, will cause you inconvenience, the answer has to be no, you're not being unreasonable. Would your neighbour be willing to allow you to use their drive for 6 weeks or more? Doubt it.

SalsaQueen Mon 09-Sep-19 17:46:06

What a cheek! Tell them No, and that's that (I'd be tempted to tell them No all the time from now on)

Alima Mon 09-Sep-19 17:46:29

We were told our loft conversion would take 6-8 weeks. They were here from early November to February. I think your neighbours are the unreasonable ones.

Oldandverygrey Mon 09-Sep-19 17:48:25

Slightly off track here, but my neighbour requires me to put my garden waste bin out on designated day even if I havn't filled it because he wants to use it. I pay for this service with zero contribution from him. So I know all about cheeky neighbours!

Alima Mon 09-Sep-19 17:54:30

Just remembered. Nobody parked on our drive whilst the work was being done. It was occupied by the skip(s) the whole time. It was great watching the last one get taken away.

Judy54 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:03:43

Thanks for all your comments. Eloethan our garage is at the back of the house, parking on the road is difficult without mounting the pavement. Gaunt47 we used to leave our previous old banger on the drive but not happy to leave our newer car on there.