Gransnet forums

AIBU

Parking

(83 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 09-Sep-19 13:52:43

We have on occasions let our neighbours park on our drive (our car is in the garage) when they have had family staying for on or two nights. Now they are having a loft conversion done which will take 6 to 8 weeks and have asked to park on the drive whilst the work is being done. We have said on this occasion the answer is no and their response was that we are being unreasonable. We replied although we don't use the drive on a daily basis we cannot tie it up for this length of time as we have visitors as well as workmen expected ourselves. Unfortunately said neighbours have taken umbrage and said we are unhelpful. We said we were happy to be of help to them in the past but this time we cannot accommodate their needs. Any advice please?

dizzygran Tue 10-Sep-19 13:58:29

I agree. A bit of a cheek. They should have sorted the parking before. Booking the work. Leaving vans Nx cars on your drive for this length of time could leave it in a mess if any of the vehicles dropped oil. Be pleasant but stick to your guns.

Aquariusb Tue 10-Sep-19 14:48:00

This happens to me a lot. You’re kind to someone and then they take the Michael. When you say no they act as if you’re being totally unreasonable because you’ve always done it in the past. It’s better not to be kind then situations like this don’t happen x

Kim19 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:19:35

I think your response was well thought out and common sense to boot. Well done. Sometimes we make too speedy a decision on matters like these and live to regret them. Of course, your neighbour was totally out to of order to even ask but, being human, we sometimes chance our arm. I don't know how close you were before but a simple, brief, congenial greeting when you encounter each other should be fine until the situation eases methinks.

Oldandverygrey Tue 10-Sep-19 15:25:53

Yes I do bring the bin out for their exclusive use most of the time, I like to do a good turn when I can, and then moan about it afterwards!

SynchroSwimmer Tue 10-Sep-19 15:27:41

I feel for you, I would say please don’t be bulldozed, please think of yourselves going forwards.

Your neighbours aren't actually appreciating or respecting you for what you have already done to help them previously.

They now have the mindset of an “expectation”

I think it is important that you maintain your boundaries - so that they don’t feel they can “push” you with their expectations.

As others have said, it could involve a skip on your land, and contractors don’t always treat property with respect.

I think I’m a helpful person, like you, but there has to be boundaries in place - to protect yourself going forwards.

I would be asking my friends to come round at random times, quite frequently, with their vehicles, even leaving them overnight on occasion - just to preserve my position.
(In fact I am having to take the same subtle approach with 4 neighbours who are “assuming” that I am not using my own garden space, so I am currently having to encourage visitors who want to come and “chat” in my garden...just to discreetly maintain my own space)

Hetty58 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:35:33

There's a fine line between being helpful/neighbourly and being taken advantage of. Next time the green bin rental is due for renewal, maybe you should tell the folks next door that it's their turn?

Oldandverygrey Tue 10-Sep-19 15:36:25

You could well be right Hetty, suppose I am a bit of a soft touch really.

Jaye53 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:45:49

Smile and say but the MAN from DEL MONTE he say NO.grin you do not want to fall out its not worth the hassle

Lupin Tue 10-Sep-19 15:52:38

Stick to your decision.
I have had this dilemma. In my last house I allowed my neighbour to park across my garage because I don't drive now and the parking situation in the whole road was awful. People using their garages for storage and many multi car households. The loser was me, because I ended up having to negotiate for my own parking space every time I had a visitor or family staying. Allowing my neighbours to use it encouraged others to park there for short periods without asking
Now I live in an apartment with one allocated parking space and it is often temptingly empty. I have had to make it clear that use of it is only available for very short periods and that I expect to be asked. I challenge everyone I see chancing their arm, but try to keep it friendly.
Calling you unreasonable has a hint of the bully about it.

humptydumpty Tue 10-Sep-19 15:54:53

This reminds me that my first house had a separate garage, which I used as storage as I didn't have a car. Neighbours a couple of houses down took to parking one of their cars in front. When it came to house-moving, I asked them politely not to block the garage as I was going to be sorting/removing contents until I moved - 'of course' they said, but next day onwards it was obstructed every day; grrr so selfish!

sharon103 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:54:54

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.
Well done for saying no. You're not being unreasonable. It's a shame some people turn tut when they don't get their own way.
You've given your answer and there's no need for an explanation. Don't worry about it, carry on in friendly terms and I hope your neighbours do the same.

Acer Tue 10-Sep-19 15:55:46

I feel they are being very thoughtless in even asking you. I’m sure your house insurance would not cover building work falling onto their vehicle. Even if it were your sledge hammer !

Fairiesfolly Tue 10-Sep-19 15:57:33

Never apologise for saying NO! I know how you feel, it’s all too easy to say yes to favours from family friends and neighbours and then regret it afterwards. You have done the right thing, no explanation needed just setting your own boundaries!

Nannan2 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:33:06

I guess a compromise would be tell them they could use it (for their own car) ONLY on days you aren't going out- so you dont get blocked in.but through day only- theyd have to shift their car when builders leave at end of day? Have they not got a garage then?but yes they are being cheeky.

Eva2 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:35:31

What a shame your kindness has come back to bite you in the arse. Absolutely understand why it's a No. Your neighbors are more than ungracious to have verbalized their disappointment. Very rude controlling and disappointing. Stay on the high road, smile, friendly but not friends is my advice.

kwal Tue 10-Sep-19 16:44:27

Good for you. It is easy to be taken advantage of and, like you say, you may need to use the drive yourself or to even, heavens forbid, go out!

Saggi Tue 10-Sep-19 17:06:45

Easy solution...park your car in your drive for the foreseeable future! Didn’t know people actually used garages AS garages anymore!

Aepgirl Tue 10-Sep-19 17:16:08

That’s really unreasonable of them. Also, everybody knows that builders always overrun. I have a neighbour who is having an extension built. Their daughter has 2 cars (one for work), the husband has a work’s van, and the wife has a fancy car. These various vehicles are being parked on many drives, and in the road. Also the wife recently complained to another neighbour about her having 2 cars but only one parking space!

HurdyGurdy Tue 10-Sep-19 17:21:07

I am clearly in a very small minority here, because I'd be more than happy to oblige my neighbour and I'd hope they'd be equally helpful to me should I need it.

I'm not entirely clear if your neighbours are going to be at home whilst the workmen are there or if they want to leave their car on your driveway whilst they go off to work all day. That would make a difference.

Do you use your car several times a day? Or even every day? Would it be so inconvenient to pop next door and say "we're just going out, would you mind moving your car", and the same in reverse when you come home? It is only for a limited period, after all.

If the position was reversed, would you automatically look to rent a drive elsewhere? Or to park a good distance away? I know I wouldn't. I don't drive a fancy car, but I'd still like to have in within eyeshot.

I like to keep on good terms with my neighbours - you never know when you might need them or want a favour in return.

Shropshirelass Tue 10-Sep-19 17:23:04

It is your neighbours who are being unreasonable. A day or two is fine but as you do want to use your drive I think you are right to say no. It is your drive after all. They are just taking your friendship for granted. Not on in my book!

thecatgrandma Tue 10-Sep-19 19:43:11

Don’t some people amaze you with their stupidity? Do they seriously expect you to come and ask them every time you want to get your own car out? You’ve said no, I just wouldn’t bother engaging with them again if they want to make a fuss, life’s too short to have to deal with idiots.

Ooeyisit Tue 10-Sep-19 19:51:18

This reminds me of a friend who had so much cheek . I would get a call from her ,shall we go into town for lunch .when we arrived at the venue she would look to see what she wanted ,it was a buffet style then you paid at the end of the service part ,Then she would need the toilet so that when she got back I had paid . She would then say I will pay next tine instead of saying what do I owe you , after several of these incidents I did get wise . This same “friend”in the days of yore used to ring me and reverse the charges . It was in the days when it was expensive to do that ,.we are no longer friends . With friends like this we don’t need enemies . Different circumstances but still taking the P

25Avalon Tue 10-Sep-19 21:54:34

They may not like your answer but you are not being unreasonable. Personally I don't like their response. Yes, it would be nice if you could help them but 6-8 weeks is a long time and there will be noise and dust whilst the builders are they plus they may well block the road so it's going to be disruptive without your driveway being blocked as well.

Nannarose Tue 10-Sep-19 22:01:09

Hurdygurdy, I'm largely with you, although it's impossible to know how reasonable the request is without knowing the general layout and use of the drive; and the usual give-and-take of neighbourliness. It sounds as if OP was worried they might not move if requested.
Our neigbours know that they have the general use of our drive in such situations - they would normally ask - and it is taken for granted that we might say 'no' on any particular day. I like comings and goings of other cars on my drive - and we all have an informal arrangement to park occasionally on each others' drives when we are away - it makes it less obvious that the house is unoccupied.
Having said that, the neighbours should have accepted 'no'.

GreenGran78 Wed 11-Sep-19 00:16:54

Thecatgrandma. It’s not wise to call people stupid when you have obviously not read and understood the situation properly. Their own car is parked in a garage at the back of the house, with rear access.

The neighbours were out of order with their accusations but, personally, I would have been happy to let them use my drive, as long as they checked each day to see that I didn’t need it to be kept free. I am lucky to have had the same excellent neighbours for many years, though. We all help each other out. Excess rubbish is often popped into other peoples’ bins, too, though the council provides and empties them without extra charge.
Other Gransnetters obviously expect people to be un-neighbourly, but mine are gems!