Gransnet forums

AIBU

Belated greetings by Facebook.

(55 Posts)
Washerwoman Wed 25-Sep-19 14:27:18

Firstly I don't use FB and I'm pretty certain my SIL knows. She uses it a lot,as my adult DCs sometimes show the odd picture, or comment on her posts.
I recently had a big birthday and it was my choice to keep it low profile.No worries about my age but genuinely hate hosting parties or being the centre of attention.More so now than ever.And all I wanted was a lovely relaxing weekend with DH,DCs and grandchildren.A lovely meal out and glorious sunshine helped.Unfortunately our DD was taken ill and in hospital suddenly so her and her partner couldn't attend.All is well now but rather a scare.
Point is SIL forgot my b'day.Absolutely no problem.In 40 years she has forgotten more than she has remembered.Sometimes turning up with something much later.Often not at all.I expect it now and honestly have no need for any gifts.And we eventually stopped buying for her family when we rarely got a thankyou.I have a very small but loyal group of friends who got thoughtful treats.And DH actually took me away for a surprise break .So all good.
However AIBU to feel annoyed that after the day she posted a message on FB with the usual party poppers emoji etc hoping I had had a lovely day.I only knew because another family member showed me.My feelings are phone / text or even call round and say hi.She lives near.Has my number.Especially as she knew our DD had been ill on the day.Asking about her would have meant more tbh than birthday wishes.
I've just phoned her to congratulate her on some good news but just come off the phone feeling peeved that I wanted to say in future don't bother at all if you're just going to use FB - where everyone else but me can see your gushy messages.Am I being a grumpy old woman .FB is a great way of keeping in touch I know,but isn't it just lazy not to actually talk to someone?

Tricia5 Thu 26-Sep-19 16:44:34

I use Facebook but wouldn’t send birthday wishes unless it is an extra to also s nding a card. If I’m too late to post a card I often send a jacquielawson internet card. Annual membership is cheap and they have cards for all occasions.

Washerwoman Thu 26-Sep-19 18:42:02

Oh dear.I must sound a real grumbler.To clarify my exasperation in the original post was with FB in general as much as SIL -who I do like,and she is essentially kind .And was brought to mind when I phoned her to congratulate her on something else a few days after my b'day.She didn't phone me.In no way were my celebrations spoiled by her forgetting-expected that.It suddenly irked that people who use FB a lot forgot some don't at all.And I'm certain I have said as much before,and never posting or commenting on it it should be pretty apparent. And especially if you do forget maybe phoning in person would mean a lot more than sending a message that's only seen via someone else -DH's FB in this case.I have several friends who didn't even realise it was my birthday so certainly didn't expect a fuss.It was more the principle of the personal touch.Maybe it's me who is old fashioned?But thanks for the varied replies !

Eva2 Thu 26-Sep-19 22:15:13

I hate FB, it's as genuine as a 9 bob note. Point out to her leaving messages 4 u is wasted as u arent on it. Tell her not to post anything about you either. I had same conversation with my friends. They think it's odd, l get the occasional snide remark, but l dont care.

greeneyes57 Thu 26-Sep-19 23:27:14

I received a phone call from my sister on Sunday, when I answered it was a friend of hers who rang to wish me a Happy Birthday on her behalf( he got my name wrong) . An hour later I saw on F.B that she was organizing a party for a friend of hers. So obviously she couldn't take 2minutes of her time to call me herself, Would this annoy any of you..