Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cannot get to sleep!!

(64 Posts)
whywhywhy Thu 26-Sep-19 02:27:55

I am getting worse as I get older. I just cannot get to sleep and it isn't made any better by the fact that my husband can just drop off in seconds. He says that I "talk" myself out of sleep!! I have tried Nytol without any success. Read till really late and kept off the computer. Knitted till my arms ached and even tried going to bed soon. Right now it is 2.25am and here I am on the computer wide awake. I don't sleep during the day either but I do feel like crap when I have a really bad night. Has anyone got any solutions. Maybe it is just me awake at this time in the morning and the rest of the world (northern hemisphere) are all awake. Help cos I think I am going mad!x

Madmaggie Thu 26-Sep-19 10:50:52

I did some mindfulness sessions run locally for 6 weeks. After being somewhat sceptic about this 'craze'. I'm no longer a sceptic. He taught us relaxation methods and my sleeping improved enormously. You can get guided sessions on you tube etc. It may take a while to get into it or find something that particularly suits you but give it a whirl, nothing to lose.

Shropshirelass Thu 26-Sep-19 10:50:59

Try Lush Sleepy cream. It does help, not a miracle cure though. Have you tried going to bed before your husband so that you may be asleep when he comes to bed. I have some bad nights, I think it is a woman thing. Don’t get stressed about it as it will make you worse. Good luck.

Katek Thu 26-Sep-19 10:52:21

OP - this could have been written about me, including the DH who falls asleep as soon as he closes his eyes! I lie in the dark and do my times tables in my head......often works! grin

Fairiesfolly Thu 26-Sep-19 10:55:41

Since taking 1000mg Hemp Seed Oil capsules, one a day with our evening meal, we are both sleeping soundly. I also take magnesium Glycinate as well which is good for sleep and a host of other things. Both on Amazon and EBay.

Sleepygran Thu 26-Sep-19 10:56:26

Someone said to me that if we can't get to sleep we over breathe!
Try to slow down your breathing, 3 seconds in, hold for 4 and breathe out for 5.
Do it a few times.I didn't think it worked but after a few minutes of finishing this,I drop off!

Americanpie Thu 26-Sep-19 10:57:58

I see from your post you've tried Nytol but have you tried Nytol one a night? I am lucky it really works for me but the other is hopeless. I also use lavender aromatherapy gel massaged into my chest area and this combo works for me. I hope something helps.

choughdancer Thu 26-Sep-19 10:57:59

After trying lots of things I find that this is the best for me! www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-nidra-sleep

I'm also using phone, laptop and tablet mainly outside the bedroom, never at night, and just occasionally in the morning, but they all live outside the bedroom. Do try the yoga nidra!

GagaJo Thu 26-Sep-19 11:07:57

I'm a long-time insomniac. I know that there is very little that helps so most of the time I just accept it.

It IS rubbish when I have a long day at work the next day, but not a lot I can do about it. Last week I had to work a 14 hour day on 2 hours of sleep. At 25 it was doable. At 54, by 8.30pm even my legs weren't obeying my brains commands.

SueB14 Thu 26-Sep-19 11:20:23

I registered with sleepio.com. It is a 6 week programme online that gives you something to do each week that teaches you how to relax, stop thoughts going round in your head etc. It’s quite hard logging on each week and going through everything but my sleep has improved so much. It’s worth giving it a try.

Craftycat Thu 26-Sep-19 11:28:43

I certainly wouldn't stay awake worrying about Brexit as there is nothing I can do about it.
If I wake in the night-which I do at times-it is about something I can do something about or working out how to do something.
I pick up my Kindle - read for half an hour or so & then go back to sleep.
Let Boris lose sleep if he wants & just get us out ASAP.

Philippa111 Thu 26-Sep-19 11:33:22

I use an app by Sound Oasis called Tinnitus Therapy Lite.. it’s free. I listen to ‘Cooling Fan’ at very low volume. My body immediately relaxes and the sound stops the mind thinking. I started using it for tinnitus, which has now gone. You can play it on continuous play or for periods of time of your choosing.
Like someone else here I also can use Phenergan for a few days.. it too gets my sleep back on track again. Deep breathing for some minutes helps too ( this is a mindfulness technique) as does shaking your hands and arms for about 5 minutes, which seems to release excess energy. This last method was something my ex’s grandmother used to do.. it’s an old remedy and it does work. Lots of daytime exercise ..walking,swimming etc works for some people Good luck!

moggie57 Thu 26-Sep-19 11:36:51

i was awakelast night till 3pm.. reson noisy neighbours . her screaming and shouting .boy shouting top of his voice...in the end shouted for goodness sake shut up am trying to sleep. SLAM goes the doors. had enough now ,reporting to council..

Newatthis Thu 26-Sep-19 11:37:12

Night time tea and Melatonin - works a treat.

Diggingdoris Thu 26-Sep-19 11:53:11

I've realised that certain foods and drinks keep me awake. I dare not have cheese at evening meal or anything with even a trace of chocolate after 4pm. Also a cup of tea after 7pm will have me still awake at 3am. Any type of cola is a no no as well.
So chamomile tea helps me go off, though it tends to give me a dry mouth, but it's worth it.

Yvon Thu 26-Sep-19 12:06:21

I put on an audio book quietly beside my pillow and set it to turn off after 45 mins. Rarely hear more than 15 mins.
Our library lends them for free. The annoying bit is having to rewind to the point when you fell asleep!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 26-Sep-19 12:24:39

All the sleep experts say don't use computers, phones etc for at least two hours before bed as the blue light disrupts your circadian rythums and yet you ladies are staring at the screen in the small hours.

I'm not a great sleeper either but I don't go near a screen.
I'd love a recording of seaside sounds but that would mean having something glowing in the room so I need to research the best way of doing it.

Saggi Thu 26-Sep-19 13:10:12

You need to give in to insomnia..... I’ve not had more than 4 hours sleep a night in the past 23 years. I was working up till the last four years as well..... and had to get up at 5 am. My husband is s night owl and watches tv till 1 am.... he used to wake me up coming ticked, abdctgat was th start if it all. I threw him out of the bedroom and things improved for a while but I’m now back to 4 hours at most! And that four hours isn’t consistent. I hour asleep ...45 mins awake...half hour asleep....hour awake! In the end nothing would improve my situation so I just gave in to sleeplessness. Now I’m fine I’m no more tired than anybody else my age that I know... I swim, cycle, walk ...I don’t drive anywhere! I go to my room about 8 pm , watch what I like on my own tv... read or write ...then about 10 I try to settle . Then the hour on and half hour off arrives and I keep that up till about 5.15 when I am awake for good...no going back. Stop fighting it and just give in to it...not half as bad as you imagine...

Saggi Thu 26-Sep-19 13:13:32

...also , my doc advised I try sleeping pills after I retired as he thought the insomnia was linked to my having to get up so early...I tried them , first one per night...then 2 per night. Not so much as made me drowsy .

crazyH Thu 26-Sep-19 13:25:32

I think, (this is just my take), sensitive people are less likely to fall asleep easily, because they take all the worries of the world (family mainly) on their shoulders. They over think. My friend, nice enough though she is, never worries about anything. Her children's problems are not hers, she says. I have shared holiday rooms with her , and as soon as lights are off, I can hear her snoring. I really envy her.

crazyH Thu 26-Sep-19 13:27:00

They also say, never go to bed on an empty stomach......suits me, but only makes me fatter?

Joelise Thu 26-Sep-19 13:34:46

Try melatonin to reset your sleep pattern . Also helpful, is to eat a large ripe kiwi fruit one hour before bed , it’s rich in seratonin (spelling ? ) which also helps sleep . Magnesium is also something you could try . Do hope that this helps . My friend, who has terrible problems with sleep listens to talking books on her iPod when she can’t sleep .

Shortlegs Thu 26-Sep-19 14:07:47

So, at 02:25 you are on your computer (despite what you said earlier in the post) stimulating your brain and wondering why you can't sleep?

Sheesh!

Mazamet07 Thu 26-Sep-19 14:56:23

Rub Lush 'Sleepy' into the soles of your feet, then do a gentle ten minutes or so of bedtime yoga, (Youtube search to find one you like) - works every time for me.

bikergran Thu 26-Sep-19 16:52:52

No help getting to sleep but! has anyone tried the App where you record your nights sleep on your phone.

Quite interesting (especially for those that "talk" in their sleep)

Bit long winded listening back to it but you can pick out the highs n lows without listening to the whole shebang.

Hetty58 Thu 26-Sep-19 17:22:14

I walk for an hour every day and sleep like a log. If I miss my two walks (even one of them) I have trouble staying asleep for long enough.