Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’m an old fogey . Are you ?

(160 Posts)
Gemini1789 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:41:07

(What’s a fogey anyway ? Anyone know ? )

I mute the tv during the ads
I like my house warm
I avoid being on the road in the school run
I like quiet
I love good manners.

Gemini1789 Tue 01-Oct-19 20:44:41

Full disclosure...I also crochet bedsocks .
I save the cardboard inserts from packages to write lists on.
I make lists .

MissAdventure Tue 01-Oct-19 20:48:44

Its like a game of fogey top trumps!

I thick glasses and should wear hearing aids.

Instead, I complain that I can't see constantly, and accuse everyone of mumbling. blush

mcem Tue 01-Oct-19 21:01:33

What a relief!
I tick so few of these boxes that I am not yet ready for fogeydom!

Revolucion Tue 01-Oct-19 21:17:04

I am the only one in the railway carriage reading an actual book instead of tuning into some kind of screen.
I have an electric blanket
I only wear comfort brands of footwear like Ecco
I have just bought a 5 pack of huge knickers from Sainsbury’s
I have no desire to leave the house in the evenings
I no longer have the faintest idea of what songs are popular with young people
I’m currently wearing elastic waist trousers and a fleece
My car is 20 years old and I have no central heating in my home
I’m 51 which I feel is old enough to qualify

Pantglas2 Tue 01-Oct-19 21:27:56

I’m still on proper books, have a butter dish, a milk jug and a sugar bowl. I air the bed for half a day before remaking it, have a clean dish cloth daily and I’ve always carried a bag in my handbag for purchases - am I qualified yet?

gillybob Tue 01-Oct-19 21:37:30

Based on most of the above, like mcem I am most definitely not a fogey.....yet.

SalsaQueen Tue 01-Oct-19 21:51:38

I'm an old fogey in some ways -
I appreciate (and practice) good manners.
I like comfortable, Sloggi knickers.
I use a flannel to wash my face.

In other ways, I'm not-
I go to Zumba 3 or 4 evenings a week.
I listen to Linkin Park, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian.
I run about with the GC in the indoor play centre.

I'm 60 and not a full fogey yet.

Urmstongran Tue 01-Oct-19 22:05:55

I’m an OFog too!

I appreciate nice manners.
I like to be cosy.
I am slightly apprehensive prior to any ‘routine’ medical appointment now I’m older.
I understand that handing grandchildren back to their parents is a joy.
Restaurant portions seem huge.
I am good at saying ‘no’ to people (at last, yay!)
Embarrassing situations don’t faze me.
I chat to strangers - on the bus, at the doctor’s, in the shops.
I haven’t an igloo who all these celebrities are and I don’t care.
Politics and current affairs interest me.
I don’t own a smartphone.
I can’t believe how much a stamp costs.
I really enjoy the company of and have time and patience for ‘old codgers’.
I am surprised how popular tattoos have become.
I ask the name of the waitress who is serving me - yet I remember being bemused why my mother did it!

What a great thread!!
?

EllanVannin Tue 01-Oct-19 22:24:24

In some respects I suppose I am.
Vests, a must as well as jumpers and trousers. Haven't yet resorted to wearing tights in case we have a bad winter and I won't feel the benefit later.

I go for comfort and not style, but then it seems that I always have so not much change there.
Flattish comfortable shoes----no more heels.

I'm young at heart and in my mind and when I see all the GGC I can shut-off from the din they make----I'm good at that though my ears buzz for ages when I come home and I'm usually exhausted.

I have a plaque which I was going to hang up outside beside the front door, it says " An old bat lives here " but I thought twice in case nobody came near at all so it's hanging on the key of my desk in the hall, but it's still spotted by callers. They can judge for themselves.

I tend to fight against old age ( fogeyism )

Harris27 Tue 01-Oct-19 22:27:50

We were separated at birth lily Pops!,!

dragonfly46 Tue 01-Oct-19 23:06:30

Although I am 73 , based on the above I am not an old fogey - yet!

GabriellaG54 Wed 02-Oct-19 03:38:46

Two words...*Ye gods* ??

downtoearth Wed 02-Oct-19 04:43:05

Nooooooo.....fighting it all the waygrin

Dolcelatte Wed 02-Oct-19 05:37:58

Doesn't everyone mute the ads and wear slippers indoors?

Oh dear, I fear fogeydom has crept up upon me without my noticing!

Alima Wed 02-Oct-19 06:10:15

I am a proud old fogey who thinks modern music is awful. Give me the old stuff any day.
Also I hate the way young people speak, gonna, wanna, so, like, fur babies et al!

BlueBelle Wed 02-Oct-19 06:40:58

Well looking at the above posts NO I m not ...hooray
I ve never worn a pinny since I was at school nor a vest cone to that
I ve never muted the adverts what a faff going up and down all the time I just blank out when adverts are on
I ve never used a flannel ( does that make you an old fogey, really?) always washed with my hands
I use mugs don’t own milk jugs, sugar bowls, etc I use tea bags
What’s a tea pot ? But isn’t that more about posh than age
I love my iPad and iPhone
Don’t read books any more Kindle or iPad is easier on my eyes ( unfortunately)
I think it’s more to do with keeping up with the changes in life than being an old fogey I don’t try to be ‘young’ but I do feel I want to keep up

annep1 Wed 02-Oct-19 06:46:01

LondonGranny I loved your post. I felt like I was in a time warp.

I too still write letters. Much nicer than email ( although I send those as well).

Riverwalk Wed 02-Oct-19 07:26:20

Recently I too became eligible for the pneumococcal jab - it sort of dawned on me that there's no escaping official old age!

Sixty five used to be when Old Men retired, now I'm 65 shock

But I'm determined not to be an Old Fogey so no slippers, pinnies, meals on laptrays, Hotter shoes, etc ..... but expect that will all come in the end!

I haven’t an igloo grin

Very funny and honest thread.

Riverwalk Wed 02-Oct-19 07:32:30

cotton hankies and lavender water ...... offal

The winner so far!

Sara65 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:34:19

I thought I was on the same page as Bluebelle till it came to the teapot, always use Twinings English Breakfast loose leaf tea, nothing else will do, and I love my books, never owned a kindle.

But I’ve had these traits my whole adult life, so I guess I’ve always been on the road to fogeyism!

Maggiemaybe Wed 02-Oct-19 07:37:57

Some old fogeydom’s bang on trend. Loose tea, bar soap, string bags, vinegar for cleaning, refilling instead of replacing, milk deliveries in glass bottles, cutting up old clothes for cleaning cloths.

Old fogeys rule!

Maggiemaybe Wed 02-Oct-19 07:41:29

I’d rather not even think about offal though. envy

BlueBelle Wed 02-Oct-19 07:46:11

I ve always been young at heart and interested in trends and forward movement so if something comes along that I don’t know about or understand I want to try it be it technical or wearable
I think it’s more about habit isn’t it if you ve always worn a pinny and slippers or used a teapot and tea strainer there’s absolutely nothing wrong in that but I never have so just because I m a certain age I wouldn’t start now
I too have to wear comfy shoes but the latest trends are flat so that’s great ... high heels are only for party nights (I don’t have many of them now) but equally I wouldn’t wear lace up brogues and knee length skirts on top of American tan tights ? luckily DMs Hi tops and trainers are the way to go for young and old but I m not stupid I would only wear things that suit a middle aged (74 s only middle aged now)/woman no torn jeans or crop tops thank you, love them on the kids but but that’s where they should stay on skinny firm smooth bodies
I don’t think you turn into an old fogey I think ways of life are different for different folks some people like tradition and stability others like a bit of variety and modernism and all are good in their own way
Great that we re all different

Sara65 Wed 02-Oct-19 08:02:05

Bluebelle

I mostly agree
Never worn a pinny, vest or slippers since childhood.
Love my iPhone
Enjoy fashion items on my lovely young grandchildren, but an fully aware that they’re not for me!
But I am slipping into bad habits like preferring to be inside with my book, than down the pub, and hate driving in the dark, something I always considered to be very old fogeyish!

crystaltipps Wed 02-Oct-19 08:07:43

It’s a no from me - no pinny, electric blanket, slippers or elasticated waists. It’s easy to just get into a rut which I think is fogeydom, and I’d like to think I can try new experiences, technologies, foods, drinks etc into my dotage. But each to their own.