Gransnet forums

AIBU

Faffing about.

(60 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Tue 05-Nov-19 15:22:55

I am not allowed to drive after my eye op so friend drove me and waited 15 mins at the doctor.
My punishment came next. She drove erratically to several shops then left me in car while she went to the bank.25 minutes later she came back ,did a u turn across traffic then we went to Lidl.Half an hour later she was still pottering while I waited. I told her I usually did banking on line which is much quicker but she wasn't interested. Glad to be home and hope to drive myself next time.Kind of her though but I have no patience.

welbeck Wed 06-Nov-19 00:08:48

never known to get in and out of GPs in less than about an hour, that's for usual 10 min appt, arriving on time.
I can see this from both sides. could you not have got a few bits in Lidl too, make use of the trip.
but on a serious note, what can be done about people whose driving has become risky, they so often do not realise. that's part of the problem, lack of self-awareness.

DoraMarr Wed 06-Nov-19 09:15:29

So, let me get this straight, your friend came and picked you up, took you to the doctor, waited for you, then drove you home, stopping on the way for a couple of errands. And you are complaining and criticising her driving?

MawB Wed 06-Nov-19 09:15:37

I have to say that in her place I probably wouldn’t be offering again.
If you knew she was such a bad driver I am surprised you accepted the lift and having done so, to moan about the fact she did her own errands while out is very much a case of looking a gift horse in the mouth!
If you want a dedicated taxi service - pay for it. If a friend puts herself out to take you to the doctor and wait for you, it is a bit rich to moan about her and call it a “punishment”!

annodomini Wed 06-Nov-19 09:46:56

There are charitable organisations in many communities who provide transport for people unable to attend appointments under their own steam. There is one here for which I was very grateful after I broke my shoulder and had to attend hospital appointments. A kind driver took me there, waited with me and took me home. No money is asked for, but donations gratefully received. Your local health centre should know if such an organisation exists in your area.

Gonegirl Wed 06-Nov-19 09:50:11

The Lidl bit would have driven me mad. No one should be forced into one of those shops.

Callistemon Wed 06-Nov-19 09:50:39

Good idea, annodomini, a friend of ours used to volunteer for the hospital car service.

And, of course they often have more than one passenger, so you have to be prepared to wait whilst other patients are seen by the doctor.

Hetty58 Wed 06-Nov-19 09:53:16

Kircubbin, next time, just get a cab to the doctors and call another to return - simple!

annep1 Wed 06-Nov-19 11:16:10

Well Kircubbin you'll know not to grumble here again!?

kircubbin2000 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:24:58

I think it says more about them than me.?

Namsnanny Wed 06-Nov-19 14:12:36

I probably shouldn’t have, but I found the description of your friends driving laugh out loud ? funny!
U turns with no thought of other drivers!!!
Shows she’s in a world of her own doesn’t it?
So it stands to reason she’s not going to give your needs a thought is she?
Relying on someone is always a bit tricky.

MawB Wed 06-Nov-19 14:49:07

Gonegirl ! ???
Lidl and Aldi are brilliant shops!

MawB Wed 06-Nov-19 14:50:53

Well I think it says that if a friend is kind enough to drive one around , Kircubbin, it behaves one to show a modicum of gratitude.
If not, pay for a taxi.

kircubbin2000 Wed 06-Nov-19 14:58:35

Deleted at user's request

Gonegirl Wed 06-Nov-19 15:16:27

They are like boring warehouses. (to Maw)

Gonegirl Wed 06-Nov-19 15:16:51

behoves?

kircubbin2000 Wed 06-Nov-19 15:23:43

Yes autocorrect changed my post.

JenniferEccles Wed 06-Nov-19 15:38:13

Gonegirl I was going to make the same point myself! ?

JenniferEccles Wed 06-Nov-19 15:40:34

......about Lidl that is!

annep1 Wed 06-Nov-19 16:34:37

But she didn't want driven around MawB she just wanted to go to the doctors. Instead it was a long drawn out expedition. She said it was kind of her friend.

merlotgran Wed 06-Nov-19 16:42:15

Aldi saves me 30% off my weekly shop and I'm in and out in twenty mins.

I shop on auto pilot so if it's boring I haven't noticed. grin

MawB Wed 06-Nov-19 16:45:38

“Behoves” indeed - wretched autocorrect, worse than GG54

MawB Wed 06-Nov-19 16:47:56

Pipers and tunes, pays and plays, annp1

annep1 Wed 06-Nov-19 19:36:41

That wouldn't be my attitude if a friend needed help MawB.

MawB Wed 06-Nov-19 20:58:37

If I offered (as I regularly do) to drive a friend anywhere I would not find it unreasonable to say “while we are out I need to pop into X or Y, do you need anything from them”
And she were to criticise my driving, I might not offer again.

And I would not need her to advise me about internet banking, as I might have had a very good reason to want to go into the branch.

It is downright rude to be so critical and grudging about someone doing OP a favour.

And you wonder that old people get labelled grumpy?

annep1 Wed 06-Nov-19 22:31:23

Several shops, 25 minutes bank, Lidl half hour, thats not just popping into a shop. I think I might feel grumpy after all that.
And if someone I was with spent twenty five minutes in the bank I would probably suggest Internet banking in case they hadn't thought of it and might be glad to know.