Gransnet forums

AIBU

house hold food waste dilemma

(101 Posts)
infoman Fri 22-Nov-19 08:15:36

Firstly,I am lucky that I don't need to leave the house until gone midday.I don't put our food waste out till 07;00am.
Too many fox's and other animals about,
neighbour who we don't speak too, borders out drive way.
Because the location is open plan there are no walls and the neighbours food waste is left next next to our drive way the evening before.
Thats not the issue,the issue is the night time animals have knocked over the waste food bin and the neighbours food waste is now all over our drive way and we will have to go over the food waste if the neighbour (or ourselves) do not pick up their food waste when they bring in their food waste bin.
Thoughts on a solution.

aggie Fri 22-Nov-19 08:18:25

Sweep it up rather than drive over it , therefore grinding it into your tarmac

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Nov-19 08:21:12

Sweep it up - in their direction. Or start speaking to them

Esspee Fri 22-Nov-19 08:30:02

So many neighbour problems could be prevented if people would just communicate.
Sweep your side up and when you get home have a nice friendly chat with your neighbour.

dizzyblonde Fri 22-Nov-19 08:41:11

Our food bins lock if you put the handle up straight. Stops the local wildlife partying. Only found this out by accident

annsixty Fri 22-Nov-19 08:45:31

We are lucky in that our waste food caddy has liners and we then put these in our green garden wheelie bin.
This does not solve your problem though but is that an option?

fizzers Fri 22-Nov-19 09:12:49

sweep it over to their side, they should get the message

ninathenana Fri 22-Nov-19 09:43:22

dizzyblonde yes ours do too.
Sweep it to their side and politely ask if in future they could lock the lid. No recriminations just "in future, would you please lock it, it would save both of us having to clear the mess those night creatures make."
annsixty you are lucky, we can't put anything apart from grass cuttings, prunings or uncooked veg in our garden bins. Any plastic whether biodegradable or not and the don't empty it.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Nov-19 09:44:00

Oh yuk food bins ? Thank goodness we don't have them here. They sound foul ! Summer months, and all the insects/ vermin ?
How utterly unhygienic. I'm sure the gases from that lot are helping the planet no end.

tanith Fri 22-Nov-19 09:57:04

The food bins do lock, nothing can get in including insects so no problems even in Summer months. Ours is taken and processed by microorganisms into biogas which is used to produce heat or electricity far preferable to it going to landfill which then adds to climate change.

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:00:39

All biological waste goes into our green bin and is then whisked to some place where all of it is turned into compost.
#justsaying

Re your neighbour agree that you sweep their debris onto their side

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:01:54

PS we have a person who comes round in a van and disinfects our buns after the bin people have been.

humptydumpty Fri 22-Nov-19 10:15:27

infoman, do you not have lockable food bins? - if the handle is upright, or over the front of the bin, it's locked here and nothing can get in, or fall out!

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 10:19:15

Ours has a handle which if turned a certain way, locks the bin. Even if the outside bin was knocked over it shouldn't open and they are supposed to be vermin proof.
We have a small inside bin which gets emptied regularly to the outside one and all is put in bags supplied by the Council.

It goes off to be recycled, which is better than going to landfill.

MawB Fri 22-Nov-19 10:28:03

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:01:54
PS we have a person who comes round in a van and disinfects our buns after the bin people have been.
Sorry, I know it’s wretched predictive text, but it gave me a laugh! gringrin

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:29:48

???

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:30:10

Never could proof read!

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 10:34:52

It could have been worse!
grin

annep1 Fri 22-Nov-19 10:43:39

Could you go out the evening before and lock their bin?

EllanVannin Fri 22-Nov-19 10:43:43

What happens if there's a strike ??

Fennel Fri 22-Nov-19 11:29:07

Like you,EllanV we don't have food bins. They do stink in warm weather. We went to visit son's inlaws once, who had the foodbin in the kitchen, and the whole house smelled terrible, it permeated everywhere.
We don't have much food waste and the small amount we have I put down the toilet.

Calendargirl Fri 22-Nov-19 11:32:40

Fennel
What sort of food waste do you put down the toilet?

BlueBelle Fri 22-Nov-19 11:37:39

We don’t have food bins either I wish we did
Do you know I can’t see any problem with sweeping it up whether it’s yours or not I often go on community clean ups clearing up other people’s crxx but honest does it matter as long as it’s cleaned up
I often clean our very scruffy rubbish strewn alleyway next to my house although I never use it myself not meaning that to make me sound a goody goody but can’t we all be a bit more caring about our environment
Why not talk to the neighbour wouldn’t that be nicer

MawB Fri 22-Nov-19 11:38:04

I would sweep it up then have a word about how effective their bin is. And whether something could be done to weigh it down.
I have a small food caddy which lives indoors and is emptied regularly into the big green wheelie bin. This latter has a flap down lid which is too heavy for any animals or birds to lift and could only be tipped over if empty as it gets heavy very quickly.
Works for us.

Fennel Fri 22-Nov-19 11:54:25

Calendargirl things like already cooked remains of stews, vegetables, soups etc.
Raw veg peelings I put in the garden refuse bin.
Fish remains I bag up firmly.and put in the non recyclable.