Gransnet forums

AIBU

CIS women

(111 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 24-Nov-19 10:04:18

I've been listening to Jo Swinson being interviewed by Andrew Marr, the subject of trans rights came up. She used the CIS pronoun several times to differentiate between trans women and women per se. Most of the wider public are not aware what CIS means, a friend of mine had to complete a form at work where she was asked to classify herself, several options "CIS" being one of them, she had to seek clarification as she had no idea whether she was one or not confused Why is the word woman not an adequate enough description to the majority of the female population who will remain in the sex they were assigned at birth?

GagaJo Sun 24-Nov-19 23:34:42

And I quote:

A new lesbian, gay and bisexual alliance group has been heavily criticised for excluding the transgender community, prompting people to label it transphobic.

The new alliance is formed of previous members of LGBT+ charity Stonewall who have decided to protest against the organisation’s transgender stance.

At the meeting, the group formed of “influential lesbians, gay men and bisexuals” revealed its mission to “counteract the confusion between sex and gender which is now widespread in the public sector and elsewhere”.

The LGB Alliance will be formally launched in January 2020, but hundreds of people have already criticised the group on social media for its perceived anti-trans stance.

On Twitter, the group describes its aim as: "Asserting the right of lesbians, bisexuals and gay men to define themselves as same-sex attracted. Gender is a social construct."

One person tweeted: “As a bisexual woman, I am utterly disgusted at your attacks on our trans siblings and your alliance with the religious right. You do not speak for me (or for any of the other queers I know – we’re all equally repulsed by your ideas).”

Another person tweeted that members of the group “should be ashamed” of themselves.

Others sought to deny the existence of an “LGB” movement altogether, with one person tweeting: “There is no LGB movement. Not one that doesn’t stand side by side with trans people. Speaking as a bisexual guy, no less is acceptable, and you definitely don’t speak for me.”

pinkquartz Sun 24-Nov-19 23:40:40

No gagjo

I have not turned out identical to my parents. I do not share their prejudices and I resent you saying that is how it is.

My nan was fiercely racist and no one else in the family has been.
see people can have their own minds.

You are right to teach DGS not to hurt animals. I hope he doesn't. But you cannot totally shape him. he maybe very openminded but in a different way to you.

Perhaps he will want to be dead straight and monogamous?
I have seen what rebellious teens can do.......and also who they fall in love with. It's not predictable.

We are very definitely into equality and fairness and kindness also .
But I don't agree with you on the transgender issue. I liked Simon Fanshawe's article.

GagaJo Sun 24-Nov-19 23:42:42

I don't mind who he is, or who he loves. As long as he is kind. I'd quite like it if he liked books, but doesn't look that way so far.

pinkquartz Sun 24-Nov-19 23:45:30

We live our life being as open and fairminded as we can.

I do not oppose transpeople but I will not jump on a bandwagon and call myself cis. ugh.
And if I disagree with someone then I feel that is ok.
In fact I am anti label.
I am a person who wants a fairer world and likes the Dalai Lama.

GagaJo Sun 24-Nov-19 23:51:50

I've always preferred to label myself to avoid having others label me. But now I'm pleased to be so old as to be invisible, to be honest. I feel old age degenders me (not trans, JUST not as feminine).

I see trans issues from the POV of the students I have had that struggle with it. I've had a few in the last 10 years, in the three countries I've lived in. They were each different and I am very glad I do not have the uphill battle they do. SUCH a hard thing to do. Being called a CIS woman, in comparison to what those kids go through is nothing. The one at my current school breaks my heart.

Galaxy Sun 24-Nov-19 23:56:15

Dear god. The point is the lgb community is split on this, so yes some would agree with the statement you posted.
Here are a range of responses to one of
Stonewalls fairly innocuous tweets on sport.

A disgusting betrayal of the name of Stonewall now a term of shame in the U.K
I used to respect you stonewall now you are just walking all over womens rights
Tackling homophobia in sport is a completely different thing to campaigning for males to compete in womens sport. Shameful organisation.
Drop the cis please.
All the above tweets are on stonewalls twitter feed for anyone to see. Post after post, some of them were so to the point I didn't dare repeat them. Everyone can see them and I am certain they are not being posted by GN members.

grannyactivist Mon 25-Nov-19 00:27:55

Racist children come from racist families. Education devaluing children come from families that do not value education. Bigotry is learned behaviour.

I'm glad to say that from my own personal experience that your statement is far from true GagaJo.

I value kindliness very highly, but truth and justice must be served alongside. I have very close, personal, and recent experience of this issue and have seen first hand how the Trans narrative has caused untold harm to a very vulnerable person. Fortunately this person has a warm, accepting and loving family who are able to help Humpty get put back together, but I believe there are many others who are left isolated and deeply, deeply confused and abused.

This is not a simple matter of inclusion if by including some there is an exclusionary effect for others. Women's rights were hard won and women's experience is unique to women. So no, I am not a cis woman, my biology dictates that I am a woman - simply that. I totally reject the notion that someone can force an unwanted term onto another.

I do have a great deal of sympathy for trans-people who are negotiating a tricky path, but it needs to be acknowledged that there are few safe places for people to debate this topic without being declared an enemy.

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:28:22

Gagajo using CIS around girls is teaching them that if they are female but not steriotypical girly, then they are non-women.

This will cause so much uneccesary anguish to children as they develop. Please don't.

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:31:28

If you want to proudly declare that you match gender steriotypes in your private life, fine! But it is not okay to do so to children who should be able to go to school in a slightly more progressive environment where your sex doesnt have to conform to gender steriotypes in order for you to be accepted as that sex.

Using CIS is not moving with the times. It is regressive.

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:40:57

The message you send children when you use CIS Vs non-binary/trans, is that if they do not comply with gender steriotypes, then they are not "real" males/females.

No wonder children in your care are struggling with this and feel forced to redefine themselves!

This isnt the 50s! Women doesnt = meek, coy and pretty dresses and dollies. Man doesn't = butch, stoic, and manly sports!

It is fine to be a "girly" woman. But you tell other women that its not fine to be a woman and butch/sporty/etc if you present CIS as the only alternative to being trans or non binary

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:42:26

Which is okay around adults (who will just think you sound like a bit of a woke numpty) but damaging around young people!

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:46:14

I am not CIS because:

I dont believe in conforming to the gender steriotypes associated with my sex.

I do not believe that gender steriotypes are what defines sex.

People who express gender steriotypes that do not "match" their sex are not then the opposite sex.

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:51:43

By calling yourself CIS you are giving children rigid boxes.

If they dont fit in the CIS box, because they are girls but not girly, or boys who like make up, they will feel they have to find another one of your boxes. Rather than just being what they are!

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:53:32

They need role models who are the sex they are without defining whether or not they "match" gender expectations. Why dont you want to be that role model?

GagaJo Mon 25-Nov-19 07:55:08

Notanam2, Let me just clarify YET AGAIN. No teacher in a mainstream school classroom EVER discusses this stuff with students.

If you think UK teachers have the time for anything other than the exhausting daily grind, you know little about the sausage factory education has become.

You may be not a nan, but you're clearly not a teacher either. I'm more worried about getting lesson plans written, books marked in 3 colour ink (NOT my 'woke' idea, this is what education has become) and jumping through academy hoops to be woke - YOUR word not mine).

We're in the 21st century. Join us maybe?

GagaJo Mon 25-Nov-19 07:55:56

But nice of you to define what SOMEONE else needs. Not sure how you'd take to being told what YOU need without listening to what YOU had to say.

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:58:16

We're in the 21st century. Join us maybe?

You are the one supporting a regression to the steriotypes of the 20th century, not me!

Galaxy Mon 25-Nov-19 08:00:49

You see they never address any of the questions raised. They just shout bigot or you are too old. But fortunately brave women have fought and fought to raise this issue and sunlight is being shone, and when people see the name calling and lack of a coherent arguement they will make their own minds up.

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 08:00:57

Not sure how you'd take to being told what YOU need without listening to what YOU had to say.

You know exactly how I would react to being called CIS or to adults using it around my daughters.

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 08:02:29

Calling yourself CIS doesnt just define you. It defines women in general by whether they do or dont match steriotypes

Galaxy Mon 25-Nov-19 08:02:43

grin You are joking. You are telling us what we need. We need spaces without men, how come we arent allowed to decide what we need.

GagaJo Mon 25-Nov-19 08:02:51

The key word in that sentence was NEED.

Maybe I'm not the unwoke one.

Sillygrandma5GK Mon 25-Nov-19 08:03:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 08:07:35

Those of us who dont want "women" re-defined and replaced with narrow pigeon holes based on outward behaviours and appearances and "girly feelings" are quite fond of the 21st century, And dont want to go back to being seen as the fragile meek little decorative sex!

notanan2 Mon 25-Nov-19 08:10:24

Maybe I'm not the unwoke one.
....own goal..

So you do not think that children NEED adults who believe that they can dress, be, do, what they want regardless of their sex then?