Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sending private messages through GN

(59 Posts)
evianers Tue 04-Feb-20 16:50:45

Is it unreasonable when you feel you have something in common with other GNetters, and have therefore sent them a private message, that you might become upset when they simply do not respond?

Tangerine Sun 09-Feb-20 12:30:27

No-one has ever sent me a private message unless I've sent one first.

I have almost always received a reply and they have always been nice replies.

Quizqueen - I am uncertain about whether or not I've ever sent you a private message. If so, I would have had good intentions and not meant to upset you. I think, sometimes, people just want to answer or help without airing their personal business on a public site where they could be recognised.

Esspee Sun 09-Feb-20 12:31:12

Where do you find personal messages on gransnet?

Elegran Sun 09-Feb-20 12:55:31

In the "Inbox" Esspee. On a laptop that is at the top right of the page, next to the button that says "Log Out"

I have sent you a short message - you will see it when you go to your inbox.

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 14:31:15

Janea and trisher

I think 'message removed at poster's request' just means that someone has been tidying up their message boxes.

If you delete sent messages the recipient gets that message 'message removed at sender's request' in their inbox and the messages from that person are deleted.

I don't think the converse happens ie if you delete your inbox the sender doesn't lose theirs.

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 14:32:56

There was also a GNHQ IT blip a while ago where messages were getting deleted randomly!

Marydoll Sun 09-Feb-20 14:53:01

Espee, if you look further up the thread, I have posted a screenshot of where your inbox can be found.

janeainsworth Sun 09-Feb-20 17:59:58

Ah thanks Callistemon smile

NanaandGrampy Sun 09-Feb-20 22:44:16

I don’t understand why you would think a pm intrusive Quizqueen ?

Is it not just someone reaching out to sympathise or offer support ? Or someone offering a recommendation to do with a post you made ? Rather than clog up a thread a pm makes so much more sense . I don’t think I understand your rationale ?