Gransnet forums

AIBU

Guilt over my Mum

(60 Posts)
dortie145 Fri 07-Feb-20 08:57:42

I moved in with my Mum 88 through necessity 18 months ago. I had no money, no job and a dodgy car, and she has helped me enormously financially and can afford to do so. I am 64, she does not need care, and still drives. We do not get on however and the screaming rows and drama reminiscent of my childhood are getting me down. We both drink too much, probably because we are unhappy. I am moving out to a bed sit at my age! I dont have to go but for my sanity and to keep remnants of our relationship going I feel it's the only solution. She is ok with it but I feel guilt at being so dysfunctional! I see other people doing everything for their Mums but despite her age she doesn't need me really

BazingaGranny Fri 07-Feb-20 22:02:26

Dear dortie145, you sound fabulous and realistic.

Well done in getting your own bedsit. For what its worth, I couldn’t live with my father (97 and still VERY bossy) and even visiting for a few hours makes my blood pressure rocket!

And don’t believe all the people who claim happy home lives, some of them of course will be happy, but others will be bullied and some will be bullies themselves.

Enjoy your small home by the sea. ?

pengwen Fri 07-Feb-20 23:05:31

Currently have DD and partner living in our home.
It is working ok but we both will be more content in a home of our own .
I sometimes need to hold my tongue,it can be the small things that cause disagreements,and she has a powerful personality.
Like your son Dortie they are not paying rent.I understand where you are coming from with that,my husband's sister said "I don't know anyone else who would do that".
My own mother lives some distance away ,unfortunately it would be very stressful if she lived with us.My husband said we would split up.At nearly 80 she is in great health,but I do worry that if she became unwell I would be unable to help.
I think you are doing the right thing,Look forward to your home .Look after yourself.
" Thanks mum for the help when I needed it,but now we both need our own space."

Readerjb Sat 08-Feb-20 01:44:56

You're doing the right thing. Here in Austtalia, a similar realtionship became so toxic that the daughter killed her mother, when said mother complained the lamb chops were not hot enough.
No more to be said

Maremia Sat 08-Feb-20 14:52:33

Dortie145, your future bedsit near the beach sounds lovely. Enjoy. Tillybelle, good for you taking in those rescue dogs.

Soozikinzi Sun 09-Feb-20 22:42:51

Don’t feel guilty both benefit and get on much better say once or twice a week. When you’ve lived on your own a long tor’s hard to Ashton sharing again x

Soozikinzi Sun 09-Feb-20 22:43:40

Hard to Adjust to sharing again I meant ?

MadeInYorkshire Mon 10-Feb-20 12:56:09

Dortie - my financial issues started with something VERY similar! The initial figure has morphed into something unsustainable now I am unable to work sad

It may be a bedsit - but it will be your bedsit, your space - mine is invaded and we just do not get on and I hate it sadly but need to support her as she literally has nowhere else to go ....

H1954 Tue 11-Feb-20 19:10:10

Sorry GNetters, all these comments made me so sad. I would dearly love to have some time with my Mum. I didn't realise how much I loved her until the day I had to let her go. She was so very poorly and totally exhausted that she could fight it no longer.
Give your mum, despite your difference, a big hug, put the differences aside and tell her you love her. She won't always be there.

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 21:48:55

H1954, we don't all have the same feelings about our mothers. I never got on with mine. When she was very elderly, I felt sorry for her, of course, did my duty and visited - but only really for the sake of my siblings. There was no bond and when she died, all I felt was relief.