Gransnet forums

AIBU

Confused. Projected uk death rate due to Coronavirus.

(86 Posts)
52bright Sat 28-Mar-20 17:29:09

Good evening all. We need all the positive posts we can get in these difficult times so first an apology because this is not really a positive thread. My question though is this. Why in tonight's bulletin were we we told that it would be a good outcome for the uk if death figures for Coronavirus were kept below 20000. The whole world's death rate on the world update site is approx. 29000 so why are we as one relatively small area of the world projecting a death rate of 20000. Maybe this is managing expectations, giving us a worst case scenario number of death cases so that if it rises to say 15000 we will consider that our government has done well. The death rate in Germany is far lower per million of population than here. They say this is because of more organised testing which means those who display no symtoms but who have the disease are quickly isolated. I have no idea but 20000 projected deaths here when the world amount at the moment is about 29000 seems very frightening. Stay in and keep safe everyone flowers

suziewoozie Sat 28-Mar-20 21:59:33

Is it really true that that is what Germany does? Has anyone got a link ( with no paywall)? It’s number of deaths has gone up quite a lot

vegansrock Sun 29-Mar-20 04:44:08

Deaths in Italy are 900 per day. But they count those who die at home and in nursing homes who are tested. In the U.K. we are only testing those who die in hospital. So maybe our figure should be higher?

Pikachu Sun 29-Mar-20 07:33:00

Not quite accurate. Recently a 35-year old mother died at home in London after being told by medics she was not a priority. She was tested counted posthumously I assure you.

M0nica Sun 29-Mar-20 07:48:39

Callistemon that is what I said.

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 09:57:04

I'm not sure, M0nica I think we do mean slightly different things.

Some underlying conditions may not make any difference to the outcome but if Germany records a death as being due to the underlying condition and not COVID19, that would distort the figures.

M0nica Sun 29-Mar-20 10:12:00

Ah that is a matter of registration. I was replying to an individual who couldn't understand why underlying conditions that didn't interfere with her normal life, could be a problem if she got corona virus.

suziewoozie Sun 29-Mar-20 10:33:22

Our official figures only include deaths in hospital.
Has anyone verified the statement about Germany yet? Their figures are going up more now.

oldgimmer1 Sun 29-Mar-20 12:02:44

Suzie there's an article in the New York Times (?) that tries to explain it. I've been trying to share it, without succcessgrin.

The gist of it is that Germans have taken a more robust stance in terms of identifying and tracking, and chalking deaths up to conditions other than CV.

Their rate of death due to CV is around 0.72%.

notanan2 Sun 29-Mar-20 12:30:59

Germany have taken the "spanish flu" route and deflated their official numbers. Italy was villified but Italy went the other way with their counting.

Britain hasnt inflated or deflated their numbers so lies somewhere in the middle and is recording both Covid and comorbidities when it comes to deaths.

Some other countries are doing the same and harsh as it is, are calculating the number of people who would likely have died in the next 18 months of any respiratory disease or infection were covid not here, and using that in their "best case scenario" projections for covid

notanan2 Sun 29-Mar-20 12:32:36

A lot of the articles about the German model are in Italian have heard about them from Italian friends.

Pikachu Sun 29-Mar-20 13:20:50

You say Germany is ‘cheating’? They are accepting patients from Italy to help put.

Pikachu Sun 29-Mar-20 13:20:55

Out

suziewoozie Sun 29-Mar-20 13:22:16

not thanks for replying. Sorry if I hadn’t made it clear but I have been talking about number of deaths. The death rates are very flawed aren’t they as they depend entirely on the type of testing regime each country has in place. On worldometers I’ve been looking at deaths per million of the population but I know that’s not perfect either. But I still haven’t seen anything authoritative that says Germany is reporting differently. I accept that no country’s figures will be perfect - that’s not possible of course.

suziewoozie Sun 29-Mar-20 13:25:42

The really sensible thing in terms of future learning is obviously to record the COVID test result and any of the conditions that make someone vulnerable.These figures can then be crunched later and may be useful for example in prioritising being vaccinated when the vaccine is available

notanan2 Sun 29-Mar-20 13:27:17

It's not "cheating"
It's that one set of numbers arent necessarily comparible to another set of numbers IYKWIM.

You first have to make sure you are comparing like for like.

Its about the way its recorded, and if its recorded whether its recorded as primary or secondary cause etc.

Its not "cheating" its about understanding the numbers

notanan2 Sun 29-Mar-20 13:31:40

E.g. one country may say, lets not admit dying people from nursing homes who already have an advanced care plan. As we wont be treating them in ITU and its kinder to die at home than in an isolation ward. They are put under palliative care. Their death is not registered as an unplanned death. So no tests run etc.

Another country admits all suspected covid cases in an attempt to contain it. All are tested. All get registered as "unplanned deaths"

Neither way is wrong or cheating.
Both have valid rationalles.
Different numbers.

notanan2 Sun 29-Mar-20 13:37:57

Once palliative care is involved, so long as theres no safeguarding concerns etc. A death wont go to coroners court or be recorded as an "unplanned" covid death.

Some people would never survive ventillation. UK is still admitting these people then trying to get them back home.

Now GPs are urgently trying to register everyone who shouldnt be admitted at all. Which will change our numbers again

notanan2 Sun 29-Mar-20 13:45:50

If we tested everyone there would be +ive people who are dying of other causes. Some countries are cotaining them all on same covid wards. UK is trying not to.

Etc

Pikachu Sun 29-Mar-20 13:59:30

What on earth is an ‘unplanned’ covid death? Are there planned covid deaths then?

Are you saying GPS are making lists of people who should be left at home to take their chances? I’m picturing a busy GP going through all her patients and putting them into two piles.

Baggs Sun 29-Mar-20 14:06:01

There is a very good article in The Spectator this week, by John Lee (a recently retired professor of pathology and a former NHS consultant pathologist) explaining the problems with what the mainstream media publishes about covid numbers and why it is easy to be confused.

He reckons the number of infections is vastly under-estimated, that the number of deaths is vastly over-estimated, and that the time scale of the disease matters.

This is his concluding paragraph:
The UK and other governments have no control over how their data is reported, but they can minimise the potential for misinterpretation by making absolutely clear what its figures are, and what they are not. After this episode is over, there is a clear need for an internationally coordinated update of how deaths are attributed and recorded, to enable us to better understand what is happening more clearly, when we need to.

Baggs Sun 29-Mar-20 14:08:49

With reference to notanan's recent post:

John Lee discusses the difference between dying with covid19 and dying due to it.

maddyone Sun 29-Mar-20 14:14:07

52bright
I agree with you, however the deaths are counted, and it does seem that different countries are using slightly different ways to count, nonetheless the projected numbers are frightening.

notanan2 Sun 29-Mar-20 14:17:41

What on earth is an ‘unplanned’ covid death? Are there planned covid deaths then?

Its about how deaths are registered and whether they go through the coroner etc.

Its a technical term and is how it happens regardless of covid.

Yes people who are CV+ive may well be registered as a "planned" death: they might have already been under paliative care before catching CV!

Baggs Sun 29-Mar-20 14:18:15

What on earth is an ‘unplanned’ covid death

Guessing here but I suspect it refers to people who would not have been expected to die with covid let alone due to it but do die nonetheless. Surprising victims.

These are different people from those who are definitely at risk of dying with the disease because they already have health issues that make them vulnerable to further infection and more likely, therefore, to die. Less surprising victims.

Baggs Sun 29-Mar-20 14:19:19

I think it would be silly to take literally phrases such as "unplanned" and "planned" in this scenario.