Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rescuing standed Brits

(142 Posts)
Floradora9 Mon 30-Mar-20 18:40:09

The government is about to spend thousands on flight for Brits stranded abroad. I know some people have had no choice in this but some could have made arrangements weeks ago to come home. I heard Simon Calder on the radio say lots of these are young people back packing now wanting to come home . Why should we pay for them to do so ? If I was a parent of one of these young people I would willingly stump up to bring them home .

annsixty Mon 30-Mar-20 18:43:20

Not thousands but multi millions according to google news.

Ellianne Mon 30-Mar-20 18:48:01

I thought the same. Surely they had the opportunity to get themselves home when all the troubles started, or not even go in the first place. I know someone who rejoiced when Trump said he would still let UK visitors in because their holiday would still go ahead and they aren't youngsters, just stupid.

Labaik Mon 30-Mar-20 18:48:15

I don't think any of those young people realised what would happen in their gap year, and some of them will have been travelling for quite a while. What I don't understand is people setting of on long cruises etc when it was becoming apparent that we were heading for a pandemic. As for this countries response to bringing people home well, I find it appalling. Why should people have made arrangements weeks ago to come home when even the government were ignoring playing down the seriousness of the situation.

suziewoozie Mon 30-Mar-20 18:52:30

Humm I’ve got mixed feelings on this. I know personally of two sets of people who chose to go knowing what was on the horizon. They were warned. One got the last commercial flight home, the others ( cruisers) had to be flown home on a special flight and complained because it was ECONOMY class?.

SueDonim Mon 30-Mar-20 18:53:52

Some folks in New Zealand have been unable to get their flights home when NZ abruptly shut their borders. That’s not their fault. Flights are now available - for between £15,000 and £40,000 each. Very few people have that sort of money lying about.

annodomini Mon 30-Mar-20 18:59:42

I was really dubious when DS1 announced that he and his GF were going to Barbados two weeks ago. Sure enough, Virgin Atlantic cancelled their flight back. However, they were put on a list for the next available flight and got back on Saturday. Did I say, 'I told you so'. No! He is a middle aged man and more than capable of making his own mind up - and his own mistakes! But I was relieved when he got the flight.

notanan2 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:07:15

Everyone is retrospectively judging people whilst forgetting that apart from the loo roll nonsense, we were ALL business as usual 2ish weeks ago.

Riverwalk Mon 30-Mar-20 19:17:07

As I understand things, most people abroad have been trying to arrange their own way back but have been in lockdown in various countries and flights have been suspended.

What do you think the government should do - leave them to flounder?

If it were your own family members I'm sure you'd want them to be repatriated as soon as possible.

suziewoozie Mon 30-Mar-20 19:17:36

not it’s not necessarily retrospective judgement - these two sets of people were warned before they went. The writing was on the wall and some of us read it.

suziewoozie Mon 30-Mar-20 19:21:18

I’d want them not to moan if they’d been warned. That’s not saying they shouldn’t be repatriated but some of them are being very whingey

Gaunt47 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:23:45

The writing was indeed on the wall. 3 friends of mine travelling in the far east realised at the beginning of the month what was going on and decided to come home. They had to spend a great deal of money changing their plans, but thought it was worth it. Seems they should have stayed put and come home at the tax payer's expense.

GagaJo Mon 30-Mar-20 19:37:49

I came back to the uk from working abroad 2 weeks ago, and was castigated on here.

notanan2 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:53:22

not it’s not necessarily retrospective judgement - these two sets of people were warned before they went. The writing was on the wall and some of us read it.

Really? Because 10 days ago, okay we werent all taking flights/cruises but most WERE out and about. Schools were still open. Buses running on normal time tables, people going to cafes, gyms, hairdressers etc.

If it was so obvious then then why was everyone still business as usual?

eazybee Mon 30-Mar-20 19:55:17

Will they have to pay towards the costs? Seems only fair.

suziewoozie Mon 30-Mar-20 19:57:24

eazy Raab said they would have to pay something .

suziewoozie Mon 30-Mar-20 20:02:10

I don’t know why you are being so defensive about this not. What I’ve posted about the people I know is true and they weren’t the only ones. I’ve just remembered another idiot who was warned about going and had to be flown back after 2 days. Anyway, it’s not worth arguing about it.

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 20:02:21

I'm not sure that I would have gone overseas for a holiday 2ish weeks ago

We have friends whose holiday in China was cancelled and they were offered a cruise instead - knowing what happened on the Diamond Princess would I have gone? No.
They did, got as far as the States and were flown back.
A young man I know was determined to get to Bali for his holiday. I don't know if he went or not.

notanan2 Mon 30-Mar-20 20:04:33

9 days ago national trust sites and beaches were full.

The UK hotel I had booked only shut 8 days ago and only cancelled future bookings 6 days ago.

I really do not think we all knew 2 weeks ago what we know now. I mean we may have known it a bit, in theory, buy it hadnt yet sunk in or translated to restricted plans and lifestyles.

I think its easy to point the finger at travellers and say "well you should have known" but we were all living very differently 2 weeks ago.

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 20:05:04

Our friends who went for the cruise but had to come home went about 3 weeks ago.
I would still not have gone.

notanan2 Mon 30-Mar-20 20:23:24

I think it didnt hit home here until last Sunday (22nd). By last Sunday: good luck getting a flight back!

On Saturday 21st people were still doing much of what they did before except not shaking hands and using a bit more hand gel. Most non food shops and businesses were still open (again with just a few nods to extra hygiene measures). Even by monday quite a few non essential businesses and shops were still thinking they could run a reduced service, or switch to takeaway only etc, rather than actually shutting.

So we all were thinking that although there would be some changes, it wouldnt be absolute lockdown just days later.

A family have been heavily criticised for gathering at a funeral 2 weeks ago (where they spread corona) but hairdressers and cafes were still full then!

A GNer posted about travelling abroad (or far??) for a funeral and most replies said "I would go".

But NOW everyones claiming that they knew better back then... well then why was everyone still out and about if everyone is now saying they knew back then??

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 20:28:50

I know my male acquaintance was going over two weeks ago on holiday to the Far East and his companion said that it was not a good idea to go. She didn't, I think he may have done. I don't know if he actually went or has come home again.

Urmstongran Mon 30-Mar-20 20:30:24

Me neither Calli.

If I were stranded in say India or Africa I’d be desperate to get back. That said I’d have been trying to get a flight 3 weeks ago or more.

Pikachu Mon 30-Mar-20 20:35:08

Poor travellers. Must be horrible to be stranded at this time.

Urmstongran Mon 30-Mar-20 20:36:30

The lockdown here in Spain was sudden. All was normal on the Saturday morning (I even had a hair appointment- out just after 2pm) and we went out for a cocktail and dinner on a (pretty deserted by then) marina. The lockdown occurred later that night. It was Saturday 10th March. In other countries, that date would have sounded a huge klaxon if I were elsewhere abroad. The writing was on the wall then.