Gransnet forums

AIBU

Partner not doing anything

(105 Posts)
SalsaQueen Wed 01-Apr-20 16:50:30

My husband has been at home for 2 weeks, with a sore throat, NO other symptoms. Now he's furloughed (Who knows how long?!) but he doesn't want to do anything at all.

I work in the mornings, and usually lunchtime too (the lunchtime one has finished whilst all this Covid-19 is on), and I do everything at home. I don't mind that, when he's at work all day....BUT he's 61, fit and healthy, and is currently asleep on the settee, having done absolutely nothing today. AIBU to feel angry?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Apr-20 10:39:41

I'm not sure whether I have understood you correctly. You say your'e doing everything at home and that you don't mind doing so when he is at work.

Does this mean that you always do all the housework?

If it does, you can't really expect your husband to help now. For one thing he doesn't know that houses don't run themselves, as neither you nor his mother ever taught him to do housework.

Most men, when they are ill, revert to being little boys who expect mummy to do everything, and wives quickly become mummy in this context.

You cannot reasonably expect a man who has never done any housework to begin when he is feeling ill.

When he is well again you will need to discuss this issue with him, otherwise you will be facing a retirement where he does nowt all day, and you are left doing all the housekeeping.

SalsaQueen Sun 05-Apr-20 11:32:52

grandtanteJE65 You haven't understood me entirely, but never mind. My husband HASN'T been ill, that's what I'm complaining about.

I always do all the housework - he is usually at work all day. HE usually does everything outside, so gardening, maintaining the cars (one each) and any DIY jobs.

Roses Sat 02-May-20 14:45:26

Boris calls his baby Wilfred . It must be a family name but I wonder how pleased Wilfred will be with his name when he is older

Roses Sat 02-May-20 14:46:14

Sorry wrong place!