Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cemetery

(32 Posts)
Guineagirl Sat 18-Apr-20 19:19:45

Please no there are worse answers. Mams birthday tomorrow I go every few weeks but last time was just before Mother’s Day. It’s a birthday tomorrow and I take a card and flowers for the grave, also light a candle at home, can I go or not the website says the cemeteries are open but I have to drive seven miles, I’m not sure if I’m allowed though. I have the card and flowers but I don’t know.

EMMF1948 Sun 26-Apr-20 22:27:22

Is this different across the counties. Does anyone know?

We had 8 people at the crematorium but we had to sit apart, it seemed to be fairly arbitrary, most of our friends and other family would have had to travel a long way.
In Manchester you can have 150 if you are thugs and the police think it's safer not to upset you!

Lucca Sun 26-Apr-20 22:37:39

Does anyone know.are you allowed to move to live with another family if you and they have been isolating up to now ?

sharon103 Sun 26-Apr-20 23:10:50

You go Guineagirl.
I went to our cemetery on my dads birthday, 17th March and again on Mothers day to take flowers.
Our cemetery is at the other end of the village and went down in my sons car. He lives at home with me.
We saw that the grass hadn't been cut and so we took the grass clippers and push mower a couple of days ago and is nice and tidy now. We went in the early evening just in case there was a daytime funeral. There was only us on the road.
We noticed that a few had been to tend to graves.
I like you was worried whether we should be doing this.
I always have a chat with them and tell them what's going on. I hope they hear me.
We will be going again on 30th April for the 6th anniversary of our mums death and again on the 3rd May for the 30th anniversary of my dad.
It would have broken my heart if I hadn't have gone.

Evie64 Sun 26-Apr-20 23:28:30

Guineagirl, I really hope you went to your mums grave. You only have one mum, and I'm sure, in your shoes, I would have gone. Sadly, my dads grave is in London and I live in Devon so I don't get many opportunities as it is, with this lockdown.

May7 Mon 27-Apr-20 09:09:16

My understanding (well in our area anyway) is that all cemeteries and graveyards are open to the public
However if the cemetery has a crematorium in place then they are closed but opened up only for funerals. Each crematorium has it's own rules as to how many members can attend as they are practising safe distancing and ashes cannot be scattered for the time being. We have a family funeral to go to but its limited to 12 . All very sad but needs must at this time

silverlining48 Mon 27-Apr-20 12:59:16

Was pondering about this as its my mums birthday but on reading the posts decided to go today. It was fine, roads and cemetery quieT. Had a quick tidy, took some flowers from the garden and a jam jar as a vase and am pleased fear didnt stop me from remembering a dear, kind and much missed mum on her birthday.