Gransnet forums

AIBU

Adult children returning home

(104 Posts)
LouTog Tue 05-May-20 12:51:58

My middle son lives away - during lockdown hes on his own completely. He only moved to this big city in Jan 20 - hes been furloughed from his job. But whilst he was at home with me he had poor mental health but he moved out to help himself.
Before moving he lived with me & my partner for 3 months. My partner made it clear he didn't like him & resented him being there.
Im so torn - I feel terrible for my son - he couldn't come back before lockdown because of my partner. Hes suffering now & I don't know how to help him. Ive tried to discuss with it with my partner or even ask for some support for me but he just doesn't see the need.
I know other people cant provide a solution but anyone any thoughts on how to help him & help me

LouTog Thu 07-May-20 07:14:51

Thank you for all your comments , thoughts and feelings. Obviously a decision only I can take however its been heartening to know that others are there.
I spoke to him yesterday - hes down..... but not out.... one day at a time flowers

mumofmadboys Thu 07-May-20 08:10:21

Sounds like a good approach LouTog. Hope things improve for you all x

SheilsM Thu 07-May-20 08:49:30

We don’t know all the details and particularly why your partner doesn’t want your son with you. But on first sight I feel angry with your partner. This is your son, he is part of you. I chose my son over my husband 20 years ago and I have never regretted it and I am incredibly close to my son now. He turned himself around from his problems, made a success of his life and I like to think that this was achieved partly with the fact that I was always there for him.