Gransnet forums

AIBU

Adult children returning home

(104 Posts)
LouTog Tue 05-May-20 12:51:58

My middle son lives away - during lockdown hes on his own completely. He only moved to this big city in Jan 20 - hes been furloughed from his job. But whilst he was at home with me he had poor mental health but he moved out to help himself.
Before moving he lived with me & my partner for 3 months. My partner made it clear he didn't like him & resented him being there.
Im so torn - I feel terrible for my son - he couldn't come back before lockdown because of my partner. Hes suffering now & I don't know how to help him. Ive tried to discuss with it with my partner or even ask for some support for me but he just doesn't see the need.
I know other people cant provide a solution but anyone any thoughts on how to help him & help me

sarahellenwhitney Wed 06-May-20 13:10:49

My child would come first.Whoever /whatever.

ALANaV Wed 06-May-20 13:24:15

Son first. If partner doesn't like it ...he moves out (and just now that would be difficult to do !) so , invite your son to move back in and see what happens. This just happened to a friend of mine ,...new partner said he should come first, ! My friend said NO way ,,,you go, my children come first (adults) so she threw him out ….luckily he did have somewhere else to go ...but some men are so selfish HE HAS TO GO ….

Tillybelle Wed 06-May-20 13:32:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tillybelle Wed 06-May-20 13:35:38

SORRY! I put this into "word" as it was long and I wanted to précis it. Then a parcel came and I completely forgot and posted both my letters. Please read the second if you see this in time and sorry.

Wish I could remove it!

Tillybelle Wed 06-May-20 13:46:14

Have asked Grans Net HQ to remove my double post above and I will re-send! So sorry!

Hithere Wed 06-May-20 13:57:36

I agree with jefm

My kids come first but they are children.

Your partner may sound heartless but we do not know much about the situation

Is OP babying her adult son?
What is her adult son doing to improve his own situation?
As adults, we cannot run to mommy and daddy to be saved by them when we have problems

This lockdown is hard for everybody.
Op's son is not the only one who has experienced ob loss and mental health issues due to the pandemic

OP's son lived with them in the past I wonder what happened that OP's partner does not an adult back in the home he shares with OP.

Newatthis Wed 06-May-20 14:03:54

It must be awful for anyone living alone at the moment. there is help out there, especially those with mental health issues. Go to the NHS website. As for your partner, he doesn't sound very sympathetic at all. Are there any issues which has made him this way?

GabriellaG54 Wed 06-May-20 14:16:45

There is no doubt about it.
I would put my children before anyone, partner or husband. Not anyone.
Do what your gut feeling tells you to do. ??

annie55w Wed 06-May-20 14:32:19

I have been in exactly your position.No doubt about it.Your partner is being controlling and putting a division between you and your son.My 2nd husband did this to me and my son.It destroyed my sons mental health.After several years of being piggy in the middle he is now my ex husband.Your children must always come first no matter their age.

GabriellaG54 Wed 06-May-20 14:57:35

Applegran
What a great post. You said it all ??

Urmstongran Wed 06-May-20 15:10:07

Your partner isn’t a nice person. Sorry.
I’d get a flight out to my son and work out my future from there.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 06-May-20 15:50:00

You don't say how long you have been with your partner, but I am not certain I think that makes a difference.

IMO, but this is only my opinion, I think you need to sit down on your own and review your relationship with this man.

He resents your son and didn't like him living with you. Was there a good reason for this? (Did your son treat him nicely or do anything that might have caused this resentment?)

You say your partner cannot see the need to discuss the fact that you are worried about your son and is providing no support for you.

Is he jealous of your children? Jealous when you spend time with others?

What is he doing, may I ask, to make you want to continue the relationship?

Do you own the house you and he are living in, or does he?

If it is your house, tell your son to come home and tell your partner that he can like it or lump it, or leave. If he stays, you expect him to treat your son politely, as long as your son is polite to him.

If it is his house, or a joint property, go to your son and come back when he is back at work.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 06-May-20 16:19:25

Your poor son living with the feeling he can't come and stay. To be honest there would be no contest my son would come back and my partner would go. What sort of man can't accept a person who needs help.

ReadyMeals Wed 06-May-20 16:32:14

He is allowed to move back to live with you - this topic has been raised in the UK at least with the government advisers and they say its ok to move back in with family or with a partner as long as you settle there and not toing and froing

Jang Wed 06-May-20 16:32:52

My son also with mental health issues, called me in a terrible state of paranoia two weeks ago... i won't go into too many details but needless to say i drove down and picked him up - not with my OH ( not his father) blessing but agreement... he is now with us until he gets a job/a new place to live.
Golly it's hard work for all of us but his mental state has improved which is a relief. OH is finding it esp hard as never had children and my son is not a child... hard on us all. But you do what you have to do. Hope you can come u with a good solution LouTog for you all......thanks

Seajaye Wed 06-May-20 16:35:38

Just wondering who owns the house? most of the posters recommending dumping the partner in favour of your son seem to assume you own it outright but you didn't clarify this in your OP. If you can't resolve the issues bugging your partner it may not be viable to give him an ultimatum if your partner owns all or part of the house. Family generally does come first but only where realistically achievable. Best to navigate this with a more opened minded approach and to try and achieve what you feel is reasonable outcome for all concerned.

Jillybird Wed 06-May-20 16:36:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosina Wed 06-May-20 17:07:23

Unless there are drastic reasons for your partner's attitude I would be so disappointed in a man who is unable to understand your worries and your love for your son, and also your overwhelming need to help him.
The choice of resolution lies with you, but your son needs help now and your partner needs to see this; I hope you can work around this unhappy situation with some of the good advice here.

tickingbird Wed 06-May-20 17:54:35

I know we’re all different and some people need a partner but I could never put a man before one of my sons. It sounds as if you’ve allowed your partner to joint own your property so it’s difficult and you’re obviously beside yourself with worry over your son. I’d keep trying to get in touch with your son and if he needs to, ask him to come home. Sod your partner frankly!

Issie Wed 06-May-20 18:17:46

I agree with sussexborn! Your son is your son for life and he needs you now.

OpenUniversity2017 Wed 06-May-20 20:35:11

Um, difficult without knowing more info and detail. However, I can’t imagine being comfortable about ignoring a genuine need or cry for help from a child of mine, with or without the added complication of a partner ( father to the child or not). Good luck with this one and I sincerely hope it ends well .

emilie Wed 06-May-20 21:18:28

dump your partner

harrysgran Wed 06-May-20 21:33:46

Without any question your son needs to come before your partner and if your partner cared that much for you he would see your anxiety and agree .Many years ago I was with my now ex partner and didn't see how manipulative he was and I nearly lost my relationship with my son due to his resentment of my son don't let this happen

Jannicans Wed 06-May-20 22:01:56

Dump the partner, if he doesn't accept your son then he doesn't love you. It can only lead to serious problems for your son and yourself.

AlgeswifeVal Thu 07-May-20 06:36:11

Straightforward decision. Get rid of that horrible man you live with. If however, your son takes illegal drugs or is violent then I get your partners point.