Gransnet forums

AIBU

Holidays 2020 where are you going?

(112 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Mon 25-May-20 10:34:59

Who’s going on holiday this year my DH booked a steam train holiday early on this year for Sept/ Oct we’re travelling to the the north of Scotland for three nights here’s hoping it’ll go ahead and in my daily improvements that I’ll no longer need a wheelchair. The weather is going well so far fingers crossed ? it keeps good.

Bellasnana Tue 26-May-20 07:47:48

Two cruises cancelled but I can’t complain as I’ve already been to Italy, the Isle of Man, and the USA this year before the virus hit.

No desire to travel anywhere at all this year. In any case, our airport is still closed in Malta and no passenger ferries off the island either.

Elizabeth1, I really hope you can go on your trip. If anyone deserves a break it’s you. Glad to hear you are doing so much better.❤️

Missfoodlove Tue 26-May-20 08:57:41

April, Portugal cancelled
May, France cancelled.
July, Italy cancelled.
September, Lakes hopeful.
October, Greece hopeful.
November, Lakes hopeful.

Framilode Tue 26-May-20 09:19:55

Eventually we will get to our holiday home in Spain. We will drive over, probably through the tunnel, and just stop at the services for a bit of food and a nap.

harrigran Tue 26-May-20 09:29:04

No holidays booked, age and precarious health against us.
Barnard castle is just a nice little trip out for us but having visited often in my life I have no desire to actually stay there.

Calendargirl Tue 26-May-20 09:34:24

Reading these posts, it appears many of you go away every month or so, maybe only for a day or two at a time.

We don’t go anywhere much in summer, as we are busy with tomato plants etc. Growing, watering, picking, making into sauce.

I must be odd, as I aren’t bothered about going away much.

MiniMoon Tue 26-May-20 09:47:43

You're not odd Calendargirl. I'm not bothered about going anywhere either.
I am very happy in my own little piece of Northumberland, and really have no desire to go anywhere else.

Its DH who has the wanderlust I just tag along.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 26-May-20 09:52:14

We were booked to go to Lake Como on July 1st, but the travel company are giving us the option of transferring the holiday to next year, which we are hoping to do. Just waiting for the call back. We also have a holiday booked to Malta at the end of September. We would love to go, but will have to wait and see how things are.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 26-May-20 09:58:50

We have a number of provisional bookings for our caravan in Devon, somewhere we usually spend the first week of the month at, our home from home. We don't do travel abroad so won't miss that.

polnan Tue 26-May-20 10:00:40

I am so pleased that I haven`t been on holiday for some years now.... and have no desire..

MiniMoon lovely Northumberland....

DBOHB Tue 26-May-20 10:01:26

I am already there.

This morning I walked down Las Ramblas in Barcelona to the harbour, sat down at a cafe table and drank a coffee with an ensamada and "people watched". Unfortunately sent from my back garden!!!

Keeper1 Tue 26-May-20 10:03:53

We were due to go to Jamaica last year and due to husband’s health I postponed to this year and have now postponed again to 2021 but will have to wait and see how his health is.

dublingran Tue 26-May-20 10:09:50

I’ll wait & see . I have a son & 2 grandsons in Qatar & another grandchild due in Malta, but much as I want to visit, I’m going to be very cautious about flying - I’m immunosuppressed.
The good news here in Ireland is that no Covid deaths were reported yesterday.

Craftycat Tue 26-May-20 10:10:42

We were going to Rhodes but can't see it happening now. We will miss it as we go every year & have a lot of friends over there. It is a tough year for them as they rely totally on tourist trade.

TashaandRiver Tue 26-May-20 10:12:26

Due to go on one week cruise down the Dalmatian coast first week in October, on a small boat max 38 guests, balance of payment due in 2 weeks' time. No way do I want to go even if it is on. Social distancing would be impossible, I'm type 2 diabetic and DH has a (mild) heart condition. I think we will just have to lose our deposit. Waiting to see when we can get back to our house in SW France - will only go when, and if, the situation feels much clearer. ?

Coconut Tue 26-May-20 10:12:46

Should’ve been flying back from Cuba now ☹️
Have 2 sons who live in different areas of Kent, so intend to have a week with both as soon as we are allowed.
Had previously booked a flight to visit an old school friend in Spain in Sept, not sure how I feel about that just yet.

Rivernana Tue 26-May-20 10:19:53

April weekend in Chester- cancelled
Rhine Cruise booked for Oct 27th - don't know whether it will go ahead - hopeful.
Would like to book a Forest Holiday weekend in this country once it becomes safe.

Jan16 Tue 26-May-20 10:20:30

Teatime. We too have a cottage booked for Sept near Kirkby Lonsdale. Fingers crossed for both of us!

JillRB Tue 26-May-20 10:24:18

Well my DH and I are fortunate to have our own holiday home, which of course we haven't been able to visit since Lockdown began. When that relaxed a little we felt able to go and now the lawn, cut the hedge, check the house etc. We even relaxed and had a walk on the beach, feeling somewhat wicked - but we'd gone there to do work, and also for exercise, so felt it was perfectly justified. Now we are hoping that soon we and other holiday home owners will be able to open our doors and welcome guests once again, having lost our early bookings. Our place is in a quiet corner of Norfolk at Snettisham Beach, and indeed we had a lady self-isolating there right back at the start before the ban on lettings kicked in. So that's where we are looking forward to going!

sarahanew Tue 26-May-20 10:27:51

I shall just be visiting family when we're allowed to

GrammarGrandma Tue 26-May-20 10:29:31

We have a holiday booked in Crete for September with oldest daughter and her partner. We're all thinking it won't happen this year.

cathyd Tue 26-May-20 10:32:41

our trip to Canada was cancelled but I'm hoping campsites will be opened by autumn so we can get away in our caravan. We can still social distance and have fresh air

Dollydinkum Tue 26-May-20 10:36:23

I was hoping to book a few U.K. overnight or short breaks with Shearings or National holidays...but they are no more from last week. ?

HAZBEEN Tue 26-May-20 10:37:50

Hopefully the North East (Durham and Northumberland) later this year. My Daughter and Grandson are there, so we might be able to combine a visit with them and a little break so I can show my OH my favourite bits where I grew up. Then next year the Scilly Isles as i won the GN competition for tickets!! Boasting I know!!

4allweknow Tue 26-May-20 10:45:06

Won't be going anywhere unless caravan parks open. I too have a booking for the Harry Potter train in September this year but unless accommodation is open it will be a no goer.

MerylStreep Tue 26-May-20 10:51:41

Oopsadaisy
As a very experienced motohome I would advise that Cornwall is one of the worst places in the uk to start using a motohome. If he's not keen at the moment after that trip he will hate it. Add to that the campsite fees are extortionate.