Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBQ lockdown

(117 Posts)
Nanderin Sat 30-May-20 14:59:42

My next door neighbour decided it's okay to have a BBQ today with more than 8 people. Definitely not a meter apart. What is wrong with people it's far too early to lift lockdown.angry

Nannytrace Sun 31-May-20 19:21:02

Live and let live. Surely?

Smileless2012 Sun 31-May-20 19:55:22

Well we've just enjoyed another delicious BBQ. Perfectly cooked steaks courtesy of Mr. S. We've had several already and weather depending will have many more before summer is over; we love them.

'Our girls' next door have been complaining because of social distancing they haven't been able to join us and are looking forward to doing as soon as they can.

chatterbox2 Sun 31-May-20 20:26:54

We'll said Mad cat Woman

Dareyouto Sun 31-May-20 23:04:58

I am of the same opinion as Smileless 2012 and Nannytrace. As long as it’s not accompanied by loud booming music I love to hear my neighbours out in the garden having a good time and chatting away. Most BBQs nowadays are gas fuelled and doesn’t involve much in the way of smoke and, believe it or not, can produce some amazing meals.
What neighbours get up to in their own gardens is none of my, or other people’s business, as long as it doesn’t involve excessive noise or antisocial behaviour.
Let’s not all become a nation of moaning minnies and snitchers and just let people enjoy theirselves instead of dwelling on gloom and doom!

Delila Mon 01-Jun-20 12:44:23

Nanny100, thankyou for sharing that very moving painting. It conveys so much more than words.

Daftbag1 Mon 01-Jun-20 16:00:34

You're right to be fed up with the neighbours breaking the rules, but unfortunately, there are no rules left. People see Boris's support of Cummins following his jaunts and breaking of all the rules as an invitation to do as they choose.

This is despite members of SAGE stating that the easing of the lock down, is not in line with medical or scientific advice but is a purely political decision. 8000 positive testing results every day is too high a number to risk the potential of a second spike, and the promised track and trace is non proven as a method of reducing risks, and is in any case currently not up and running!

Smileless2012 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:00:52

There are rules Daftbag but there are people who chose not to follow them, just as some have been doing since the lock down began.

My understanding is that some of the scientific advisers don't agree with the gradual reduction of lock down restrictions at this time. but not all. On that basis, I don't agree that the decisions that have been taken are purely political.

Apart from Mr. S. having played bowls, following the rigid social distancing and hygiene rules issued by the government and followed by his club, we've changed nothing and have no intention of doing so.

When all shops can open on the 15th of this month, we know the sea side town where we live will be much busier so on the rare occasion we need to go into town, we'll do so early to avoid as many people as we can.

We are all responsible for our own behaviour, for following the rules or not. If there are people who see B's support of Cummins as an invitation to do what they like, then they're stupid; just as stupid as those who've been doing what they like since the lock down began.

MadCatWoman1 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:11:37

Jishere Some of the judgmental people on here would be ringing the police to report you for daring to have more than a few people around at your place. hmmI hope you had a nice time.

MadCatWoman1 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:14:43

Dareyouto I agree. There are a lot of whining, moaning, judgmental old biddies on here these days.

Iam64 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:20:29

Well this whining, moaning, judgemental old biddie is sick to the stomach about the BBQ s that have led to our moorland being set alight again.
Goodness, what a horrible way to describe other posters MadCatWoman.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:01:37

Does the term moaning, whining and judgemental also apply to people who judge others who are moaning and whining?

Sparklefizz Tue 02-Jun-20 08:47:40

Love it MissAdventure grin

Bobdoesit Sat 06-Jun-20 12:35:15

Iam64 You are so right! There are some very unpleasant folks on this forum and it is time they were removed. There that is me moaning and whining and frankly, I don't give a damn!

Jane10 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:02:29

Gosh. Who'd do the 'removing'?

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jun-20 13:06:26

A remoaner?

MawB Sat 06-Jun-20 13:26:08

Jishere Sun 31-May-20 14:50:45
Deffo with BlueBelle on this one. We have been told a gathering of 8 is ok why Monday? Who knows? But, is a few more really going to make a lot of difference

I didn’t realise you are in Scotland Jishere. Somehow I had you down as working for TFL after your comment about the colleague who died of Covid 19 after a passenger spat or coughed on them.
Or am I out of date?

is a few more going to make a difference OU ask.
Is bending the rules going to make a difference?
Is one or more face covering on public transport “going to make a difference”?
I am astounded at the number of members who with one breath condemn the government for their mishandling of the situation and with the next talk of hugging their little grandchildren, “secret” visits or social gatherings which breach guidelines, resuming childcare or frankly deny the importance of restrictions (ok for others, but we’re fine)
I was under the impression that the maximum number in England is six anyway
And it’s not really down to the smell of a garden barbecue but the numbers attending isn’t it?
As for the idiots who ave been lighting disposable barbecues on tinder dry heathland -there are no words for their stupidity.