Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think footballers taking the knee is hypocritical?

(117 Posts)
flopen Mon 13-Jul-20 09:09:19

My DH watches football a lot. It really gets on my nerves to see footballers taking the knee in support of BLM at the start of a match when I've not heard one of them protest against the working conditions of those building the stadium for the World Cup in Qatar, which amount to slavery.
They're happy to make meaningless gestures but indifferent to issues which they could actively do something about.

Whingingmom Mon 13-Jul-20 22:26:23

Wilfred Saha, Crystal Palace player was targeted with vile horrific racial abuse on social media this weekend. For this alone I think footballers are correct to take the knee.
I do know several professional players, from Premier League through to non league. The majority may have had a different sort of education to many of us (football apprenticeships) but their experience of life and opinions should be respected as much as anyone else’s. And the movement is not just about the abhorrent violence and racism in USA and here, it infers ALL black lives matter whether here, Qatar, USA, UAE, from the sweatshops in Leicester to the rest of the world. There is no excuse for treating people badly because of skin colour and I think taking the knee by high profile figures raises awareness in just one way.

Scribbles Tue 14-Jul-20 00:02:03

As for the pathetic fuss about saying taking the knee instead of kneeling........what does it matter.

Dear me! I expressed a simple opinion in less than three lines. One other poster wrote a line of agreement and that constitutes a pathetic fuss?
Gah! I'm outa here.

BibiSarah Tue 14-Jul-20 05:29:25

Judging by the (only) threads Flopen has started I suspect they’re only here for the sport.

Flow (of the) Pen indeed ?

Lucca Tue 14-Jul-20 08:20:52

Scribbles

^As for the pathetic fuss about saying taking the knee instead of kneeling........what does it matter.^

Dear me! I expressed a simple opinion in less than three lines. One other poster wrote a line of agreement and that constitutes a pathetic fuss?
Gah! I'm outa here.

Yours is not the only post to quibble about the wording of this.

PECS Tue 14-Jul-20 08:48:38

It is a distraction from proper debate and the nub of this thread.. endemic & systemic racism & how to demonstrate against it... to quibble over the wording of " take the knee" or "kneeling". We know what both mean..

timetogo2016 Tue 14-Jul-20 08:55:46

Were devoted to ALL LIVES MATTER.

Loislovesstewie Tue 14-Jul-20 09:03:41

The comments aimed at Saha were from a 12 year old boy. I imagine that he is the same type of 12 year old boy who when I was young would have drawn pictures of boobs on his books, twanged my bra strap and offered to show me his penis. I suspect that now he would be up before the headteacher being punished.
Of course he shouldn't have sent the tweets, but he's only 12. I can imagine him being bored and just wanting to cause mischief with little understanding of what he is doing.Nowadays the way to do that is on social media.
I suspect that my comment will cause a riot here but really he is probably not a danger to Saha . Unpleasant,yes, but no more than that. The best course of action would be for him to meet Saha and make an apology.

Galaxy Tue 14-Jul-20 09:11:51

I would want my child to be punished if he did any of those things you describe, I think I would be a bit of a rubbish parent if I didn't.

Grandad1943 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:15:22

Taking the knee is associated with the "Black Lives Matter" (BLM) organisation whose leadership is made up of people who are nothing short of political anarchists.

Those anarchists did gain widespread support from the police murder of a black person in America, but it would seem that very many who rallied to support BLM in the aftermath of the above incident now realise exactly what the organisation is that they signed up to.

Thankfully at sporting events over the last few days, many sportspeople including a considerable number in football are refusing to "kneel" with that being especially apparent at the Formula 1 Grand Prix where the majority of drivers seemed not to "kneel".

In Britain, no members of the police have been accused of kneeling on any persons neck while making an arrest, and therefore I certainly do not feel that this is an issue that requires to be "taken up" in Britain.

In regard to broader issues involving black people and other ethnic minorities, Britain has some of the strongest anti-discrimination legislation in the world by way of the Equality Act 2010. Therefore those that feel they are suffering intolerance and injustice should take action under the above legislation.

In my experience, the British Court and justice system adopt an equal attitude that "all lives matter" for those that reside in Britain.

Loislovesstewie Tue 14-Jul-20 09:16:51

I think I was pointing out that 12 year old boys are often still very immature , full of hormones and don't give much thought to who they are upsetting or how. He , and the boys at school fifty odd years ago, probably thought they were comedians and the funniest ever. Both were wrong of course.
And I would have been happier if those boys had been given a dressing down, thank you.

Grandad1943 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:25:08

I can think of some very loud-mouthed and out of order girls on the council estate I grew up on fifty years ago. Perhaps they also should have been equally given a "good dressing down".

Starblaze Tue 14-Jul-20 09:32:27

Yes OP I think you are being unreasonable

I also think all lives matter is unreasonable

Starblaze out grin

Oopsminty Tue 14-Jul-20 09:32:31

Call me naive but I was horrified to see the Tweet this 12 year old sent

My grandson is almost 12

Had he sent that Tweet I'd not be feeling any sympathy for him at all

Quite pleased this boy was arrested

In fact this action may well make the stupid boy realise that you can't just post anything online. Good lesson to learn

I saw this woman in the paper the other day. Words failed me. The fact she feels superior! Breathtaking arrogance.

www.newsbreak.com/news/0PaYHAbx/racist-former-southampton-fc-steward-is-banned-from-the-club-for-posting-we-whites-are-the-superior-race-on-facebook

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 09:42:06

If you think kneeling as a sign of respect as a response to police brutality is anarchy Grandad, I question your moral compass.

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 09:44:46

novaramedia.com/2020/06/01/the-uk-is-not-innocent-police-brutality-has-a-long-and-violent-history-here/

Iam64 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:46:40

Grandad thankfully is a one off on this site.

Grandad1943 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:57:12

GagaJo

If you think kneeling as a sign of respect as a response to police brutality is anarchy Grandad, I question your moral compass.

You can question whatever you like in regards to me GagaJo. However, I would question the moral compass of those that support and organisation that wishes to "defund the police" and release all convicted criminals in British prisons.

The above is nothing short of support for Anarchy. Also policing in Britain can in no way be compared to policing in the United States. The two countries are completely different in attitudes, governance and law enforcement with the only common denominator found in their Common language.

Grandad1943 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:59:31

Iam64

Yet another post from the forum member which adds nothing to the debate.

25Avalon Tue 14-Jul-20 10:04:30

Not one off grandad. There are others thank goodness. I see a black BLM activist in UK is comparing our police to the KKK! You couldn’t make it up!

EMMF1948 Tue 14-Jul-20 10:16:47

It's become a fad, which they feel obliged to follow.

No-one should be 'obliged' to make any gesture in support of anything but this issue has brought bullying to the fore, if you don't do as I do you must disagree with the issue, Lewis Hamilton's name comes to mind.
As with many well meaning things it has been hi-jacked for political purposes.

Loislovesstewie Tue 14-Jul-20 10:37:12

Lewis Hamilton is paid 40million a year to drive a car for Mercedes , the same company who used slave labour during WW2. I don't notice him refusing to be paid by them, or calling them out on that . He is entitled to his opinions and to take action as he sees fit but to me that smacks of hypocrisy.

ladymuck Tue 14-Jul-20 10:45:13

Iam64

Sometimes Grandad is the only one who talks any sense on this site. I usually agree with what he says.

Elderflower2 Tue 14-Jul-20 11:17:04

Peer pressure at the right time.

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 11:36:00

I guess you see the Civil Rights Movement, Women's Lib, Gay Rights as anarchy too. How equality is anarchy mystifys me, but maybe if you've always been privileged, equality is threatening.

AGAA4 Tue 14-Jul-20 16:28:36

I agree that we shouldn't compare policing in the UK to that practised in The US.