Gransnet forums

AIBU

Money to children

(81 Posts)
Buffy Fri 31-Jul-20 13:19:48

Our son and daughter-in-law both work and never ask for anything but we like to help them out financially if we think they need it. Now daughter-in-law’s parents see they are doing well and think they should financially support a brother and partner who are VERY extravagant and in debt. This couple are now splitting up and our son says maybe he should subsidise them, but that’s our hard earned money they would be parting with. Are we being unfair to be annoyed?

sarahcyn Sat 01-Aug-20 10:01:10

When you give someone money, it’s theirs, not yours.
If you are giving it with conditions they should be stated in advance.

Teddy123 Sat 01-Aug-20 10:09:44

"Money is the root of all evil" as the old saying goes.

So if you're generous to your family, I'm sorry to say you can't designate what they do with the money. I'd be irritated by this sort of situation too, despite what I've said.

With my lot, if I'm feeling flush and we're out and about, I try to pay for meals, drinks etc. Sometimes if they're looking at something (not ridiculously expensive) for the house, I might offer to pay. Other times I don't.

Don't worry about money.
Be happy that you can afford to be generous. I'm sure they appreciate your generosity.

Serendipity22 Sat 01-Aug-20 10:10:49

I give money to my son a d daughter to help ow and again and once the money is handed/transferred over it is absolutely nothing to do with me what they choose to do with that money.

I would help anyone with money if they were really struggling ( if I could afford to do so ) I see it as 'Taking a weight off their shoulders' ...

smile

Juneandarchie1 Sat 01-Aug-20 10:13:54

I have recently given my son some money because I wanted to. I have no intention of asking what he did with, it’s his now, not mine.

honeyrose Sat 01-Aug-20 10:15:49

Hi Buffy. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh, but personally I wouldn’t be giving your son and DIL money at the moment whilst this situation with her brother exists. Why should you subsidise your DIL’s brother?! Not your responsibility to do so. Your son’s BIL and his partner obviously can’t manage money and whilst they are being subsidised by others, may not learn the hard way to be responsible with their cash, to budget and not waste it on extravagant purchases. If I were giving money to my own son and DIL, it would be to be spent on THEMSELVES and not to be handed into others. If that sounds like i’d be stipulating how that cash is spent, then i’m sorry, but that’s how I would feel. I would not be happy for my money to be passed onto others.

amymorris01 Sat 01-Aug-20 10:26:09

I think that if you want to help your kids out thats great but my way of thinking is you make your own way in life and you shouldnt have to rely on parents to help out all the time. I know so many people waiting for thier parents to pop off to get an inheritence. I say spend it on yourself if you have "hard earned it".

4allweknow Sat 01-Aug-20 10:28:54

You give your money to DS with no strings attached eg you will only do x,y or z with it? You gave it away your DS can do what he wants with it, not your concern

Apricity Sat 01-Aug-20 10:33:00

Teddy123, sorry to be a pedant but it is an important distinction; the old saying (from the Bible) is that it is the LOVE of money that is the root if all evil not money itself.

GagaJo Sat 01-Aug-20 10:35:18

I would say to your son, 'Son, if you can afford to give money away, I'd like the £XXX I gave you back. I'm happy for you to use it for yourselves, but I'm not happy to support people that I'm not related to.'

I don't see the issue.

Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 10:48:53

Gagajo. I think I I’m with you.

Hithere
, you seem to always assume that grandparents are interfering. If I give something to my AC I don’t feel that I’m interfering, why should I have to wait until they ask ? My relationship with them is close enough that they would immediately say I’d they weren’t happy with the gift, be it Ones or anything else.

crazygranny Sat 01-Aug-20 10:50:10

The problem here isn't with your son and his wife who sound to be very sensible. The problem is the parents in law who feel they have a right to dictate how their grownup family's finances should be run. If your daughter in law's parents feel strongly that family should help then they must organise their own finances to do just that. They have no right to expect that siblings should step in to do what makes them feel better. You are quite right to feel furious that your son and his wife's lives are being manipulated in this way.

Kim19 Sat 01-Aug-20 11:01:27

I'm maybe having a particularly stupid day (or too early!) but I find the opener too complicated to fully grasp.

Tweedle24 Sat 01-Aug-20 11:15:51

I agree with others that once the money is given, it is no longer yours. Whether you choose to continue giving them money is for you to decide.

TashHag Sat 01-Aug-20 11:18:23

I haven’t read whole thread, so someone may already have said this, but if, as you say, your son and dil both work and are doing well, the majority of their money - regardless of what they choose to spend it on - IS theirs. NOT yours. I’d climb down off my high horse if I were you and stop thinking of whatever you’ve chosen to give as still belonging to you.

Jellybeetles Sat 01-Aug-20 11:18:41

Obviously they have to decide for themselves as the money from you was gifted but surely only the brother is relevant as his partner should have her own family to support her. Also, it is very unfair of your DIL’s parents to put that guilt trip on her. What if they give the brother money and anything happens to them and then they need the money themselves. And how much financial help ? It could go on for a long period of time ?

TashHag Sat 01-Aug-20 11:19:31

.... oops, yes, it looks as if many others probably have said it smile

jaylucy Sat 01-Aug-20 11:20:44

Ok, so you and your DH give financial support to your DS and DiL of your own free will, whether they need it or not. Andnow you are upset that they, in turn have possibly decided to help out DiL's brother and partner ?
Sorry, but that is like getting upset because your son has lent his friend his new bike that you gave your son for his birthday!
Keep out of it! Not sure why your son has even discussed it with you at all, but you gave him financial help so that help no longer belongs to you.You gave it and it is up to him what he does with it.

Juliet27 Sat 01-Aug-20 11:22:02

If your daughter in law’s parent are so worried about their son (your daughter in law’s brother if I’ve read it right) then they should be the ones to help him out financially.

Ijustwantpeace2020 Sat 01-Aug-20 11:22:04

In a similar vein we used to pay some money into our 8 year old gs account regularly towards whatever he needed. We only have one gc. Then our dil gave some of his cash spending money to her niece (a bit older) when we were away with them. I was fuming. Then another time dil said gs gave some of his money to said niece and her much older sister. Not loads maybe £10 each as they didn’t have as much spending money when dil went away with her sister and nieces. I’ve now stopped putting money in his bank and save it in my own bank for when he’s older. Unfortunately dil is a compulsive liar so never sure what the real story is. Don’t get me wrong we have treated these two girls over the years but I don’t think my young gs should be “giving away” his money at such a young age.

Frankie51 Sat 01-Aug-20 11:32:40

I would stop giving them money. You have no say over how they wish to use it. If they choose to subsidise relatives that's his choice but perhaps you are being over generous if he can afford to give it away? If you want to spend money on your son and his wife why not give them it in the form of gift cards or vouchers for meals, train tickets, cinema passes (post pandemic) something they can use?

Sadgrandma Sat 01-Aug-20 11:43:30

As someone else said this is your dil’ brother not your son’s so he doesn’t really have any reason to feel responsible for him. However, it is his money (not yours) so it’s up to him what he does with it it. Just a word of warning to your son though, giving or lending money to family members can cause problems in the family, as I have sadly experienced, so he needs to think carefully.

Lorelei Sat 01-Aug-20 11:46:37

I would be inclined to speak to your son and be honest. Obviously it is up to them how they spend their money. But, in answer to your question, I can see why you would be annoyed, and under those circumstances I would tell your son if they can afford to support his wife's relatives that's their lookout, but you will refrain from giving them your cash to do this with. You could reassure your son that if he and his wife ever really need some money they are welcome to ask you and, if you have it, you might help them out. Make it clear you are not a bank to support the wider extended family. If that other couple have chosen to live their life spending beyond their means, acquiring debts, and their relationship has also gone down the swanee, why the hell should you be expected to fund their next car, holiday, home improvements designer clothes, or whatever the hell it is they want extra money for. Let your son and his wife manage their own finances. Let your son and his wife support her relatives if that is what they choose to do. But don't let any of them use your cash to do this. Tell your son if he and his wife can manage OK with their own money there may be more of yours to inherit at a later date!

Personally I would have a frank conversation to your son, explain your reasons - I'm sure he will understand. They may have appreciated the financial gifts your have given them but if they don't NEED it, don't give it...they can't NEED it that much if they are considering giving it away to her brother & his partner...or, in your own words, "subsidise them". The couple (soon to be 2 single people from the sound if it) need to learn to curb their spending or better prioritise what they spend it on - they will never get to this point if continuing to build debts and ponce off relatives they guilt-trip into funding their next extravagance.

And, lastly, WTF are your sons in-laws doing trying to influence how their daughter and her husband spend their money. Why the hell would they think it is OK to ask them to "subsidise" other family members? If the in-laws want to support the irresponsible brother let them do it themselves - what a damned cheek. It often surprises me on these threads just how much some people feel entitled to interfere in the lives of friends and/or family and/or work colleagues. Keep your "hard earned money" and spend it on yourselves, save it, invest it etc - it is yours to do with as you wish and you obviously don't fancy watching someone else just squander it, so don't. Good luck. And if the in-laws stick their beaks in again, tell them to use their own bloody money.

GagaJo Sat 01-Aug-20 11:49:57

Ijustwantpeace2020

In a similar vein we used to pay some money into our 8 year old gs account regularly towards whatever he needed. We only have one gc. Then our dil gave some of his cash spending money to her niece (a bit older) when we were away with them. I was fuming. Then another time dil said gs gave some of his money to said niece and her much older sister. Not loads maybe £10 each as they didn’t have as much spending money when dil went away with her sister and nieces. I’ve now stopped putting money in his bank and save it in my own bank for when he’s older. Unfortunately dil is a compulsive liar so never sure what the real story is. Don’t get me wrong we have treated these two girls over the years but I don’t think my young gs should be “giving away” his money at such a young age.

Exactly the reason I won't put money into my GS's account that my daughter manages. She's used some of his money (that she saved) before when she was broke.

I'm happy to save for him, but I'm not having someone else spend it.

Stuart96 Sat 01-Aug-20 11:52:13

timetogo2016

No you are not.
I would pull back on being generous as ds wants to help his brother out, he IS doing it with your money.
And i would be inclined to say that to him tbh.

As others have said once you give your money away it is no longer yours. The only time I would try to impose any level of control is money given to buy a house. Money that goes toward a house purchase should be covered by a Deed of Trust so that should the house be sold as part of a divorce settlement the cash will be returned to the donor rather than become the subject of a court ordered disposition.

jocork Sat 01-Aug-20 12:06:36

Personally I'd just be glad that I'd brought my son up to be generous to others in need. I realise if they have been pressured by your DiL's parents to do so it may be difficult but if they can affort it then it is their choice.

Many years ago when my son was still at school, so my responsibility financially, he went to a music festival. While there he came across a girl without shoes as she'd lost them in the mosh pit. He gave her the older of his 2 pairs as he said he was worried she would cut her feet on broken glass. I was a bit put out that ultimately it was me who had to replace those shoes, especially as I was far from well off at the time, but I was so proud that he'd put someone elses needs ahead of his own. I know it isn't exactly the same but be glad you've raised a young man with a generous heart.