Gransnet forums

AIBU

Help! What to wear at my wedding!

(36 Posts)
Warmthlover Thu 15-Oct-20 11:04:21

My long-term partner and I are getting married in our village church in December. I’m just 70 and since I retired, I wear little other than joggers and jumpers, slippers or wellingtons. I can’t remember the last time I bought (or needed) anything smart to wear. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a suitable style of clothing I could buy and which brands (not too expensive!) to look at?

Jane10 Thu 15-Oct-20 14:53:52

Trisher that Joe Brown coat is gorgeous.

trisher Thu 15-Oct-20 15:03:12

Thanks Jane10 . It reminds me of one I had in the 70s. It was black and white tweed not velvet but it had fur around the hem, collar and sleeves I loved it.
Funny it is very Dr Zhivago as well.
But where would I wear it now ???

Illte Thu 15-Oct-20 15:12:42

Yes a great user name Fanny ? I may ask for a change?

ExD Thu 15-Oct-20 15:18:04

All I can say is that (personally) I think you should avoid the white/cream lacy 'elderly wedding dress'.
My friend wore a navy long sleeved dress with a full(ish) skirt under a navy cape with a white 'fur' stand-up collar, topped off with a navy fascinator. She's short and not very slim and she looked lovely. She did admit she's never worn the cape again.
Yes it was a bit Dr Zhivago, but none the worse for that.
I'm desperately looking for a photo but they must be on my old computer.

Jaxjacky Thu 15-Oct-20 15:58:21

Wool trousers, cashmere jumper, ankle boots and cape, thermal lacy t shirt and tights underneath. You’ll probably get use of them all later...maybe not the cape, unless you fancy being an action hero! I think it’s all in the fabric, you’d be warm.

BlueBelle Thu 15-Oct-20 16:36:00

Big congratulations Warmthlover

Oh don’t go for a white wedding dress unless you really want to Personally I m not keen on capes but if you like them then that would look fine
I m another who loves Joe Brown stuff they do come up a bit small though so get it in plenty of time for a return if needed
I also agree that Camilla usually looks very nice and not overstated
Whatever you decide on have a lovely day

Patsy70 Thu 15-Oct-20 16:41:34

I would opt for the Julie Christie (Chrustie grin look, Warmthlover. It is the right time of year to wear something long and lush - dress & coat, tights and long or ankle boots. No patterned or lacy tops, but maybe a bold colour, whatever happens to suit you, with a beautiful, fur-trimmed hat. The groom could wear a tie to match the bold colour of your outfit. Many congratulations and please let us know what you decide. (Incidentally, I work in a charity shop and there are bargains to be had. Also, you can return them if you change your mind within 14 days, they are then held for 72 hours before being steamed and hung in the shop.)

V3ra Thu 15-Oct-20 17:10:43

Ooh another vote for that fabulous velvet coat ?
It has a fur trimmed hood in case the weather's cold, so you wouldn't need a hat which would be easier on your hair.
You could wear a nice long-sleeved dress under it and look very elegant and sophisticated ?

Nortsat Thu 15-Oct-20 18:17:27

I’d go for a smart trouser suit, which I would expect to get plenty of other wear from.
I would dress it up with a lovely silk or lace shawl, to look a bit wedding-ey.

I got married in 2014, after living together for 38 years. I wore smart trousers and a dressy top. I have worn everything, including the shoes, many times since - on holiday, out for meals, to family parties and events.
My aim would be something classic.
Have a good root through M&S, Debenhams and House of Fraser, on line, as they often have discounts and offers. Do it now so that you can return things that don’t work.

Congratulations, have a happy day.?

Callistemon Thu 15-Oct-20 18:21:55

If you are a trousers person, you may feel uncomfortable in a dress which could require you to wear heels too.
However, that coat is lovely and you could wear boots if you wanted to.

I did go to a winter wedding where the bride wore a long cream dress covered by a cream velvet cloak with a large hood; it did look beautiful and unusual, but she was a bit younger (50s) and carried it off well.