Gransnet forums

AIBU

Driving lessons

(80 Posts)
Chloejo Wed 11-Nov-20 08:50:31

I’ve always regretted not carrying on with my driving lessons many years ago. Now in my 60s I still would love to drive to enable me to visit friends and go out at night more. Has anyone on here learnt to drive when older ?

Gwyneth Sun 22-Nov-20 22:20:16

I wouldn’t be without my car but have to admit that I don’t like night driving anymore . Many of my friends feel the same and we tend to use a taxi at night.

Gwyneth Sun 22-Nov-20 22:21:59

But go for it. Even if you only use it during the day it’s worth it.

Lexisgranny Sun 22-Nov-20 22:38:55

This June marked the 60th anniversary of passing my driving test. It was on a Monday, and I had the afternoon off school. Like my parents and grandparents before me I did not have formal lessons, just an experienced driver sitting in with me. To be truthful, I cannot say that I have ever loved driving, but I have loved the freedom that it gave me to get from a to b. Would I recommend learning to drive? Definitely!!

NiceasMice Sun 22-Nov-20 23:38:08

Also, daft as it may seem, buy a small toy car with flexible axles and practice reversing and parking until it is second nature. I often reflect that chaps find these tasks easier because they play with toy cars from babyhood
Haha I did the same with toy cars, I could see how far the wheels needed turning.
It's all part of the fun that some of us have might have missed out.

Do it Chloejo the road is yours to explore.