Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to get a bit annoyed every year with SIL giving us a Christmas card from a pack.

(318 Posts)
Kandinsky Tue 15-Dec-20 13:26:10

She’s my DH’s only sibling - you’d think she’d buy a special, ‘to my brother & family’ type card rather than a card from a box that she probably uses for the neighbours & milkman too.
I always buy ‘special’ cards for immediate family.
Also, they have money so that’s not the issue ( I’d completely understand if it was )

AIBU?

GillT57 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:44:56

Apart from buying a special one for Mum when she was alive, everyone else gets a nice charity card from the pack.

tiredoldwoman Tue 15-Dec-20 15:45:09

you don't deserve any card at all ! smile

kittylester Tue 15-Dec-20 15:48:04

The cards I cherish the most are from my friend over the road who makes the most beautiful cards herself.

Apart from that one the most important criteria to me is whether the cards are for Charity.

I think those special cards are terribly baff.

I'm only a bit judgemental blush

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 15-Dec-20 15:54:19

Everybody gets charity cards from me. In recent years I've cut my card list right back to close friends only as the postage has become, frankly, prohibitive.

I have two friends who both, independently, make their own annual hand-drawn and painted cards. One usually does a witty Christmas-themed watercolour involving her animals (by sheer bad luck she lost both of her cats this year, athough they have been succeeded by two very naughty kittens and I'm longing to see what this year's design will be), and one always does a hand-drawn angel engaged in some activity, often topical. I envy them this and every year I think this is the year I will do my own cards, and every year Christmas is upon me before I get around to it. So I'm afraid it's charity cards again.

TerriBull Tue 15-Dec-20 16:06:25

I get a special card for my husband, all the other cards sent are cards bought from a local church for various charities.

eazybee Tue 15-Dec-20 16:09:07

Is this serious?

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Dec-20 16:11:35

I buy special cards for family and close friends but everyone's different Kandinsky. Any card is preferable to no card.

Pittcity Tue 15-Dec-20 16:18:30

Yes. YABU.
I only send charity cards from a pack.
I make an effort to find the right card on the Birthdays and Anniversaries of close family but not at Christmas.
The long queue at our local branch of a discount card chain showed me that a lot of people do shop for cards like the OP.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Dec-20 16:21:59

I buy special cards for my immediate family and make all the rest ( which is no cheaper but gives me enjoyment) but honest if all you ve got to worry about and pick holes in is the type of card you get you’re one lucky lady
99.9% of people have much bigger things to worry about
Be glad you got a card at all

sodapop Tue 15-Dec-20 16:22:33

I enjoy sending and receiving cards despite criticism from some quarters. I think its just nice that someone thinks enough about me to send a card. I wish I was artistic and could make my own but sadly I have no talent.
I think you are being quite unreasonable Kandinsky.

AGAA4 Tue 15-Dec-20 16:30:15

I always buy special cards for my AC and GC but don't care if they don't. More pleasure in giving than receiving was what I was taught as a child.

trisher Tue 15-Dec-20 16:30:45

I think might be more upset if she sent me one of those sickening "special' cards. Most of them are awful. There are some really nice charity cards.

Fennel Tue 15-Dec-20 16:33:38

Another alternative is to use the online website -Ja.... La....
(hope that's not advertising.)
That's the only type of card I get now and they're lovely.
I agree those special cards are far too expensive.

Jomarie Tue 15-Dec-20 16:35:41

Minimoon snap - same experience ! I buy nice charity cards and everyone gets one of those excepting grandchildren who get individual cards from us as we get specially made or chosen cards from them - these take pride of place in our home obviously. Enjoying it whilst it lasts - tchsmile

Judy54 Tue 15-Dec-20 16:35:50

Oh dear tiredoldwoman "You don't deserve any card at all". How unkind. If we can't show kindness at Christmas when can we? I am grateful for any cards received because it means family and friends are thinking about me.

BBbevan Tue 15-Dec-20 16:40:25

I can’t stand those ‘ to my ‘ brother, sister, etc cards. A nice, preferably charity card, no glitter , is best

Greenfinch Tue 15-Dec-20 16:44:54

I think we all have different ideas on this topic which makes this an interesting thread. I don't like Facebook at all but love sending and receiving cards. I don't like the special cards but felt obliged to send ones to my cousins as they sent me one. The words were terrible and I won't do it again.Silly to be influenced by others but I thought I should make the effort. Wish I had got in first!

BlueBelle Tue 15-Dec-20 16:53:45

What’s Facebook got to do with sending cards greenfinch ?

LovelyCuppa Tue 15-Dec-20 16:59:21

Each to their own, but I'd prefer a charity card to the ones you are calling special cards. Those cards are full of someone else's words - so I don't find anything special about them at all!

Justwidowed Tue 15-Dec-20 16:59:47

I always send my son a special card but everyone else has a nice charity card.When my husband was alive we always sent special cards with the words being important. Both this year and last year I look through all the old cards (carefully saved) and choose one from each of us to place on the fireplace.The one I chose to display this year shows the word husband in a green cracker in front of a red heart with the words You're the best cracker I've ever pulled.It makes me smile .

Jane10 Tue 15-Dec-20 17:01:37

I think these 'special' cards are very tacky. I always used to buy charity cards but now I give a direct donation to the charity of my choice and buy the nicest cards I can find with a clear conscience.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 15-Dec-20 17:04:27

I send special cards for special birthdays.
I make some Christmas cards and the special people in my life get those.
Other than that I give a donation to Cornwall Air Ambulance.

Pity to think they have to spend a lot of money on sending you a special cards to show they are thinking of you at Christmas.

Nightsky2 Tue 15-Dec-20 17:05:54

Kandinsky. I don’t think it’s got anything to do with money. All the cards sent to friends and wider family are charity cards. We give the same to the paperboy and the postman. I do like to buy a few special cards for my immediate family.

Personally I think cards that have things like ‘Happy Christmas To My Brother/Sister In Law’ are so naff.

A card from a pack has got to be better than no card don’t you think.

Kandinsky Tue 15-Dec-20 17:20:41

Thank you everyone.
I think the overall consensus is I am being unreasonable.
I have read all replies.
Thanks again.

Greenfinch Tue 15-Dec-20 17:23:46

Sorry BlueBelle I was referring back to Doodledog's post.I should have made it clearer.