Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feeling bad about nephews visit

(60 Posts)
Glenfinnan Wed 23-Dec-20 23:51:24

We are being extremely careful with regard to the virus. Common sense and the Government guidelines say no Household mixing which I agree with! Do why did I feel so mean keeping my nephew and his daughter on the doorstep today when they delivered a gift to us!! Mixed up or what!

ReadyMeals Thu 24-Dec-20 11:03:50

I have a video doorbell and an enclosed porch. I leave the outer porch door unlocked in the day (inner door to house locked) and even when friends have visited to bring gifts they have to talk to me via the doorbell stream and leave the gifts inside the porch. That way we don't have to blast each other with aerosols. The trouble with standing 2m apart is we just naturally talk louder to cross the gap. Don't forget all sound transmission happens by moving air, it's not like light that is electric waves.

lemsip Thu 24-Dec-20 11:05:01

4allweknow!! at least 2metres at all times even with a mask!! Too keep you and the friend safe!

barbiann57 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:15:36

My grandson and his partner have come over from Ireland to see the family. My son in law told them to stay away. Now they have booked into a hotel somewhere, it is horrible having to do this to members of your own family.

Froglady Thu 24-Dec-20 11:17:13

You did the right thing - that's why I posted all my presents so I wouldn't have the issue of somebody on my doorstep and me feeling bad about keeping them there . Your nephew will understand and you can get together after all this.

Maggymay Thu 24-Dec-20 11:43:06

We delivered presents to DD and family yesterday via a doorstep drop off . Feels so sad but it is the right thing to do roll on the vaccine.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:44:28

I feel so rude clearly moving aside so that people we pass are at safe distance. It feels downright anti social and my son, who also stood away from the door yesterday, whilst delivering and collecting parcels, truly peculiar

I guess once we are vaccinated we can start to move cautiously back to “normal”, whatever the hell normal then is.

Tangerine Thu 24-Dec-20 11:44:37

You did the right thing. I am sure your nephew and great niece understood perfectly.

gillyjp Thu 24-Dec-20 11:56:28

Same here - exchanged presents via socially distanced doorstop procedure with DD, SIL and GC. DD was desperate to hug us but we resisted, but it was tough and goes against usual family experiences not only at Christmas but day to day ways. I just hope they manage to get the vaccine to as many as possible. The government need to act swiftly over this, but with so many new cases, people having to isolate, it will be difficult to roll this out. They'll draft the army in to help with administrating the vaccine I'm sure.

Joesoap Thu 24-Dec-20 12:06:11

We are leasing Christmas presents to my Son and his family but are only allowed into the garden and distance most people will be keeping their distance and not going into anyone else’s houses if they want to feel safe it’s only for this Christmas hopefully. Have a good Christmas everyone

Awesomegranny Thu 24-Dec-20 12:23:21

It’s difficult times and people do understand. Works both ways, they don’t want to put themselves at risk either. Contact is good outdoors or by phone. Why not call them tomorrow and wish them a merry Christmas and thank them for their gift, a little goes a long way at the moment.

sodapop Thu 24-Dec-20 12:32:49

Good idea Awesomegranny each kind thought helps. It does go against all our instincts not to offer hospitality especially at this time of year. Let's hope we can get together a bit more next year.

polnan Thu 24-Dec-20 12:44:30

same with not being able to hugs.. especially when someone upset.

I am visiting my ds and dil Christmas Day as is her mum and step dad, her mum had cancer op, and she is going,

now my older ds and dil and 4 gks, my support bubble... boxing day arrange, I can`t make my mind up whether to go or not.. but we can be in their garden.

newnanny Thu 24-Dec-20 12:49:04

You did the right thing. When we have all had vaccines invite him over then. If everyone behaved in the sensible way you did there would be less spread. The family across from me have had people in and out for about a week. They seem to stay for about half an hour then leave. It infuriate me.

cornishpatsy Thu 24-Dec-20 12:55:39

Had to laugh at Joesoap typo, leasing christmas presentsgrin

earnshaw Thu 24-Dec-20 13:01:04

we have been doing that with our daughters and their families for the past months, no one feels guilty, my daughters insist on it so please dont feel bad

Cabbie21 Thu 24-Dec-20 13:06:53

I took presents to my son and we all stood on the drive. They kindly provided me with a seat so I was able to stay a bit longer.

Tiggersuki Thu 24-Dec-20 13:10:36

I too hate this Covid world and now life at times feels a bit of an endurance test.
During the last week as people have popped round to deliver cards and gifts it feels rude to leave people on the doorstep to shout at each other from about 8 feet away. Yesterday in the pouring rain a friend would not even step into our hall when I stepped back about 12 feet. Very uncomfortable but my husband says at least my Christmas cake which he reckons I share too freely will last another week!!!!
We are all sharing this horrible weird existence. Roll on vaccination.

TwinLolly Thu 24-Dec-20 13:45:54

May call and apologise/gently explain why you didn't let them in but reassure them too, that you wouldn't normally hesitate under the circumstances. Best of luck and merry Christmas. tchwink

TwinLolly Thu 24-Dec-20 13:46:33

Not May... I meant "Maybe"..blush

Craftycat Thu 24-Dec-20 14:05:55

We swopped presents with son, DIL & GC on drive yesterday. It was so hard not to be able to hug them. I confess I shed a few tears after they left. Spoke to my older DGC last night-they were coming here for Christmas day. Now I have a huge turkey for 2 of us & 3 cats.
What a strange year!

Gingergirl Thu 24-Dec-20 14:12:11

You did nothing wrong. It’s instinct to be with family and so it’s bound to feel wrong. I think at some level we will all go through it. Perhaps you could text, email or phone to say thanks again if they gave you a gift, and to say sorry they couldn’t have come in. (I bet they weren’t even expecting to anyway but it will help you feel more settled).

Oldbat1 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:18:56

Craftycat we’ve chopped our turkey in two. Half for the two of us tomorrow and the other half in the freezer for Easter. We did the same last year.

Wibblywobbly Thu 24-Dec-20 14:24:17

I felt exactly the same when my lovely aunt delivered a present. It felt so mean not to invite her in for a cup of tea and give her a hug. People do understand though.

Tolaton21 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:29:10

My son & GC are coming this afternoon to swap presents, my husband has MS can’t stand. So I’ve opened the side gate, opened the patio doors & turned my husbands chair around. They will stand back in the garden.!!!
Ps it’s going to be very cold & windy, I’ve poured myself a glass of sherry ready to warm me up !!

lmfielden Thu 24-Dec-20 16:03:29

We don’t let anyone in....nobody has entered since March...my children and grandchildren think I’m nuts making them stay in the garage while I talk to them through the window...breaks my heart! ??