Gransnet forums

AIBU

Birthday flowers

(232 Posts)
HomeAgain123 Wed 03-Feb-21 15:03:06

This May come across as ungrateful but I’m not just a bit ‘unthought of ‘ it’s been my birthday recently and I received 3 bouquets of flowers and a box of chocolates beautiful as they are from my AC I’m think really am I just a click of a button to them and feel no thought has gone into me . I try very hard to buy them gifts fir there interests and hobbies always well received. I can’t blame lockdown as it’s happened before ..... my daughter knows I dislike cut flowers .... im just thinking i won’t bother in future flowers for sons and daughters ...

Nanny27 Sun 07-Feb-21 15:46:33

I'm afraid I do understand the sadness of the OP here. Flowers, though lovely are somewhat impersonal aren't they. Lovely to say "I love you" or "I'm sorry" but easily bought and sent. If my AC's spent so little time I would be disappointed too. Lots of people here are saying how difficult it is to buy presents at the moment. Really? I have bought and sent some lovely gifts this year using the myriad of on line traders. 'Cottage' 'Etsy' etc etc.

kaz27 Sun 07-Feb-21 17:35:48

I would be happy with flowers although I am usually asked what I want. What I hate, in normal times, is those horrible moonpig type printed cards. I like my cards to have a hand written message in. I realise that in these times it is not acceptable to be browsing birthday cards though.

Ollymills Sun 07-Feb-21 17:39:47

Hi, why not create an Amazon wish list. Once complete let your relatives know. Then it's easy for them to select something from it, have it gift wrapped and sent to you without leaving the house. That way you get something you want and they are happy too. Simples!

Armoria Sun 07-Feb-21 22:39:08

So when you get these flowers and chocs up dislike, what do you do with them? Chuck them away? Dump the flowers on a vase and put them somewhere out of the way? Do you eat the chocs or chuck them in a cupboard to languish there until you find them spring cleaning? If so can I make a suggestion please. Why don't you actually do something with the flowers such as trying your hand at flower arranging? Garden centres are open to get some green Oasis foam and other bits or get them online. There are loads of free floristry tutorials on You Tube as well as books on Amazon. The other alternative is flower drying and pressing. Again You Tube has videos and lots of ideas for some simple crafts using the dried or pressed blooms. If you end up loking any of the above and fancy getting in further, tell your children thanks to their flowery gifts you have a new hobby and would love to have more books or bits and bobs to further your skills. Hopefully they might get the hint or just outright ask! With regards to chocolates, drop one or two into a mug of milky coffee or hot chocolate and stir to melt. Failing that I'll send you my address as I run a rescue centre for unwanted confectionery!

Harmonypuss Mon 08-Feb-21 01:44:40

If you don't like cut flowers and your friends/family know this then they are clearly not giving any thought to you whatsoever. Chocolate are also known to be the 'I can't be bothered to think about what to buy' substitute.

Personally, I've been known to refuse flowers from the delivery company in the past and they've had to take them back to the shop and notify the buyer that they've been refused. As far as chocolates are concerned, I've looked at them and said 'thank you for the thought but you know I don't eat (nuts/ plain choc.....), so these are of no use to me'. My ex- husband was the worst culprit for this, he knew right from when we first met that I can throw up just looking at a box of Ferrero's, but he insisted on buying them every mothers' day, birthday, easter and xmas, suffice to say I didn't tolerate him as a husband for too many years!

I know it's meant I've ended up with no gift from the giver on that particular occasion but they get the message eventually and if they don't, I just send them the chocolates back for their birthday/xmas and have even made the point of putting a post-it note on them saying that I'm regifting them back to them because I've told them several times that I don't eat/like them.

If rather have nothing than something I hate.

My son is an absolute star though, even through the pandemic, rather than buy something random he knows that is hate, he's sent me a lovely card with a little note saying "I owe you ..... a day out/lovely meal/book/gift of your choice at some point when we can get out to choose something properly".

Basically, what I'm saying is that there's no excuse for buying things that wouldn't be enjoyed or are simply thoughtless just as a way of sending something/anything on the specific date. A thoughtful card and a note to say you'll do something at another time is much better!

effalump Thu 11-Feb-21 12:31:09

Why not send any family members that normally do this a polite email saying " Thank you so much for the flowers I received for my birthday recently, but could I make a suggstion? During these weird times when a lot of charities are losing out, perhaps you could make a donation in my name to (your favourite charity) for future special days." If you're not happy with that, do what I do, everyone generally knows to send me an Amazon gift voucher for birthdays or christmas. I am never offended by that.