Gransnet forums

AIBU

Birthday flowers

(232 Posts)
HomeAgain123 Wed 03-Feb-21 15:03:06

This May come across as ungrateful but I’m not just a bit ‘unthought of ‘ it’s been my birthday recently and I received 3 bouquets of flowers and a box of chocolates beautiful as they are from my AC I’m think really am I just a click of a button to them and feel no thought has gone into me . I try very hard to buy them gifts fir there interests and hobbies always well received. I can’t blame lockdown as it’s happened before ..... my daughter knows I dislike cut flowers .... im just thinking i won’t bother in future flowers for sons and daughters ...

MissAdventure Wed 03-Feb-21 17:28:29

I always told my daughter she could "owe me one".

Then, months later when I'd forgotten all about it, we may be shopping and I'd see something lovely, but would be hesitant to buy it.
She would say she'd buy it for me, and it was genuinely a lovely surprise smile

Sorry, I just felt the need to tell someone that. Don't mind me.

Elizabeth1 Wed 03-Feb-21 17:34:55

I’m always sending flowers and the people I send them to are always grateful they’re not too expensive from NEXT and can go through the letterbox they flower out beautifully after a couple of days - wish I would get flowers sent to me. Who knows? I believe it’s valentines day soon wink

Tangerine Wed 03-Feb-21 17:37:47

I have bought flowers and chocolates for quite a few people during the current situation.

Yes, you can order other things online but, if they have to be sent back, it can mean a trip out to the Post Office.

Sorry OP but I understand why your children have bought flowers and chocolates.

Patsy70 Wed 03-Feb-21 17:53:56

Happy Birthday HomeAgain123. flowers ?

2020convert Wed 03-Feb-21 17:58:44

Take any present with good grace. I’m sure their intentions were good ones and they thought flowers would cheer you up.
My husband always ignored presents (but would sulk if he didn’t get any) so I decided long ago that I “could” spend the equivalent number of years on something I wanted.
Belated happy birthday

HomeAgain123 Wed 03-Feb-21 19:08:57

Sorry I didn’t mean to come across as ungrateful ... yes a bad day but both sons just had birthdays and I bought hotel stay for 1 ( lives overseas ) and a wine tasting course for other ...DIL had Tillyanna personalise bag plus garden plants all well received think i just felt no thought M&S click yes better than not being thought of and may be bit ungrateful but after all these years they should know I dislike cut flowers oh well next year cut flowers for all ????

Witzend Wed 03-Feb-21 19:14:32

Personally I’d much rather have flowers than any more ‘stuff’ I wasn’t able to choose and didn’t particularly want, or clothes that might be nice enough, but not what I’d have chosen.

For a very recent birthday I had some lovely scented narcissi from a friend, and a beautiful planted basket of spring flowers from a dd. And posh chocs from another dd.
Perfect. The chocs were especially popular with dh!

seacliff Wed 03-Feb-21 19:23:26

You could tell them now that for future Birthdays, if they didn't mind, you would really prefer to have a garden voucher. Say you prefer to choose a shrub or plant that will last, rather than cut flowers. Then you could go and choose your own gift, which in itself would be a pleasure.

It must be hard for them to think what to get you, especially now. and at least they do all remember. This way they could still buy the voucher easily, and know you are happy.

HomeAgain123 Wed 03-Feb-21 20:19:30

No as mentioned I buy something personal ie my daughter runs so money for trainers son ‘ dubai life style ‘ so hotel voucher all appropriate well received and thought about ...... it’s the thought that’s bothering me ‘mum’s birthday better get some flowers ‘ not the money spent

MissAdventure Wed 03-Feb-21 20:35:08

Perhaps they do genuinely believe that flowers are something you really enjoy?

Nansnet Thu 04-Feb-21 06:43:37

I think present buying is a bit of a chore, not knowing what to buy people. Yes, it's nice to give, and receive, but everyone has different tastes in clothes, perfume, home decor, etc. It's very difficult to get it right, even for a close family member, or friend.

Personally, I'm more than happy to receive flowers/chocolates, which I enjoy looking at, and eating ... and knowing that I've at least been thought of! I'd hate to think my son or daughter were stressing over what to buy, when they both have busy lives, and there's not anything that I really NEED, so it's often spending money just for the sake of it ... I'm grateful to receive anything. Although, admittedly, DD does put a lot of thought into her gifts, which is lovely, but I'm equally appreciative of the beautiful flowers from DS and DiL! It's the thought that counts.

CanadianGran Thu 04-Feb-21 08:11:12

I'm like Nansnet and find it difficult to choose gifts, especially for long distance. I always love getting flowers, but understand that getting 3 bouquets at once may be a bit much.

You can gently suggest a gift certificate for your favourite store next year.

janeainsworth Thu 04-Feb-21 08:14:32

Why don’t you just give them a list of things you’d like, if you don’t like flowers and chocolates?

Personally l don’t want my family spending hours agonising over what to buy me. I know they think about me and MrA every day, as we do them and they would be here at the drop of a hat if we had a real problem. That’s enough for me.

They also know that flowers, chocolates, wine and even gift cases of craft beer are very gratefully received.

Personal things like clothes, perfume or geeky things for my camera I prefer to choose for myself.

Teacheranne Thu 04-Feb-21 08:37:04

You need to subtly let your family know what kind of things you would like. I’ve made sure mine know that I don’t like cut flowers, prefer a plant, nor “smellies” due to various allergies. But I rely on them to stock me up with gin, gin and more gin!

I’m the one who has opted out of Christmas present buying as mobility issues make shopping impossible. I now but a small token gift, often something consumable and the same for all the women and men, together with a substantial gift voucher of their choice. My adult children get a few small presents and a large sum of money to use as they wish.

isla1 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:21:51

Good Morning Home Again 123.........

I love flowers - so if you do not want them - please send them my way.

I think we get to an age - where we appear to have all we need - or can afford to buy what we need. Flowers is a great pressie.

isla1 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:22:35

P.S, Many Happy Returns.

tom16 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:24:11

I wish somebody would send me flowers!

4allweknow Thu 04-Feb-21 10:27:45

I always think of flowers and chocolates as being a very expensively gift and do cringe sometimes when I think of what they may have cost. I do though always acceot them as a token of having been thought of, remembered and appreciate them. At Christmas I received a rhododendron in a lovely metal pot, that was a real change. The plant is still flowering. Maybe you should try to give a hint a potted plant would be appreciate rather than cut flowers and chocolate.

Mini2020 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:28:57

I think due to the restrictions we are under, I would be very grateful they remembered me.

jane1956 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:30:29

I thinks at our age flowers are great at you just enjoy them and then get rid, I hate loads of body sprays and bath stuff, (working my way through such stuff now from Christmas and January B'day) Much prefer flowers.

JeannieB44 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:30:45

I am 65 this year and my husband is treating it like a big birthday which is lovely and I am grateful but I do not see it as such. I have told my younger child not to treat it as special as they have a young family and money is tight. Like many I just want to spend time with them all but that will have to wait. I always tell mine not to buy plants as they never survive long!

Dearknees1 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:32:39

I'm always pleased our son remembers our birthdays and other occasions. I have to remind him about other people in the family. I know they're busy looking after our grandchildren and working so I'm happy to know they think of us whatever the present.

Mazzer04 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:33:12

Your lucky I didn’t receive anything from my son and daughter-in-law to be, not in my birthday or Christmas not even a card . I too always ask what they want and get what they want. Charming .

Hellsbelles Thu 04-Feb-21 10:34:00

I haven't had a birthday present / Christmas one for 2 years from my adult dc / dh because they don't know what to get me ! Be careful what you wish for .

HomeAgain123 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:34:14

So positive today I gave some flowers ( I had 25 bunches of daffodils ) to both my neighbours And just off to leave some on my mums door step so just 2 huge vases left of daffodils and the rest I’m going to make smaller bouquets for friends . As said not ungrateful just hmm ...... going to suggest no gifts in future
Happy Thursday everyone.