Gransnet forums

AIBU

Leaving long hair wet on a 7 year old granddaughter

(134 Posts)
Londonia Sat 03-Apr-21 20:42:05

Does anyone else find it unreasonable to leave a child's long (though not particularly thick) hair wet after washing it - rather than using a small hairdryer. I find it unreasonable and have discussed it with daughter and s in law. They just consider it is not necessary. To me it's important for a couple of reasons. Just interested an objective point of view. Thank you. New member.

Elegran Sun 04-Apr-21 17:24:53

Towels dry it enough to stop it dripping down the child.s back. It would be damp rather than sopping wet.

Deedaa Sun 04-Apr-21 17:30:30

There was certainly no money for luxuries like hair dryers when I was a child. my long hair was just towelled dry and left. Can't remember if I used one for DD. Probably not often, she wouldn't have wanted to sit still for that long.

JaneJudge Sun 04-Apr-21 18:35:02

I was brought up to never leave the house with wet hair and to dry it too, so I used to dry the children's hair when they were little

NotTooOld Sun 04-Apr-21 18:39:39

Nanna58

My hair was always left to dry like this when I was young, and I didn’t come to any harm. Was never allowed to wash it the week I had a period as my Nan told my Mum that would send you mad , but that’s another story !!??

Me too! You jogged my memory but I do now remember that was a very prevalent tale in the 50s/early 60s. Can't imagine why!

MagicWand Sun 04-Apr-21 18:41:21

Welbeck grin

NotTooOld Sun 04-Apr-21 18:41:38

My dd does not dry dgd's hair either. She even goes to bed with it wet. I think it's odd and I worry she'll get a cold in the head but I know better than to comment!.

jenpax Sun 04-Apr-21 18:50:44

Yet another who didnt use a hair dryer on my DD’s hair, rarely on mine and we have all survived?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 04-Apr-21 18:56:16

We didn't have a hair drier when I was a child so we had no choice but to let our hair dry naturally and it didn't do us any harm, though it was a bit grim. Our house was older, colder and damper than many homes are today. We'd lounge on the rug by the fire during the winter to try to help it along.

MerylStreep Sun 04-Apr-21 19:00:48

NotTooOld

My dd does not dry dgd's hair either. She even goes to bed with it wet. I think it's odd and I worry she'll get a cold in the head but I know better than to comment!.

Absolute rubbish. www.carespot.com/blog/medicine-or-malarkey-will-you-catch-cold-if-you-go-bed-wet-hair/

Daisend1 Sun 04-Apr-21 19:33:16

Wet / damp hair (*mine*) irritates me the way it clings . Can't dry it quick enough after getting out of the shower.

FannyCornforth Sun 04-Apr-21 19:48:52

This ridiculous thread is just a complete and utter waste of everyone's time
As an aside, I've just used Philp Kingsley's Elastersizer for the first time
I've had it on under a shower cap for 4 hours .
I've just rinsed it off. I'll report back if anyone is interested!

FannyCornforth Sun 04-Apr-21 19:50:09

In fact, I'll report back, whether anyone is interested or not! ?

Dustyhen2010 Sun 04-Apr-21 21:51:09

Grannynannywanny

This thread has cast me back to my childhood in the 60’s. My lovely Dad worked in a factory and the men used to pay a small amount every week into a savings club. Then withdraw the cash for special occasions eg holidays, Christmas etc.

My Dad saw a contraption in a shop window and decided to withdraw his club money to buy it for me and my Mum. He arrived home proud as punch with our surprise.

It was a Pifco Princess hairdryer with hood attachment. Basically a hairdryer with a corrugated hose that attached to the hood. The hood resembled a plastic shower cap.

My Mum didn’t want to hurt his feelings and say what a waste of money. So we did our best to use it a few times. The shower cap inflated with hot air and after 3 mins of use the hose overheated. The inside of the cap was unbearably hot.

Did anyone else have one? The hairdryer was ok but the hood attachment was a one hit wonder. I’ve found a photo of it online.

Yes I had one similar. Mine had a shoulder strap so you could walk around with the unit while your head was in the shower cap bit. I remember putting curlers in and trying to dry my hair. Although very hot my hair didn't seem to dry properly.

Regarding the topic. I am so surprised that many people didn't/don't dry their hair. I always remember us having a hair dryer. I assumed everyone did. My mum was always insistent that I didn't go out with wet hair and I suppose I carried that on with the children. I couldn't bear to lie on damp hair in bed.

Elegran Sun 04-Apr-21 22:28:01

I don't know why so many people assume that children whose hair isn't dried with an electric hairdryer go to bed with wet hair. There is no law that says that hair must be washed at bedtime. If it is washed early in the day and partly towel dried there is time for it to be dry by the evening.

Callistemon Sun 04-Apr-21 22:33:51

FannyCornforth

This ridiculous thread is just a complete and utter waste of everyone's time
As an aside, I've just used Philp Kingsley's Elastersizer for the first time
I've had it on under a shower cap for 4 hours .
I've just rinsed it off. I'll report back if anyone is interested!

I found a tube in the bathroom cabinet, I think it came in an Advent Calendar a couple of years ago.

I didn't use it because it says leave on overnight and I wondered if it would mess up the pillows. I usually have a shower first thing.

Trisha57 Sun 04-Apr-21 22:39:52

I never dried my children's hair with a hairdryer when they were little. My grandaughter has never had her hair dried with one either, and hers is very long and thick. Nonsense to say you will catch a cold if you go to bed with wet hair. A cold is caused by a virus, not wet hair! I do remember my dad once bringing home a Morphy Richards hairdryer when I was about 10 (in the mid-60s). It was bright pink - although I think you could also buy a blue one if you were so inclined. My mum looked at it very suspiciously and only used it on "special occasions", and it took so long to dry her hair anyway that she decided it wasn't worth the effort of holding this huge, heavy gadget and it was eventually relegated to the kitchen cupboard along with the "teasmaid" that he also bought on a whim!!!!

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Apr-21 23:31:31

Elegran

I don't know why so many people assume that children whose hair isn't dried with an electric hairdryer go to bed with wet hair. There is no law that says that hair must be washed at bedtime. If it is washed early in the day and partly towel dried there is time for it to be dry by the evening.

At least half a dozen posters have mentioned going to bed with wet hair, usually in the context of it doing no harm.

Ro60 Mon 05-Apr-21 01:32:22

FannyC I've just quickly googled Phillip Kingsleys elasiciser are you mad! Or is this another April Fool? - it's £60+ ! Do report back!

welbeck Mon 05-Apr-21 02:08:32

is it to make the hair stretchy ?
why would you want elastic hair.
i live a simple life.

NotAGran55 Mon 05-Apr-21 07:02:52

Philp Kingsley's Elastersizer has absolutely no effect on my hair at all Fanny . I had a small tube that cost £9 . How did you get on with it ?

Esspee Mon 05-Apr-21 07:04:28

Who else feels that members who do not come back onto a thread to at least thank everyone for taking the time to respond should be banned from posting again?

It’s just so bloody rude.

NotAGran55 Mon 05-Apr-21 07:20:59

Esspee I started a thread about this subject a few weeks ago . A fair few posters thought it was was perfectly OK!

Ro60 Mon 05-Apr-21 07:24:24

Ah £9 not so bad. Must have been hairdressers bulk but I saw.
Yes Esspee they should come back but as someone suggested it's school holidays. At least it's generated a nice conversation. ?

Lucca Mon 05-Apr-21 07:33:44

Esspee

Who else feels that members who do not come back onto a thread to at least thank everyone for taking the time to respond should be banned from posting again?

It’s just so bloody rude.

I do. There have been a lot.

Lucca Mon 05-Apr-21 07:36:32

Actually I just re read your comment... no I don’t think they should be banned, there’s been too much banning, but I do think they are rude, as are posters who don’t read a thread!